Democratic majority ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet4ever

evnow said:
planet4ever said:
The budget has to balance, and that means expected revenues (mostly taxes) have to match expected expenses. I think the California budget is something like 22 BILLION dollars out of balance right now.

Hmmm .... the 2 sentences seem to be contradictory.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. "The budget has to balance before it can be passed. I think the proposed California budget they are arguing about is something like 22 BILLION dollars out of balance right now."

evnow said:
I was actually talking about ease of passing the bills.
Nope, not with a Democrat majority fighting to keep the Republican minority from passing any tax cut, because they know it will have to be matched by a spending cut.

planet4ever said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. "The budget has to balance before it can be passed. I think the proposed California budget they are arguing about is something like 22 BILLION dollars out of balance right now."
I thought CA had been pushing real reforms off by borrowing to balance ...

Nope, not with a Democrat majority fighting to keep the Republican minority from passing any tax cut, because they know it will have to be matched by a spending cut.
You mean Democratic majority. "Democrat" is a pejorative used by "conservative commentators and members of the Republican Party in party platforms, partisan speeches and press releases since the 1930s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(phrase)

There’s no great mystery about the motives behind this deliberate misnaming. "Democrat Party" is a slur, or intended to be – a handy way to express contempt. Aesthetic judgments are subjective, of course, but "Democrat Party" is jarring verging on ugly. It fairly screams "rat."

evnow said:
You mean Democratic majority. "Democrat" is a pejorative used by "conservative commentators and members of the Republican Party in party platforms, partisan speeches and press releases since the 1930s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(phrase)
It was not meant to be pejorative. I have at various times in my life been registered as Democrat, Green, Reform, and Republican. I have never been registered as Democratic.

I agree that "Democrat Party" grates on my ears, too, but I didn't say that. Saying "democratic majority" would be a tautology; working by majority is, by definition, democratic.

planet4ever said:
It was not meant to be pejorative. I have at various times in my life been registered as Democrat, Green, Reform, and Republican. I have never been registered as Democratic.

You mean "a" Democrat, Green etc...

I agree that "Democrat Party" grates on my ears, too, but I didn't say that. Saying "democratic majority" would be a tautology; working by majority is, by definition, democratic.

That is the difference between small d "democratic majority" and capital D - "Democratic majority".

Back