Read if you are in CA - Autism Insurance Reform needs push

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Hi, this issue is personal to me. We have a child with autism (our 3 yr old boy) and currently, though CA insurance law mandates coverage, my experience so far has been that we have been able to only obtain coverage for about 10 cents on every dollar spent. We were close in addressing this problem a few years ago, but Gov Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill. There is a current push to revive the initiative to pass autism insurance reform. I'm not sure how anyone can justify denying coverage for someone's child given a medical diagnosis, prescription and an established successful method of treatment. I wonder how they would like it if heart attacks were not covered, or maybe broken bones?

If you have 5 minutes to make 2 phone calls, you could me making a difference in the lifes of the many autistic children in CA. Current incident rate is now 1 in 58 for boys and about 1 in 150 for girls.

1) CALL ASSEMBLY LEADERSHIP AND ASK THEM TO MOVE AB 171 OFF THE SUSPENSE FILE.

**CALL: Speaker John Perez - 916.319.2046
**CALL: Assemblymember Felipe Fuentes - 916.319.2039

Say this with your nicest voice ever:

"It's time to move AB 171 off the suspense file for a committee vote. Thanks!"

2) AFTER YOU CALL BE SURE YOU ARE REGISTERED AT WWW.AUTISMVOTES.ORG AND SEND A FOLLOW UP EMAIL. To explain in more detail why your family wants this, send a follow up note here.

The people answering the phone should be busy and only give you 30 seconds to talk. If they don't sound cranky of breathless when you call - then they aren't getting enough calls.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Until they tell our community we can have a hearing - and then we will turn the phone calls off!

To learn more about California Autism Insurance Reform visit www.autismvotes.org/California.

Happy Dialing and Dialing - Then Emailing!

Shelley Hendrix
Director, State Based Advocacy
Autism Speaks
8 hours ago · Like

Back