GRA
Posts: 11089
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
Zythryn wrote:
Leaf15 wrote:I could not understand how anyone can enjoy 2,000 - 3,000 miles road trip in any car EV or ICE. Either way it sucks, big time! :lol:
It is glorious!
Best road trip I ever took was in a BEV.
We enjoyed the journey almost as much as the destination. I think that is the real trick, if you make the journey fun, it is wonderful. If you convince yourself the journey has to happen before the fun, it is miserable.
Just so. I look forward to my EV road trips — they are relaxing and fun. The Supercharger stops give me a chance to take a break and walk around for a bit. In an ICE car it was just push-through-to-try-to-get-it-over-with; it is a completely different feeling in an EV for me. It doesn't hurt that I am surrounded by some of the most beautiful National Parks and Monuments, as well as designated scenic roads, in the country, which makes road trips to explore them easy and well worth doing.
The difference, ISTM, is that in an ICE it's entirely up to you whether to just push through or slow down and enjoy it, as well as not constraining where you go, what route you take and where you stop and stay. The latter issues will eventually be a minimal problem as the charging infrastructure becomes more common, but only a major increase in battery capacity and charging speeds will provide anything like the flexibility of liquid-fueled ICEs. The question is how close do BEVs have to approach that point before most people will say "that's good enough"?

If I'm pushed for time (not being retired, I usually am on longer trips) I can just press on, and if I'm not, I can stop whenever and wherever I wish, and refueling the car doesn't control where I eat or stay or how long I need to do so. That's totally different from planning your stops around the limited, relatively slow (compared to liquid or gaseous refueling) and more frequently needed charging sites that are currently available. Even when pressing on, the scenery and the driving interest makes a huge difference to the level of enjoyment, which are a couple of reasons I usually opt to drive U.S. 50 instead of I-80 across Nevada (it's also shorter for trips to Colorado and southern Utah on/south of I-70). As it is, it's still impossible to do that trip in any BEV using QCs. Unlike many people here, I often do 4-5 hours (rarely 6) at a stretch on road trips without feeling like I'm a masochist, and while I have no need or wish to drive much east of I-25, what's a 1-1.5 day drive from the Bay Area in an ICE is two or more in a BEV, which is time I'd much rather spend at my destination. Of course, I could fly and rent a car, but for cost, hassle and emission reasons I don't do that anymore (except in emergencies).
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Leaf15
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 am

I just was surprised to learn some folks would have an audacity to brag about 2000 - 3000 trips, when they only drive 200-300 miles a day. I have a colleague at work who commute 250 miles every day. I never heard of him bragging about it. I would understand of someone to be proud of riding bicycle every day for 200-300 miles and I have colleague of mine who is retired and doing just that, not bragging about it. Thanks for making me feel like a super hero, an ultimate road warrior as I covered 2500 miles round trip on our family trip to Florida and back to Philadelphia. I drove back all 1200 miles in 15 hours as my spouse were not feeling well. I guess, I need to make ear-full everyone I meet about this heroic valor. At least, it was financially lucrative adventure as saving were in $$$$. POTUS should make a decree to make a national monument in my honor, lol. My friends are planning trip across entire US cost-to-cost as they are retired and moving to Seattle, WA, yet again they have plenty of time and would save money by driving their Honda CRV instead of transporting it and visiting tourist spots along the way as they like to travel, not to brag about it.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

User avatar
jlv
Moderator
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 am

I consider us road warriors. We regularly make 400-500 mile (one-way) trips. E.g., we were just in Buffalo this past weekend for a family event. We used to do such a trip with just a single bathroom break in the middle. Now we do that, but combine that with a stop to charge for 30 minutes. We'll walk and talk (she likes to get 12K steps in each day), or eat at one of the stops.

Of course, there are limits. We're going to Bend, OR to visit our son in June. I suggested we could drive. 30 SuperCharger stops is all that is needed!
Image
To quote A.Ham: "She looked at me like I'm stupid; I'm not stupid." :lol: To keep marital bliss, we'll fly.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
85K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Leaf15 wrote:I just was surprised to learn some folks would have an audacity to brag about 2000 - 3000 trips, when they only drive 200-300 miles a day. I have a colleague at work who commute 250 miles every day. I never heard of him bragging about it. I would understand of someone to be proud of riding bicycle every day for 200-300 miles and I have colleague of mine who is retired and doing just that, not bragging about it. Thanks for making me feel like a super hero, an ultimate road warrior as I covered 2500 miles round trip on our family trip to Florida and back to Philadelphia. I drove back all 1200 miles in 15 hours as my spouse were not feeling well. I guess, I need to make ear-full everyone I meet about this heroic valor. At least, it was financially lucrative adventure as saving were in $$$$. POTUS should make a decree to make a national monument in my honor, lol. My friends are planning trip across entire US cost-to-cost as they are retired and moving to Seattle, WA, yet again they have plenty of time and would save money by driving their Honda CRV instead of transporting it and visiting tourist spots along the way as they like to travel, not to brag about it.
:roll: Nice straw man argument there. You complain about how you can't "understand how anyone can enjoy 2,000 - 3,000 miles road trip in any car EV or ICE. Either way it sucks, big time!" And when Zythryn and I point out that we enjoy such trips you call it "bragging"? Then you make up a silly straw man number of 200-300 miles a day (Oils4AsphaultOnly mentioned up to 350 miles a day) and try to shoot it down. What rubbish. I generally do 600 miles in a day and have done as many as 950 miles. Driving alone. In an EV. And I enjoy it. Just because you (and some others here) find such trips onerous doesn't mean that everyone does.

The point I would like to make is that we can make long road trips in a Tesla, should we care to do so, and we can't in other kinds of EVs for the time being. Why you seem to take offense at such observations is a puzzle.

I purchased my Tesla (used, because I couldn't afford a new one) so that I could get rid of my last ICE car and still be able to make trips to visit family in Oregon and friends in Southern California, something I do regularly. That I have been able to use it for other kinds of road trips is a fun bonus.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Leaf15
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 am

dgpcolorado wrote:[ :roll: Nice straw man argument there. You complain about how you can't "understand how anyone can enjoy 2,000 - 3,000 miles road trip in any car EV or ICE. Either way it sucks, big time!" And when Zythryn and I point out that we enjoy such trips you call it "bragging"? Then you make up a silly straw man number of 200-300 miles a day (Oils4AsphaultOnly mentioned up to 350 miles a day) and try to shoot it down. What rubbish. I generally do 600 miles in a day and have done as many as 950 miles. Driving alone. In an EV. And I enjoy it. Just because you (and some others here) find such trips onerous doesn't mean that everyone does.

The point I would like to make is that we can make long road trips in a Tesla, should we care to do so, and we can't in other kinds of EVs for the time being. Why you seem to take offense at such observations is a puzzle.

I purchased my Tesla (used, because I couldn't afford a new one) so that I could get rid of my last ICE car and still be able to make trips to visit family in Oregon and friends in Southern California, something I do regularly. That I have been able to use it for other kinds of road trips is a fun bonus.
I think you just made your straw man argument there, but at the end both ICE or EV sucks at long distance travel. Getting excited about the monotony of black top running under you car, wow, what a treat. It is just what it is. "Are we there yet?" did not just came out of "straw". Indeed, I am shaming you for bragging about something, not worse bragging about :D
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 am

Leaf15 wrote: I am shaming you for bragging about something,
You see his post as 'bragging' because of your own feelings of inadequacy.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Leaf15
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:41 am

SageBrush wrote:You see his post as 'bragging' because of your own feelings of inadequacy.
As opposed to adequacy of driving car on highway for long hours is as exciting as watching paint dry? Some folks are caught in the hype bubble, when they get exciting about upcoming visit to son's family because they need to use 30 charing stations? not spending all this extra time with him, this adequacy?
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

Leaf15
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm

jlv wrote:You obviously didn't read *all* of my post. :cry:
I am not your adversary. It is the fact - Tesla is the only EV at the moment you can travel across USA with some assurance. There is not need to find any other "crazy" reasoning to prove long trips are possible with Tesla. It is a fact! It is also true - with fast chargers infrastructure improvements the same would be possible with all other EVs.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Leaf15 wrote:
jlv wrote:You obviously didn't read *all* of my post. :cry:
I am not your adversary. It is the fact - Tesla is the only EV at the moment you can travel across USA with some assurance. There is not need to find any other "crazy" reasoning to prove long trips are possible with Tesla. It is a fact! It is also true - with fast chargers infrastructure improvements the same would be possible with all other EVs.
No so.
The car has to be able to take the high power, and for long enough to make a difference.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Interestingly enough, I just answered the "why don't EVs have as much range as a gas vehicle" question for the umpteenth time on Quora today. I took a bit different approach.

Starting with my driving style on a long distance trip (750-800 miles each way) each summer, using abetterrouteplanner.com I "downgraded" the car's range to the point where my travel time matched what we've done for the past 6 or so years in a gas vehicle.

As a starting point, in raw driving time, it's a 12.5 hour trip, but we take around 15 hours to complete it (i.e. 2.5 hours of stops).

My Model 3 LR can do the trip with only 1:04 in charging time (and this is BEFORE V3 comes into play!)

Model 3 MR can do it with 1:48 in stops.

Model 3 SR+ can do it with 2:10 in stops.

The Model 3 SR (estimated) can actually do it with 2:30 in stops. I was a bit surprised by this, but yes, with my driving style, a standard range Model 3 can actually do the trip without any impact to travel time (although those stops would HAVE to be at very specific Superchargers, whereas with my LR I have a lot more flexibility.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

Return to “Off-Topic”