Free college tuition

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilpan4

New Mexico plans to use oil and natural gas royalties to pay for free instate college tuition for 55,000 people per year for 4 year degrees.
I hope it passes.
Then magically all the talk of fracking bans and the more insane parts of the new green deal never get mentioned again by NM dems.

So you want to get on thAt BS train that pays for everyone's college when all Americans have always gone into deep debt to afford college??

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/us/new-mexico-free-college-tuition.html

If you want free tuition, and you're over 24 years of age, a Pell Grant is available for most people. It paid for 80% of my first 4 years of college. Just make sure you do your first 2 years at a technical college where the tuition costs are cheap, then transfer and finish your 4 year at a 4 year college in the same state system.

NM already has free college grants. The headline "55,000" is never going to materialize because the reasons that those people did not take advantage of what is already available will also apply to the fossil money.

The more general point of OP is however mostly correct: Fossil extraction taxes buy political appeasement from those too stupid and ignorant to see or care about the longer term consequences.

I paid for mine out of my own pocket.
Student debt versus no student debt is an easy choice. Progressive students will see the free **** far outweighs having some oil and gas wells around.
New Mexico will collect over 900 million in direct royalties this year and some where around at least 200 million in state income taxes from oil, gas and supporting workers this year.
There's no way dems or republicans will leave that pile of money in the ground.
It may be the only thing they agree on.

Seems like it has broad support.
I would be surprised if it doesn't pass.

The money has helped. Went from having roads so beat up all the state did was lower the speed limit from 55mph to 45mph and leave it messed up back in 2012. To now they repave roads that don't appear to need it.

Now all of a sudden out activist Governor appointed energy secretary is saying something to the effect of "oil and gas can grow along with renewables".
Dems will pull a crazy Ivan when it involves free ****.
https://www.nmoga.org/interview_new_mexico_energy_secretary_sees_oil_gas_thriving_alongside_renewables

The PRC doesn't even have to abide by the clean energy transition act.

Pretty much nothing changes.

They're addicted to oil money and lack the authority to regulate public utilities.
Aside from the stupid gun control laws they passed that are not going to be enforced it's like the Republicans won.

Back