Thoughts on what to do with a completely dead '12 Leaf with 68K miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yelsdrab

Hello all. I bought a 2012 Leaf SV in 2019 and put about 25K miles on it. It now has about 68,000 miles and stopped charging. I took it to Nissan and they said they EV battery and charger were both dead. Cost to fix was about 14,000! No way I'm doing that of course. Obviously I could try to trade it in at Nissan but thoughts on other options? Could I sell it for $500 to someone? The tires are 1 year old and alone are worth at least $200 I should think, more with the rims, etc. Thoughts?

Can you give more details on their diagnosis, esp. including any DTCs they might've indicated. If it was something as simple as a blown diode on the on-board charger, that can be fixed for very cheaply.

For other things, it depends on what it is.

When was your in service date?

My 2013 Volt has an in service date of November 2014 (which makes a difference)

Whenever I’ve had major issues with a car barely out of warranty I open a complaint with corporate, likely won’t do much but sometimes you can get a large discount, especially considering your miles.

If your on your own buy a newer low mileage salvage Gen 1 pack out of a northern wrecker and contact a few member Cor/ Mux etc and save over half

Pop in a new 12v battery
Collect DTCs with LeafSpy
Report back with your results

The Nissan diagnosis is likely to be nonsense.

Back