Regen for F250?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcountryrider

I am impressed with the amount of energy that regen puts back in the
LEAF's battery.

Is there any way to retrofit my F250 so it will put gas back in the tank
when I go downhill? :roll:

BMW has regen in their 5-series. They use it to charge the battery. I believe the belt-driven alternator can engage if needed like belt-driven AC for most cars. The 5-series has electronic-driven AC, power steering and other things to take the load off the engine and make it more efficient.

However, if I was in the market for a $50k+ car I'd probably get a Tesla Model-S

Probably won't be able to put gas back into tank, but I believe you can probably engineer a flywheel to capture some of that kinetic energy, though the amount of energy that can be captured is proportional to the weight flywheel, so it's probably not worth it.

better just wait for your leaf. :D

I have the LEAF. :D It won't pull the horse trailer. :(

I wonder if I could turn it once I got a massive flywheel spinning? :eek: :lol:

That hydraulic regen sounds pretty cool. :)

The company I work for specializes in hybrid electric retrofit systems for heavy duty vehicles, all the way up to class 8 (i.e. semi trucks). It's not cost effective unless you are going to have the vehicle 7+ years and do a lot of stop and go.

Flywheels have been getting cheap and very efficient lately.. you may see them widely used in cars and trucks in place of an electric hybrid setup. The truck that picks up my trash is a diesel-hydraulid hybrid, very impressive tech.

Two recent reports:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/08/kinergy-20110822.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The project aims to demonstrate the potential of using high-speed flywheel technologies—including both Kinergy and competitor systems—in delivering hybrid systems with the potential for 30% fuel savings (and equivalent reductions in CO+ emissions) at an on-cost of below £1000 (US$1,600), thus enabling the mass-market uptake of hybrid vehicles in price-sensitive vehicle applications."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/09/flywheel-20110901.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yoyofella said:
Probably won't be able to put gas back into tank, but I believe you can probably engineer a flywheel to capture some of that kinetic energy, though the amount of energy that can be captured is proportional to the weight flywheel, so it's probably not worth it.
Formula One cars started using a similar concept in 2009. The system is called KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems). They started using it again this year.

"Currently the regulations permit the systems to convey a maximum of 60kw (approximately 80bhp), while the storage capacity is limited to 400 kilojoules. This means that the 80bhp is available for anything up to 6.67s per laps, which can be released either all in one go, or at different points around the circuit. Lap time benefits range from approximately 0.1 to 0.4s."

Since every-day driving is not continuous as in a race, the effects of speed decay of the flywheel probably plays a factor.

Smidge204 said:
Hydraulic Regenerative Braking!

It involves tanks! And gasses! :lol:
=Smidge=
That is cool!

Tank and liquid and gas is not all that unusual a combo, though: gas charged dampers (a.k.a. struts, shocks) are constructed in a similar manner: a metal container holding fluid which is pressurized by nitrogen in a bladder.

highcountryrider said:
I am impressed with the amount of energy that regen puts back in the
LEAF's battery.

Is there any way to retrofit my F250 so it will put gas back in the tank
when I go downhill? :roll:

Maybe yes---maybe no---maybe not---probably not---definitely not. :mrgreen:

Back