2022 LEAF specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

The 2022 LEAF information was released today.

The top line message is that there are essentially no changes except that there are some price cuts with the 40kWh version now starting at an MSRP of $27400 and some equipment that was part of a package or trim specific are now standard across all trim levels.

There are still 2 variants, the 40 kWh, and 62kWh versions, and much of ProPilot feature set are now standard across both variants. The 220V/110V EVSE is now standard on all models.

And yes, CHAdeMO is still the DCFC service and is standard in all trim levels on both variants.

Click here for the press-release

My sources have indicated that the 2022 version of the current LEAF may be the last one based on the current architecture, and will be moving to the newer platform that the Aryia is based on.

Thats a substantial price cut. The S+ is down to sub 25K after rebate and the S sub 20K. That's a fairly compelling value play, and I think undercuts the Mini.

Glad we will have at least one more year of Leaf sales in the US.

Here is a now rare super positive Leaf review from New Zealand.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/amp/article/review-nissan-leaf-this-is-a-seriously-good-ev

I thought LEAF manufacturing is on hold for now, until the chip shortage is resolved.

I like 40 kWh EVs for the 0.5 car in the family, and LEAF is pretty much the only EV in that niche.
If I can pay $18k - $20k after federal tax credit, my wife is interested in upgrading her 11 capacity bar 24 kWh LEAF so that she does not "have to" charge after every trip and the car's radius is a comfortable 75 miles presuming a short destination or en-route charge.

I figure that is $1,000 per year cap cost for the swap/upgrade. Very reasonable. I guess I won't be going the FENIX route ;)

Sage, those of you in a state tax rebate states can get an amazing deal. It's still 5K in NJ, which makes the base Leaf a 15K new EV. That's Kandi level pricing.

I would still probably go for the base Plus over the base S, just as the additional range makes a huge usability difference.

I do feel like at this price the market (for a brief period) will open up for the Leaf. I think they had to wait until Ariya was in the bag for arrival before they could come down in price.

Nissan has had $7500 incentives on the Leaf for some time. Seems like all they've done is just adjusted MRSP to reflect that reality. It does help reduce state sales taxes, though.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sage, those of you in a state tax rebate states can get an amazing deal.
I included a federal tax credit of $7,500. No state subsidy on the table for me.

Link from motor trend that says the same thing, but has pricing for 2021 and 2022 so you can compare.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-nissan-leaf-plus-price/amp/

The lower msrp will sell. Better than the higher msrp and immediate money off....even if end cost is the same. It also gives the Leaf some brief headlines as best value (not cheap..value) in the US.

With rebates we are still at around 33000 Canadian dollars plus tax for an SV non plus. However, the stock is cleaned out. 11 left in the province. They’ll be gone in a week or two. Since the model Y started getting 4 month plus waiting lists people are saying meh, a leaf is nice. Let’s get that.

Agreed Doug. Nice to see the Leaf around for another year. If they can get some production going for 2022 I think they’ll sell all they can make.

Tesla installled 4 new Chademo /CCS went in 2 blocks from my house last week, along with 12 V3 Superchargers.

I am quite serious that if Tesla takes on Chademo support in the US, My next EV will likely be a Tesla.

If not, then lots of other choices. I don't do too many long road trips, so just about any ev will do. I already don't find much of any inconvenience to use the Leaf for road trips.

I saw those price cuts as well. But I couldn't seem to find which modals have the heat pump on Nissan's website. It once was part of the SV Climate Package, and included in the SL?

Is the heat pump standard to all models now?

I checked with my contacts at Nissan and the Heat pump is standard on LEAF SV and LEAF Plus SV and SL. It is not available on the S grade for either.

OrientExpress said:
I checked with my contacts at Nissan and the Heat pump is standard on LEAF SV and LEAF Plus SV and SL. It is not available on the S grade for either.
Since this website lacks a "like" button, I'll just have to quote you and say thanks for checking into that!

OrientExpress said:
My sources have indicated that the 2022 version of the current LEAF may be the last one based on the current architecture, and will be moving to the newer platform that the Aryia is based on.

So the Leaf will continue, but with CCS and a cooled battery pack?

*IF* that came true, and the prices held firm from 2022 to 2023, the Leaf would become a lot more attractive.
Would the leaf get the two size packs from the Ariya, a 63 kWh and long-range 87?

Or maybe just the 63?

I just can’t see Nissan making the Arriya their only EV. They need to have a more broad based market than just a model 3/Y competitor.

Jmho.

Local Nissan dealer contacted us to see if we were interested in an on sale 2021 SV. It sold a few days later...but I had a brief moment of hmmmmm.

Miss our leaf. Great little hatchback.

webeleafowners said:
I just can’t see Nissan making the Arriya their only EV. They need to have a more broad based market than just a model 3/Y competitor.
Nissan may want a line of EVs but without a cheap pack I don't know how they make a cheap LEAF. Perhaps it will be the only 40 kWh choice available

OrientExpress said:
danrjones said:
So the Leaf will continue?

Yes, the LEAF will continue.

Yeah... but as what? CCS? If Nissan spent money developing a new pack architecture, which appears to be 63 and 87 kWh, I would think they would use one of those. Would there still be a 40? Or just a 63? That's the way I would go, a CCS Leaf, with a 63 kWh pack, and an ACTUAL thermal management system. Why bother to develop a third pack size (a 40) when you have a 63 ready? Honestly, a 40 these days seems too small anyway. And if the price from 2022 carried over to the new 2023 (ok, maybe a $500 bump), it would be attractive. I think the Ariya was suppose to hit 130 kW.... which one upon a time sounded great, not so much today. Still, a Leaf hitting 100 kW would be a big step up. Hopefully forcing Chevy to match with their Bolts.

Back