She asked ME if we could get solar???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewill

Knock me down with a feather. Here I've been counting my blessings that my wife has indulged this little Leaf adventure when she mentions how expensive our electric bill is and could we get solar panels, and would they help. Talk about a opening you can drive an elephant through!

You'd be proud...instead of jumping up and down, I calmly informed her that it would be quite possible, and that it should help quite a bit since we have a pool and end up in the higher tiers, and that I'd look into it. :cool: So, I'm in north San Diego county, Carmel Valley to be precise, and I just knew there would be several people here who would know which PV outfits are worth getting quotes from, and which were not.

davewill said:
Knock me down with a feather. Here I've been counting my blessings that my wife has indulged this little Leaf adventure when she mentions how expensive our electric bill is and could we get solar panels, and would they help. Talk about a opening you can drive an elephant through!

You'd be proud...instead of jumping up and down, I calmly informed her that it would be quite possible, and that it should help quite a bit since we have a pool and end up in the higher tiers, and that I'd look into it. :cool: So, I'm in north San Diego county, Carmel Valley to be precise, and I just knew there would be several people here who would know which PV outfits are worth getting quotes from, and which were not.

Yep, actually we put in our panels four years ago at my wife's prompting! That got me interested in how we could make better use of our generated kWh surplus, and here I am, a week or so away from getting my first EV.

Try Sunwize for a quote, they did my install. If you do end up calling them, send me a private message.

Congratulations! My system was just connected a few weeks ago and I'm pretty close to you, over in Penasquitos. I had to "sell my case", although the truth is it wasn't a hard sell (and she's supportive of most everything halfway intelligent that I suggest)! I started out trying to research everything and everyone, like many I suppose, and I do suggest thinking about whether you want to purchase or lease as part of (probably an early part of) your analysis. I started out somewhat predisposed to purchasing and ended up leasing through Solar City. I highly recommend them and their lease works well for me - I expect about a 6 year payback (although purchasing would be more advantageous for me after around 15 years).

I enjoyed taking a look at the companies installing solar in this area of San Diego: http://sd.solarmap.org/solar/index.php (not sure how recently it was updated). Feel free to PM me with questions and enjoy! The Leaf/solar combo is hard to beat!

davewill"So said:
We live in Sorrento Valley - I can recommend Baker Electric Solar in Escondido, they did our PV installation last summer, and their electrical division is also one of the 2 EV Project installers for San Diego, so we were able to have them as our EVSE installer as well, and they did a nice job of integrating the two. PM me if you'd like more details on our solar setup.

Wade

uspearls said:
I enjoyed taking a look at the companies installing solar in this area of San Diego: http://sd.solarmap.org/solar/index.php (not sure how recently it was updated). Feel free to PM me with questions and enjoy! The Leaf/solar combo is hard to beat!
That map is pretty amazing. It covers the whole county, not just the city, and maybe more--I scrolled up to Pendleton, and there are markers all the up to there. Was surprised to see our house marked, but there it is. It's also heartening to see how many PV systems are out there, and how many installers there are (though that's probably a bit daunting to someone now shopping).

We used GeckoLogic are are quite happy with our install; check 'em out.

Note that Sequoia Solar shows up as an installer often, but they're no longer in business (which I know only because a co-worker was in the middle of contracting with them when they folded). He ultimately went with GeckoLogic as well.

uspearls said:
...I enjoyed taking a look at the companies installing solar in this area of San Diego: http://sd.solarmap.org/solar/index.php (not sure how recently it was updated). Feel free to PM me with questions and enjoy! The Leaf/solar combo is hard to beat!
Very nice map! That one definitely goes in my bookmarks. I was interested to see that the builder installed solar units in a nearby new housing development were listed at 2kw, and no installer listed. There are at least 4-5 different companies listed in my immediate area. It would be worth driving around and at least looking at the rooftops to see how the installs were done.

I am in SF Bay Area and considering the Solar as well.. Any pointers.. For some reason most people are not suggesting to Lease so trying to get more info...

Back