Air Filters - Home vs Automotive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckEVDriver

I thought I'd post this query/comment in Off-topic, as it doesn't really relate to the LEAF specifically.

I was swapping out my furnace filter this weekend, following manufacturer's instructions, when I noticed the type of paper material used. It's very similar to the Hepa filter we use in our cars.

The home filter needs to be swapped out every 90 days. But the Auto filter can remain in the car for a year. This past fall, when I pulled out my filter from the LEAF, it was about the same light grey colour as the home filter.

I would imagine that the car filter would be exposed to harsher conditions than my home. Is this some kind of marketing gimmick? Or should we be swapping out the car filter more frequently?

CanuckEVDriver said:
I thought I'd post this query/comment in Off-topic, as it doesn't really relate to the LEAF specifically.

It's very similar to the Hepa filter we use in our cars.
How do you know it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA?

As for replacement/harsher conditions, for ages, FWIW cars have had no cabin air filter. IIRC, even my '04 Nissan 350Z didn't have one while my '02 Maxima had 2 filters. And, although I didn't like having to go behind the glovebox and having the airbag cable there, it at least had 2 rigid cartridges instead of stuffing a filter into a small hole, hoping it expands. Skip to ~4:12 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS9ZGWwkdkY.

CanuckEVDriver said:

I was swapping out my furnace filter this weekend, following manufacturer's instructions, when I noticed the type of paper material used. It's very similar to the Hepa filter we use in our cars.

The home filter needs to be swapped out every 90 days. But the Auto filter can remain in the car for a year. This past fall, when I pulled out my filter from the LEAF, it was about the same light grey colour as the home filter.

I would imagine that the car filter would be exposed to harsher conditions than my home. Is this some kind of marketing gimmick? Or should we be swapping out the car filter more frequently?

I was told at least once that the filter is mainly in use when Recirculate is engaged. I don't know if that's true, or if the filter handles all of the air when recirculate is off as well. Consider this, though: your house's HVAC is usually active, while your car's is usually not because the car is usually parked and off.

The bulk of household dust is actually dead skin cells that our bodies continually shed. The average home accumulates a lot more "person-hours" of occupation per day than the average car and is filtering a lot more cubic-feet of air per day. And it's fairly rare for someone to open up one or two sides of the house at 40MPH where a lot of dust would get sucked out :lol:

Back