Frontline: Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it. I didn't realize he's the richest man in the world :shock: I'd have thought that was Bill Gates or some Saudi sheik.....
They seem to be really pounding Amazon on standing behind Amazon third-party sellers which I consider kind of a farce...I mean does Ebay stand behind every sale placed through Ebay? I doubt it. Amazon has always done me right and I frequently(monthly) order from them and their 3rd party sellers but I am VERY reluctant on just listed sellers selling something below the market rate. Not sure if they've fixed it but it used to be prolific and mostly a scam. You placed the order but NEVER got your product. You'd let Amazon know and they'd credit your account no questions asked but I always wondered if it was a scam against Amazon or the fake seller was hoping the buyer(me) would forget they placed the order and be none the wiser......

They re-played it this morning.

The richest Billionaire in the World; a Trillion-dollar company that paid NO TAXES. How is that fair and make any sense?

The rich folks and all big companies benefit disproportionately from all the Goverment provided and funded services, if anything they should want to pay extra taxes and contribute to keep those services and the infra-structure up to spec and working.
e.g.

Law and order on the streets with police and fire departments across the country. A rule of law -based legal system with access to the courts for disputes and justice.

A peacefully elected government responsible to the electorate.

The biggest and strongest military power in the world on land, air, sea and space that protects and defends US business interests and US citizens around the world.

Nationwide interstate highway system for the transport of products and goods to market. (And who does the most damage to the roads--tiny EVs?)

A mail system for the delivery of letters and packages.

Agencies to regulate and provide for safe food, medical care and health products.

Why should big companies benefit from the system without contributing for the upkeep of the system?

Compare the quality of life while living in this country with our closest neighbors to the south. How long do you think quality would last in a chaotic and violent drug-lord dominated society?

Something to think about while you sit secure and warm in your house and never have to worry about being kidnapped or attacked by the banditos.

nlspace said:
They re-played it this morning.

The richest Billionaire in the World; a Trillion-dollar company that paid NO TAXES. How is that fair and make any sense?...

So it Amazon's fault? I tend to look at the lawmakers who allowed such a thing to happen. What about trump? He didn't pay taxes for over a decade. I am sure he is now due to his profiteering as president.

In reality, Amazon didn't pay taxes 2 years ago in the US ONLY due to expansion investment expenses. This is typical of most corporations where they spend a few billion to expand but spread that cost against profit over several years.

Now, can't speak to other areas, but Amazon paid $155 million in various taxes in WA State (a state with no income tax btw) alone.

They also provide ALL their employees free public transit. Pay one the highest % of healthcare costs in the nation so they are not living free.

What they are guilty of is "job auctions" but then again, that applies to any large financial operation including professional sports teams worth billions playing in stadiums built almost solely on public funding.

We also need a 'dislike' button. Amazon built an empire, not unlike Walmart, by destroying small and medium sized businesses via predatory practices. To applaud Bezos in business is like applauding Trump in governance. Amazon isn't all bad, but they shouldn't be admired in any respect other than customer service.

i was looking for posts or threads relating to Bezos and couldn't find many so I figure this might be an ok spot for this news that caught me by surprise.

Jeff Bezos to step down as Amazon CEO, Andy Jassy to take over in Q3
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/02/jeff-bezos-to-step-down-as-amazon-ceo-andy-jassy-to-take-over-in-q3.html
I’m excited to announce that this Q3 I’ll transition to Executive Chair of the Amazon Board and Andy Jassy will become CEO,” Bezos said in a letter to employees. “In the Exec Chair role, I intend to focus my energies and attention on new products and early initiatives. Andy is well known inside the company and has been at Amazon almost as long as I have. He will be an outstanding leader, and he has my full confidence.”
Before I read the above piece, I figured it was so he could spend more time being rocket man. The quote below seems to confirm that.
Bezos said he will stay engaged in important Amazon projects but will also have more time to focus on the Bezos Earth Fund, his Blue Origin spaceship company, The Washington Post and the Amazon Day 1 Fund.

Back