GRA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling? Electric Bicycles

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:17 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 pm
So you want an eBike that is kid-proof? Good luck. I suppose it goes along with your desire to only drive an EV that was custom made to your specifications. If it's any consolation, hub motors will never be doing wheelies in that price range, as they don't have enough starting torque.

Nah, I just want them to try to write the regs to prohibit bikes that can and will be used in ways that are incompatible with such areas. That way, anyone who chooses to engage in such antics will be forced to pay for it, e.g. you aren't allowed to use a snowmobile in Yosemite. Actually preventing stupid human behavior is way above my pay grade.

BTW, where did you get the idea that I'll only drive an EV that's custom made to my specs? Sure, we'd all like to drive cars designed specifically for us, but short of building them ourselves that's not going to happen. What I do insist on is that any EV I'd consider buying meets all my major requirements and as many of my minor ones as well, just as I'd expect from any expensive product I'd buy.

You insist on a heated steering wheel, and I assume you have other go/no go issues as well that other people may find unnecessary. I have my own set of must haves, they're just different from yours.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Different, extensive, and they just happen to exclude every EV on the market. It's almost as if your starting premise is "keep my Forester" and the rest was worked out to allow that.

You want to write regs that will exclude all bad behaviors on electric bikes that can be blamed on the bicycle? Simple: 250 watt limit, pedelec only. Sure, people won't be able to use an e-bike if they have hills on their route, and those with physical disabilities won't be able to ride if their legs aren't still strong, and kids won't bother with them...but the bikes would likely be perfect for...wait for it...you.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Different, extensive, and they just happen to exclude every EV on the market. It's almost as if your starting premise is "keep my Forester" and the rest was worked out to allow that.

They're extensive in the sense that I am only willing to pay for a car that will transport me, any passengers I choose to take, and our gear to the places I wish to go to, in reasonable comfort and without wasting an enormous amount of my limited free time, at a price I'm willing and able to pay. While we almost certainly differ on the details, are your basic requirements for a car any different? That no existing BEV and its supporting infrastructure yet meet my needs is true (the Niro comes closest in many areas), which shows manufacturers the areas they need to improve to get my business. Is that any different from the factors that go into your car-buying decisions?

LeftieBiker wrote:
You want to write regs that will exclude all bad behaviors on electric bikes that can be blamed on the bicycle? Simple: 250 watt limit, pedelec only. Sure, people won't be able to use an e-bike if they have hills on their route, and those with physical disabilities won't be able to ride if their legs aren't still strong, and kids won't bother with them...but the bikes would likely be perfect for...wait for it...you.

As I provide all my own power when I ride a bike for fun and exercise (as well as errands and commuting), a pedelec's capabilities aren't an issue for me in such places, only other people's behavior on same. It is for you, so as I suggested before you should let the people writing the regs know what issues concern you, just as I do with EV manufacturers. We seem to agree that a pedelec that's speed-limited to no more than about 20 mph max is a reasonable restriction. Other issues such as throttle/no throttle or motor power are matters of dispute/debate.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:09 pm

IEVS:
Delivery Service In UK Turns To eCargo bikes
https://insideevs.com/news/380990/deliv ... rgo-bikes/

Talk about wind resistance! Still, given the climate it's undoubtedly necessary. I wonder what kind of side closure they'll have, or will they just let the rain blow in and cars splash the rider's legs?

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 am

I disagree with limiting electric bicycles because they can provide many of us with disabilities a means to see and participate. I am against bans on electric bikes. Issue tickets for bad behavior but do not limit the electric bikes. Tell me if there is a speed limit or area not appropriate for riding but don't put limits on the bike instead enforce the prudent operation of the bike for the situation at hand.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

LeftieBiker

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:30 am

I don't oppose limits that just prevent e-bikes from going faster than their tires, brakes and frames can handle. Maybe I'll post a link to a vid showing how ridiculous some of these "bicycles" can get - not to mention how stupid and dangerous their riders.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWJARXqpvc[/youtube]
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 am

^^^ holy crap! Talk about careless/dangerous to himself and others. Passing on the shoulders, passing between cars, cutting in and out of traffic. Must be some sort of modified eBike, no I don't think we need something like that here.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm

We have plenty of those here now. The parts are essentially Chinese, so you can put one together anywhere. 6kw 2WD bikes that will do 60MPH aren't as rare as you might think...
BAFX OBDII Dongle

GRA

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Closest topic I could find, via ABG:
Mandate bike helmets for all cyclists, says NTSB — not a single state does
With fatalities on the rise, safety agency has several recommendations
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/10/nts ... lmet-laws/
A government agency is recommending that all 50 states enact laws requiring bicyclists to wear helmets to stem an increase in bicycle deaths on U.S. roadways.

The recommendation was among several issued by the National Transportation Safety Board after a hearing Tuesday on bicycle safety. The agency says 857 bicyclists died in crashes with motor vehicles in the U.S. last year, a 6.3% increase over 2017. Bicycle deaths rose even though total road deaths fell 2.4%.
ADVERTISEMENT

The NTSB also found that improved road designs to separate bicycle and vehicle traffic, and making bicyclists more visible through clothing, lights and technology would reduce the number of cyclist deaths.

The agency wrote in its report that head injuries are the leading cause of bicycle fatalities, and that use of a helmet is the most effective way for riders to reduce their chance of getting a serious head injury. Research shows fewer than half of bicyclists wear helmets, according to the NTSB.

“If we do not mitigate head injury for more bicyclists, additional bicyclists will die,” NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said.

Such a requirement may prove difficult politically. Currently no states require all bicyclists to wear helmets, but many require them for younger riders, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. . . .

Can't say that I'm a fan of this, although when riding I wear a helmet all the time except when climbing long, steep hills when it's hot, and I've also used a seatbelt since long before it was mandated. But I'm not a fan of the government mandating behavior involving (an adult's) purely personal risky behavior.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:12 am

At one time, I was racing electric bikes on cart tracks around the US. It was fun beating up on the gassers. As racing goes, I didn't win them all but it usually was from flat tires or melted phase wires or failed electrical components. It was fun/scary while I was involved doing it. Think of going 50+ mph on straightaways with skinny tires leading into hairpin turns etc. all the while contending with many other racers. I can hardly believe I was breakneck racing...
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Return to “Off-Topic”