danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Re: Paying Back the Fed $7500 Tax Credit if Selling a Leaf?

Not sure what state the OP is in, but he also said STATE credit. Last I checked, in CA, they require you to own the vehicle for 2.5 years or you have to repay the rebate. Do they actually enforce that rule? No idea.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
voltamps
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

danrjones wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:59 am Not sure what state the OP is in, but he also said STATE credit. Last I checked, in CA, they require you to own the vehicle for 2.5 years or you have to repay the rebate. Do they actually enforce that rule? No idea.
Great point. I'm checking Colorado state law on that. Interesting California has the repay clause, hope Californians read this, as many have bought the Tesla Model 3 when it first came out and pocketed a profit as soon as they got it practically.

You're Ridgecrest, cool. Lived in Palmdale 21 years ago, knew some China Lake Navy technicians that came down to Edwards AFB & Palmdale too to work Lockheed programs with me. A Leaf is perfect for those commutes to the local base up there!
2022 Leaf SV+
2020 Leaf SV - sold
2022 Maverick Hybrid
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)
& Some really junky gasoline vehicles, not green, except for a Ford C-Max Hybrid, nice one.
danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

voltamps wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:18 pm
danrjones wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:59 am Not sure what state the OP is in, but he also said STATE credit. Last I checked, in CA, they require you to own the vehicle for 2.5 years or you have to repay the rebate. Do they actually enforce that rule? No idea.
Great point. I'm checking Colorado state law on that. Interesting California has the repay clause, hope Californians read this, as many have bought the Tesla Model 3 when it first came out and pocketed a profit as soon as they got it practically.

You're Ridgecrest, cool. Lived in Palmdale 21 years ago, knew some China Lake Navy technicians that came down to Edwards AFB & Palmdale too to work Lockheed programs with me. A Leaf is perfect for those commutes to the local base up there!
This generation of the Leaf seems to be holding up acceptably well here in the heat, so far. But when I first got it I saw stories on here of one of the very early Leaf adopters, also who lived here, and his story did not end well. The heat cooked his early Leaf to the point he had to get rid of it (at a big loss) because he couldn't make his commute anymore. I have a coworker who drives a Bolt between Palmdale and Ridgecrest every day. So times are changing, but there are always growing pains.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
BeyondBeLeaf
Delivery Date: 28 Dec 2021

Triggerhappy007 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 am Don't worry, you're fine. The IRS won't come after you for that.

I understand this is what Wesley Snipes' accountant said to him.
Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

BeyondBeLeaf wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:37 pm
Triggerhappy007 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 am Don't worry, you're fine. The IRS won't come after you for that.

I understand this is what Wesley Snipes' accountant said to him.
We're better than his accountant, we're people on the internet.
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD
2022 Leaf Plus SV White/Black-Sold
gcrouse
Delivery Date: 03 Apr 2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... heats/amp/

I think the bit issue ended up being with blatant fraud prior to VIN number request and confused people who leased the cars trying to claim the credit - not so much a bona fide purchase where you decide to sell later for the federal tax credit.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”