LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (possible spoilers)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

The Orville is definitely much more like the ST TV series (plural) than like anything made by J.J. Abrams - and for me that's a good thing. Little did I know, as I enjoyed the last couple of seasons of Fringe, that the same people would soon be ruining both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises. ;)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:54 pm

ST:D is supposedly not JJ-verse. It claims to be Prime universe and not Kelvin universe (aka JJ-verse).

But, the inside of the ships look too much like JJ-verse. Weird.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am

They have to make the ship and technology look modern... They would lose modern audiences if they used cheezy original ST sets...

LeftieBiker

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:39 pm

cwerdna wrote:ST:D is supposedly not JJ-verse. It claims to be Prime universe and not Kelvin universe (aka JJ-verse).

The insides of the ships, the Klingons, the general feel, that's all Abrams. It's why I can wait to see the series.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
cwerdna wrote:ST:D is supposedly not JJ-verse. It claims to be Prime universe and not Kelvin universe (aka JJ-verse).

The insides of the ships, the Klingons, the general feel, that's all Abrams. It's why I can wait to see the series.
Haha.

Well, they have yet another look for the Klingons in ST:D. And, they differ depending on the house.

The show runners/designers could've made the ships inside and out look more modern (not retro like TOS) but they didn't need make them feel like JJ-verse.

Just watch the show. You know you want to. ;)

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Star Trek: Discovery is petaQ

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 am

ST:D just leaves me feeling cheated. More crappy retreading/recreating of past history, much like the Abrams retreads. Blech. I guess a lifetime of my liking Star Trek has finally been exhausted. (FWIW: I saw the first movie in the theatre the day it opened).

I've watched The Orville but the underlying sophomoric humor just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Neither seems worth the time investment.

But who really cares about either when The Expanse is currently airing.

It is arguably the best science fiction TV series ever, and about to go into it's 4th season on Amazon Prime (having been canceled by SyFy -- because they don't do science fiction over there). It's based upon an incredible book series where the 8th of 9 planned novels is coming out next month. It tells a single ongoing story. The solar-system wide human space-traveling civilization is based on realistic principles. It just gets it right in every way possible.

I highly recommend it - both reading the books and watching the show (although they diverge slightly - both are work the time investment).

This is an awesome background to the world of the TV series (almost completely spoiler free) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjrI0YvZYA

(where-as I tell people to get through the first season of Babylon 5 in order to get to the part that pulls you in, for The Expanse I suggest getting through the first 3 episodes, which are slightly slower).
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
85K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:43 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of The Expanse. Thanks. I won't keep Amazon Prime just to watch it, unless they offer a month free, sometime...

Cwerdna, I did watch the first (cut off) ep of STD, and was talking about that show above. Having several varieties of Klingon doesn't make it more appealing to me.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

cwerdna

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:57 pm

The Expanse was pretty decent overall. I watched all 3 seasons when it aired originally on SyFy.

And yes, it got cancelled for SyFy and Amazon saved it. Season 4 had started filming awhile ago. Many fans petitioned to get Amazon, Netflix and Hulu to save it. It worked. FWIW, I will be turning on my Amazon Prime subscription once season 4 “airs”, just like I did for the most recent season of Man in the High Castle.

If you liked the re-imagining of BSG, you might like The Expanse. Some folks have compared to to “GOT” in space. I don’t watch GOT, so I can’t compare.

It is gritty and the first ep or two is kinda confusing at first. It makes a lot more sense as the show goes on. I had some favorite eps like CQB and one much later involving Fleet Admiral Nguyen (don’t want to spoil but it was Triple Point). The Martians (to me), are pretty cool. They're folks or decedents of humans who emigrate to Mars and their society seems very militaristic.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm still groggy from limited sleep..."BSG"?
BAFX OBDII Dongle

cwerdna

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I'm still groggy from limited sleep..."BSG"?
Battlestar Galactica, the RDM (Ronald D. Moore) version as opposed to BSG TOS

The latter only lasted as season and has Lorne Greene as Commander Adama. Starbuck was a man whereas Starbuck was a woman in the RDM version.

RDM BSG had Edward James Olmos (EJO) as Commander Bill Adama. Ugh about the first names...

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Off-Topic”