Rusting bolt on front suspension strut - would you buy this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecoffee

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a second hand 2015/2016 Leaf in the rainy UK. I've read about the issue with rust on the front side suspension strut. The last two cars have had some rust here. (see photos below). The question is - how bad is this? Would you buy a car with this level of rust? What's the right way to asses this? Should I ask them to clean it up first? Is it likely to be an MOT failure (I'm in the UK)? If it did, how much would it cost to put right?
Many thanks for your advice.

Two examples from two different Leafs below:
NVuHtrP.jpg

Hht7nVE.jpg

This is a too-common issue, as Nissan neglected to provide a good watertight cap for those strut bolt ends. Usually all that is needed is a good cleanup, maybe a new nut, some grease and an improvised or aftermarket plastic or rubber cap. In at least one of these, though, it's possible a new or used strut might be needed, just to get a good threaded top mounting rod. I wouldn't pass on a car based on this, but look for serious rust elsewhere, and price a strut; you might get that much knocked off the price.

There was a guy on YouTube who used some weird kind of stopper or plastic lid to make a cover for this area. Can't find the video again right now. But those and a copious coating of grease (or even some anti-seize) should solve any further issues in this area. Edit: It was the cap from a pot of yogurt! LOL!

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21723

Yes, all that those pictures need is some penetrating oil, and an impact wrench. Then a new nut. Or you may want to put on some anti-rust disolver for a day before you try to loosen.

Nissan sells the caps for this for about $12 each. I put mine on a long time ago, with no issues.

The cap is the same one i think for a juke or versa...

mwalsh said:
There was a guy on YouTube who used some weird kind of stopper or plastic lid to make a cover for this area. Can't find the video again right now. But those and a copious coating of grease (or even some anti-seize) should solve any further issues in this area. Edit: It was the cap from a pot of yogurt! LOL!

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21723

Ha!.... I'm using a lid from a Korean Kimchi container. Just waiting for the wife to empty another one so I can cover the other side.

https://leisureguy.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/kimchi.jpg

Yikes, that looks really rusted for its age. And the rubber is cracked, too.

I would buy it, but I would point it out to the seller and tell them they must make a concession. Then I would drive the car and not worry about it to be honest.

Take the nut off, remove what rust you can and paint it with copper antiseize, put the nut or a new nut back on and call it good.

powersurge said:
Nissan sells the caps for this for about $12 each. I put mine on a long time ago, with no issues.
The cap is the same one i think for a juke or versa...

The Nissan part number for both the Leaf & Versa is; 54330-ED000
The price ranges from about $3.00 on eBay to 16.00 from Nissan.

Finally got around to doing something about this problem on my 2013. I'm in central Texas so mine dont have much rust anyway but I wanted to fix it. I lucked in to a easy preventative measure and I thought I would share. My wife keeps these peanuts in the house anyway and if you cut out the bottom of the plastic container it snaps over the top of the shock tower nicely. A 5 min fix!

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

i used a tuna can that fits tight and covers the entire top of the bushing, but i like the see thru version.

I like the peanut jar cap idea. Can keep an eye on the rust if it has already started. @mmike Does that jar cut out fit tight or does it rattle off after driving. @mmike

Back