New vs. old - environmental impact.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcountryrider

I have an old Ford F250, 1973, and a 1982 Toyota Starlet. Oh, and the LEAF. :)

I have debated replacing the truck. It has almost no emission control and is just
plain dirty. On the other hand I put very few miles on it.

So, I'd like to get thoughts from the group. When do you think it's appropriate to
replace a vehicle? There is the fact that the newer vehicles are cleaner vis-à-vis
hydrocarbons, CO, etc. But the carbon is the same. And then there is the environmental
cost manufacturing a new vehicle. And the waste of a still useable one going to scrap.

I know there is no pat answer, but I think this group may have some useful insights. :)

I would keep the truck. You could clean it up adding a couple catalytic converters. Possibly an electronic carborator or throttle body fuel injection. Maybe even convert to CNG. Or just make sure it is in good tune and not worry too much.

Yes, I have considered replacing the engine with a newer, cleaner one. I have always
avoided those retrofits as the linkage never seems to be just right. I did add an electronic
high energy ignition, which helps reduce HC. Adding a cat is a good idea; finding a place to
put the air pump would be challenging though. :(

One thing to consider is to replace it with something newer and cleaner, but still used. Then you won't be bringing a new car into the world.

On the other hand, if you don't drive it much, it's not hurting anyone much.

An oft-mentioned point on buying a new car is the carbon footprint of the new car's manufacturing process. It's huge, compared to keeping your current car and not getting a new car. However, I would like to point out that while that is mostly true, it's entirely true if and only if you throw away your old car.

Most likely, your old vehicle will go to someone who currently have an older, environmentally dirtier, vehicle. That vehicle, in turn, will go to someone who currently has an even dirtier vehicle. And so on, to the end of the chain, where the replaced vehicle is simply junked. As such, the entire chain of vehicles is now "upgraded" and environmentally cleaner than previous. So, the carbon footprint of manufacturing your new car needs to be offset by the cumulative reduced lifetime emission of all vehicles in that chain, starting with your new car.

That would appear to be scraping bottom of the barrel to justify a new car purchase, but I wouldn't totally dismiss it as such yet, until I see some research on it.

Keep the old truck, keep it tuned up, change the oil and filters. If your not driving it that much then that keeps the cost down for you. Replacing it with something newer can cost even more not knowing what the "new" one will need in terms of maintenance. Deferred maintenance can get costly.

Thanks for all the thoughts. :)

For now, I think I will keep the old truck. It's at the end of the line, I think,
and would likely be scrapped soon. And I do put very few miles on it. I can keep
it tuned up to reduce my footprint.

Washington, at least western Washington, is green, but pollution is worldwide.

James Billmaier told me I will be able to haul the horse over the pass within the
next ten years. Guess I'll just wait for that.

Back