lawn sprinkler runoff harvesting?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Since I saw the "Rain Water Harvesting" thread, I figured I'd start a thread about collecting/harvesting water from sprinkler runoff from others down the street. Anyone done this?

At least one neighbor has lawn sprinklers on a timer that go on in the middle of the night and I've been outside watching the water runoff into the sidewalk, into the gutters, all the way down the street and into the storm drains. I'd like to repurpose it to help water my lawn. If it ends up in a bucket, that's good enough for me. I'd dump it on areas that are tough to water w/o also causing runoff.

I'm sure it would require a small pump since your yard is likely higher than the street side. I've thought about that too, but I doubt it's worth the trouble, with the chance of such a system getting clogged with whatever might be floating down the street.

Sure just put a sump in the gutter (like a storm drain) with a trash pump or grinder pump. You may not want to pump it through your sprinklers but you could dump it on the lawn or stream it down the planters etc.

Back