LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (possible spoilers)

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Right, right. I watched the reboot, but it was a tough slog - good in places, excruciating in many, many others. And I have never, ever, grown to hate a musical score so much! When I watched the original again, I was surprised to find that the reboot had actually gotten almost all plot lines from it - "hybrids" included.

The original, BTW, lasted two seasons or a bit more. Look for "Galactica 1980." Buried in the cast, wearing a robot mask, you will also find Jonathan Harris, aka Dr Smith, from Lost In Space. Gods, I hated that character...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I didn't much care for the BSG reboot, so I wouldn't tie liking that to liking The Expanse.

One of the similarities between The Expanse and GOT is both are based upon a series of books. At least one of these series of books is definitely going to be finished. :D
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
75K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:05 pm

I just got what is supposed to be a one month free trial of Prime video, and will be checking out The Expanse later tonight.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:31 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I just got what is supposed to be a one month free trial of Prime video, and will be checking out The Expanse later tonight.

Hope you can make it thru the first few eps of The Expanse, esp. since it can be hard to follow at first. The scene of the woman in the locker makes perfect sense much further into the show and is explained, eventually.

Ep 4 (CQB) was really good.

One thing the bothered me about the show was the Belter creole.

Will comment on RDM BSG later.

Also, if you like the idea of a show about an alternate reality where Japan and Germany won WWII and thus now control the West and East Coast states, Hitler's still alive, etc. then you'd like Man in the High Castle, an Amazon show. It takes place in the 50s or 60s, IIRC. So, think about the technology and vehicles then. In the show, Germany is more technologically advanced than Japan. Rufus Sewell does a pretty job of playing an evil Nazi: Obergruppenführer John Smith. That show's admittedly a bit slow though.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm

We're pretty familiar with the alternate history genre. I'll have a look at it with my housemate. And I won't be afraid to skim a bit at first with the Expanse.

cwerdna

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:08 pm

The Expanse has a story arc. I do NOT recommend that you skip around. Stuff will not make sense.

The episodes are mostly not self-contained like Star Trek TOS eps and most TNG eps.

Ditto for MitHC.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:14 pm

I wrote "skim" rather than "skip around." Don't worry. I'm talking about scanning forward passed dull scenes, that's all. Heh - at least my OCD only encompasses me. ;)

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:51 pm

I now have a free 1 month trial of Prime Video. I can add to that a free 1 week trial of CBS All-Access video, streamed through the Prime app on our TiVo. So I can watch a few eps of STD for free, or all of them for $5.99. I'm going to watch The Expanse, ep 1, later, and decide after that. My idea of "binge watching" is no more than 2 eps a day, and usually just one.

cwerdna

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Right, right. I watched the reboot, but it was a tough slog - good in places, excruciating in many, many others. And I have never, ever, grown to hate a musical score so much! When I watched the original again, I was surprised to find that the reboot had actually gotten almost all plot lines from it - "hybrids" included.

The original, BTW, lasted two seasons or a bit more. Look for "Galactica 1980." Buried in the cast, wearing a robot mask, you will also find Jonathan Harris, aka Dr Smith, from Lost In Space. Gods, I hated that character...

Hmmm... re: BSG RDM version, overall the series was good, some parts excellent but some parts weren't so good like part when Baltar was on trial. I also didn't care about the politics in the show. There was also (IMHO) too much sex in the 1st season (or so) for a sci-fi show.

No, BSG TOS only lasted one season: https://galactica.fandom.com/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(1978_series) and https://web.archive.org/web/20161201111735/http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Portal:Battlestar_Galactica_(TOS) . Galactica 1980 which was AWFUL was a spinoff: https://web.archive.org/web/20161202085 ... ctica_1980. And, yes, I've seen all of both.

There was a lot of good stuff at the old Battlestar Wiki (https://web.archive.org/web/20161226235 ... /Main_Page) and then that all got dismantled (IIRC) and a new incomplete version "replaced", I think.

Well, yeah... the RDM version was a re-imagined version. Ron Moore and the writers/producers decided to change a lot of stuff like Boomer's, Starbuck's and Cain's genders, Col Tigh's race, getting rid of the funky jargon (felgercarb, yahren, micron, centon, etc. that I liked), and adding these goofy names (e.g. Kara Thrace, Lee Adama, etc.) Baltar's role changed and so on. Some purists of TOS hated how different the RDM version was that they called it GINO (Galactica In Name Only). Ron Moore ended up naming one of the Sixes Gina, because of that and he'd refer to Gina in the podcasts until later her name came up (Gina Invierer).

On BSG TOS, the Cylons were just robots... well, there was some reptilian race that created them but that race died off, leaving only the robots. In the RDM version, the humans created them.

Prior to the RDM version, apparently, the (now late) Richard Hatch (played Apollo in TOS and Tom Zerek in RDM version not the naked guy on Survivor) had his own ideas for a resurrection but it never beyond a trailer, AFAIK (my info on this is limited and is from memory). I found a copy of the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8heJPX8xk. I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlesta ... ond_Coming, but can't speak to its accuracy.

People who didn't like the Ron Moore idea and wanted Hatch's version called Ron Moore, the MooreRon or something like that.

MIHC is based upon a Philip K. Dick book (like Minority Report). However, those who have read the book said the show goes way beyond the timeline covered by the book, besides a lot of stuff being different.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 am

We watched MIHC last night, and I then watched the first and second eps of STD this morning. I liked both ok, my HM (housemate) thought the acting and scripting in the MIHC was poor, but the premise made it worth watching a bit more. I still find the taint of JJA and the other "Fringe Dwellers" a bit off-putting, but since I'm almost done rewatching SG: Atlantis, I'm both more tolerant of schlock now, and also looking for a new show to mine for entertainment. So I'll watch MIHC with my HM, and STD on my own. For up to two months. ;)

Not all of the Cylons were robots. Watch Galactica '80 again, if you don't believe me. I actually liked about half the eps of that, and have one left that I never saw.

Return to “Off-Topic”