Page 2 of 18

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:24 am
by LeftieBiker
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Everyone forgets it was a Republican that got the ball rolling on the EV tax credit. And the clean air act, and civil rights, and ending slavery.

Perception and reality are two disjoint worlds when I think of the word "progressive".

Your perception of the Republican ethos is obsolete. Mine is up to date. As for all the complacency about the subsidies ending, you are ignoring people like me who would have to lease an iMiev instead of a Leaf or Bolt. That will be bad for both the folks who want to keep driving an EV, and for the people trying to sell Leafs and Bolts. Tesla probably will do ok, since there will still be affluent people to buy their cars.

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:31 am
by DanCar
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Everyone forgets it was a Republican that got the ball rolling on the EV tax credit. And the clean air act, and civil rights, and ending slavery. Perception and reality are two disjoint worlds when I think of the word "progressive".
If you want more details about above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_La ... ct_of_2008

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 am
by LeftieBiker
DanCar wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Everyone forgets it was a Republican that got the ball rolling on the EV tax credit. And the clean air act, and civil rights, and ending slavery. Perception and reality are two disjoint worlds when I think of the word "progressive".
If you want more details about above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_La ... ct_of_2008
I know quite well that Nixon would now be classified as a "Liberal" - I was there at the time. This is not relevant to the current climate, in which Republicans cannot usually even be classified as "Moderates." You lot seem to have a very rosy view of Republicans, despite having grown up with them. I guess that Reagans, Bushes and Clintons are all you know...

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:11 am
by rmay635703
baustin wrote:What makes you think it is anywhere near the top of the list of things they want to change right away? There is a Supreme Court Justice to nominate, and Obamacare to repeal and replace. That should keep them busy for quite a while.
Yep gotta place the Nixoncare system of pre-existing conditions back in place

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:13 am
by rmay635703
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Everyone forgets it was a Republican that got the ball rolling on the EV tax credit. And the clean air act, and civil rights, and ending slavery.

Perception and reality are two disjoint worlds when I think of the word "progressive".
Lincoln would vomit in rage if he saw what became of the "progressive" republican party.

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 am
by DanCar
LeftieBiker wrote:I know quite well that Nixon would now be classified as a "Liberal" - I was there at the time. This is not relevant to the current climate, in which Republicans cannot usually even be classified as "Moderates." You lot seem to have a very rosy view of Republicans, despite having grown up with them. I guess that Reagans, Bushes and Clintons are all you know...
Republicans have lungs just like the Democrats and both appreciate clean air.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watch/t ... 6202307582
Quote from Trump: We need clean air, clean water. ... We need clean air to breath.

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:47 am
by LeftieBiker
Well, I guess I'll leave you folks to drink the cool-aid, then. It's Morning in America!

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:19 pm
by powersurge
Are you referring to spiked Jim Jones Koolaid because Trump won??

My final thought about federal subsidies... Thanks to the federal refunds, rebates and incentives, our 2-3 year old $35-40K cars are only worth $10-12K. If EV subsidies go away, then our cars will be worth a lot more than that...

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:21 pm
by LTLFTcomposite
Trump is pretty liberal. I don't expect too much to change, Obamacare will transition to HSA based plans, what most employers are going to anyway. God forbid we leave a little bit of control to the individual.

Also look for some tightening of border security, mostly just enforcing existing laws that 0bama conveniently ignored because it helped provide a steady stream of DNC voters. Expect some better protections in trade deals that have been totally one sided, giving free access to our markets while we lose manufacturing jobs. Cutting down on the number of shipping containers full of cheap throwaway crap floating across the ocean should reduce carbon emissions as they are replaced with locally produced higher quality products.

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:34 pm
by DanCar
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Trump is pretty liberal. I don't expect too much to change, Obamacare will transition to HSA based plans, what most employers are going to anyway. God forbid we leave a little bit of control to the individual.

Also look for some tightening of border security, mostly just enforcing existing laws that 0bama conveniently ignored because it helped provide a steady stream of DNC voters. Expect some better protections in trade deals that have been totally one sided, giving free access to our markets while we lose manufacturing jobs. Cutting down on the number of shipping containers full of cheap throwaway crap floating across the ocean should reduce carbon emissions as they are replaced with locally produced higher quality products.
+1, thanks. I find it interesting that many that traditionally voted democrat, the rust belt, blue collar workers, voted republican and many that traditionally voted republican, the well to do, voted democrat in this election.