How do you really fit a bike inside leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahyar

I've seen pictures of fitting bike inside leaf without removing wheel ( Hereand Here)

I tried to put a bike inside Leaf 2020 and couldn't (with the seat folded). Any tricks?

It was an ebike from a bike sharing app so don't know the exact dimensions. It was pretty standard.

I think I managed it once or twice with the front wheel on with a 26" electric mountain bike, but it really is less effort if the front wheel can come off easily. I used a blanket to protect the interior, and put the front wheel forward.

Sounds like a good way to scratch the heck out of your trunk area.

You can purchase a Curt 11396 hitch for less than $200 and a bike carrier for $100. I use a 4 bike carrier, along with a Curt hitch - works great.

LeftieBiker said:
I think I managed it once or twice with the front wheel on with a 26" electric mountain bike, but it really is less effort if the front wheel can come off easily. I used a blanket to protect the interior, and put the front wheel forward.

How easy is it to put it back on? How long does it take? and is it safe to detach and attach?
Thanks.

alozzy said:
Sounds like a good way to scratch the heck out of your trunk area.

You can purchase a Curt 11396 hitch for less than $200 and a bike carrier for $100. I use a 4 bike carrier, along with a Curt hitch - works great.

Good point especially given that I'm on lease.
Does block access to trunk?

Thanks

It can, depending on which bike rack you choose. In my case, I have a 2" receiver on the bike rack (used on another car) so I use a 2" to 1-1/4" adapter. Thanks to the adapter, the hatch just clears the bike rack vertical post.

So, just be careful that the bike rack you choose has a long enough 1-1/4" receiver bar on it to avoid interference between the hatch door and the vertical bike rack post.

Also, many bike racks avoid the problem by incorporating a tilting mechanism:

51MszaeZ3CL._AC_SY580_.jpg

With mine though, I don't have to take the bikes off to access the trunk

I tried a setup like that, with a hitch on the Prius II. It felt very...wobbly. Probably because it used a receiver adapter to fit the larger 2" receiver.

Yeah, my bike rack wiggles a little due to the adapter but that's all it is, just a bit of play. It's plenty solid, holds 4 bikes no problem.

Back