etrans
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2012

Re: An ICE based car as a second car...

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 pm

I plan to carry an Ebike on the back of the Leaf, put it on charge at the Nissan dealership on the edge of town and do my local chores on the bike. For longer trips I will rent or borrow an oldfashioned ICV or take the train.

BTW, trading cars with a neighbor might be an effective way to please everyone.

eHelmholtz
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Rat, I just bought this book to be supportive - I hope it's a good read!

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 am

My second car will be my daily driver now, a black 2006 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with a Go-Rhino push bar. Plenty of room for long distance trips, great on the highway (people tend to behave on the road around me for some strange reason), and it's got enough power to tow just about anything including a LEAF.

Roughly two weeks and I'll have my LEAF (hopefully). :)
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

GlennD
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Years ago I went from Long Beach to the San Diego Sheriff's in a black and white Crown Vic. It was the slowest I have ever gone there. Everyone went the limit or slower.

I made the same trip in a borrowed un-marked car much faster since I could exceed the limit.

I am a public safety radio tech, not a cop.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

GlennD wrote:Years ago I went from Long Beach to the San Diego Sheriff's in a black and white Crown Vic. It was the slowest I have ever gone there. Everyone went the limit or slower.

I made the same trip in a borrowed un-marked car much faster since I could exceed the limit.

I am a public safety radio tech, not a cop.

:lol: :D :) ;) :roll: :mrgreen:
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eHelmholtz
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Sat May 12, 2012 4:43 am

I put some new wheels and tires on my daily driver:

Cheezmo
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 9084

Sat May 12, 2012 7:54 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:At our house, LEAF is default choice. Other cars are only taken when LEAF is already taken or trip is beyond LEAF range. When multiple cars are needed, LEAF is assigned to the person with the longest trip within LEAF range. Basically all decisions are to minimize gasoline use. The exception is times when I want to drive the LEAF, in which case I get to take it regardless of other considerations, as I'm the one who pays for it.
+1

Almost exactly how we manage it, although I haven't quite asserted my veto power the way you have!
Steve Martin
White 2014 BMW i3 - Aerovironment EVSE
White Diamond Tricoat [2012 Volt - Blink EVSE
Black 2014 Volt - Blink EVSE
6kW Solar array

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Sun May 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Same here. My wife always takes "my" Leaf rather than "her" Acura for most shopping, errands, etc., which I didn't expect when we bought the Leaf. I think her main motivation is to avoid the hassle of going to the gas station often. The cost of gas really isn't a factor with the low mileage she drives, although she's happy to save the money. The handiest gas station to our house, and the cheapest near us, is an ARCO, which means cash only. Using the Leaf not only saves having to gas up but also having to get cash at the bank or grocery store for the ARCO. I used to fill me wallet from our cash stash about once a month. Now it's about once every three months.

However, I still have dibs on the Leaf if I need it, and there are times when I ask her not to take it for some oddball reason. One silly example: I had a CD audiobook in the Leaf and I didn't want her to change to AM radio, which she always does, and lose my place. She tends to be slow to change the audio so that it plays my book for a minute or so before she changes. When I come back and switch the input it can take me awhile to find the right place in the story. Also, she sometimes changes the seat position when she drives, which requires me to change it back. This is inconvenient in the Leaf since there is no automatic memory for two drivers the way we have the Acura set up. Perhaps these are trivial reasons that shouldn't deter us from maximizing EV time over ICE time, but the fact remains that the Leaf has become our primary vehicle.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Mon May 28, 2012 5:38 am

Interesting thread ...

Leaf is our split commuter car for my wife and I and our weekend errand car--3,800 miles (5 months usage)
'09 VW Routan SEL is 'my' second 'primary' car (for insurance purposes)--23,000 miles
'08 smart fortwo passion coupe designated as my son's commuter car--34,000 miles
'99 Mazda Miata spring, summer, fall swap car with the wife--58,000 miles

In the midwest rust belt, the Miata gets stored anytime there is salt on the roads and still looks great because of it, but over the years the ride isn't all that great as we've gotten older so will eventually be replaced by a more cruiser oriented roadster (have a new gen Z4 ('09 and up) in mind but need to wait for the son to go on his own insurance). The Routan is still needed from time to time and it's our designated long trip car; ride is quite nice and you never have to worry about 'if it will fit' --- it simply does whatever it is! Recently needed to take two massive loads of old PC's for rehab & donation and was simply amazed at how much the thing can hold. No question the LEAF is our primary 'go to' car much more than the car it replaced (an '06 Mazda3 GT hatch) as it so much more quiet and rides better as well as the almost zero cost to run, etc. As we have three drivers all needing to go different directions at different times, etc. we could probably get down to three cars instead of four but having the flexibility of something bigger and longer range will always be a top concern -- I did some research on renting for long trips or using the Home Depot / Menards option for short term truck rental and we think the best option would be a plug-in hybrid utility type vehicle once more (or any) choices come out. Something flexible enough to run short runs on EV power only but also have the range (as well as comfortable ride) on longer trips --- as gas prices go up and down, I'm always reminded when I need to gas up the Routan (highest was $66 not too long ago) but as three seasons out the year its getting driven only when we really need it we're probably OK until other options really come to market. Have seen that you can pre-order the Ford C-Max hybrid (not plug in, that comes later) but would like to see some real world tests and it may or may not be 'big' enough, already road tested a Prius V 'wagon' and while it has decent space the fit and finish wasn't all that great for the price they wanted (was a fully loaded '5') as well as the ride was just OK (again as compared to a much bigger Routan so perhaps not a fair comparison). As with others I think our possible usage of the LEAF is way up to over 95% of annual mileage possible but we'll see how it goes.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; FSD; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Mon May 28, 2012 8:11 am

eHelmholtz wrote:
Rat, I just bought this book to be supportive - I hope it's a good read!
Well, thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Return to “Off-Topic”