Mechanical concrete

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilpan4

Gasoline, diesel, electric vehicles all have a few things in common, tires and driving on the road. Neither tires or road work are going away anytime soon.
What if they can help each other.
How to not just recycle, but reuse steel belted radials. Usually they get down cycled into pavement.
The problem with recycling radial tires has always been the steel belt. They have to just about be ground into powder to get the steel out and the whole process is easy danger of going up in a fireball. If you want to really recycle the steel.
The best solution is normally the simplest.
Cut 1 or both sidewalls off, lay them on the ground or in the hole, fill with crushed stone and build a road over top of them.

http://www.mechanicalconcrete.com/mechanical-concrete-pothole-terminator-2/

Good find, thanks for sharing it.

That's clever but not sure why he deserves a patent for it--using old tires is nothing new, it's just building roads with extra steps. years ago folks were building houses from old tires filled with dirt, hay, rocks or concrete.

i do like that machine tool that cut off the beads--now that should be patented.

I've caught some flack over the decades, for noting that old tires are fairly toxic, and as such aren't a great material for house building. As for roads, there is a process for making stronger asphalt from used tires, and that seems like a better idea.

Used a similar principle on a smaller scale when we put in our shed. Nice solid water-permeable base. Works a treat. Recycled plastic instead of tires, as the circles are only about 4 inches.

nlspace said:
Good find, thanks for sharing it.

That's clever but not sure why he deserves a patent for it--using old tires is nothing new, it's just building roads with extra steps. years ago folks were building houses from old tires filled with dirt, hay, rocks or concrete.

i do like that machine tool that cut off the beads--now that should be patented.

Tire side wall cutters have been around for as long as anyone has tried to reuse/recycle tire bits. An automated one would be nicer.
The mostly manual opetated and externally powered ones look like a good way to lose a hand.

Back