LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:01 pm

jlv wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:22 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am
I was surprised that I was able to use propilot on un-divided single lane each way highways (not freeways) in Iowa last year.
That's the type of road I tried it on in my test drive 2 years ago. ProPilot is vision based and isn't limited to pre-mapped roads.
AFAIK you need at least the white shoulder lines for it to work.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm

BMW and Mercedes call it quits on their self-driving car partnership
The automakers say they may work together again in the future.
https://www.engadget.com/bmw-mercedes-e ... 20863.html

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Amazon to buy Zoox for $1B, a self-driving car startup with Apple lineage
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06 ... le-lineage

They were in https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/ ... port-2019/.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:15 pm

Amazon to buy Zoox
Amazon seems to love to sell Chinese-sounding merchandise with almost-familiar names. I'm surprised that no one in China ever tried to sell a "Nizan Leave". ;)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:15 pm
Amazon to buy Zoox
Amazon seems to love to sell Chinese-sounding merchandise with almost-familiar names. I'm surprised that no one in China ever tried to sell a "Nizan Leave". ;)
Heh.

Since you mention Amazon and err.. Nissan, sorta, there was this publicity stunt ages ago w/Amazon delivering a Nissan Versa Note in a box. Long ago, I think you could find the entry to "order" (?) it on Amazon.

https://www.businessinsider.com/giant-a ... car-2014-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISx15OYogU - haven't watched this whole video

'19 Bolt Premier

cwerdna

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 am

TuSimple seeking $250 million in new funding to scale self-driving trucks – TechCrunch
https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/26/tusim ... ng-trucks/
By 2018, TuSimple started testing on public roads, beginning with a 120-mile highway stretch between Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona and another segment in Shanghai.
As of March 2020, the company was making about 20 autonomous trips between Arizona and Texas each week with a fleet of more than 40 autonomous trucks. All of the trucks have a human safety operator behind the wheel.

'19 Bolt Premier

cwerdna

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 am

Fiat Chrysler and Waymo sign exclusive deal on self-driving commercial vehicles
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/fiat-ch ... icles.html

'19 Bolt Premier

GRA

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm

GCC:
MIT Task Force on the Work of the Future suggests widespread autonomous driving at least a decade away

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... 7-mit.html

. . . The research brief draws on the authors’ research and experience in the engineering, social, and policy dimensions of automation and autonomy in extreme environments of the deep ocean and aerospace, as well as years of engagement with the auto industry, transit, and automated vehicle systems.

The brief considers the current state of automated driving technology and its potential impact on jobs. Despite substantial recent progress by the industry, fully automated driving systems that have no safety driver onboard will take at least a decade to deploy over large areas, even in regions with favorable weather and infrastructure; winter climates and rural areas will experience still longer transitions.

Expansion will likely be gradual and will happen region-by-region in specific categories of transportation, resulting in wide variations in availability across the country.

Automated vehicles should be conceived as one element in a mobility mix, and as potential feeders for public transit rather than replacements for it, but unintended consequences such as increased congestion remain risks. The crucial role of public transit for connecting workers to workplaces will endure: the future of work depends in large part on how people get to work.

The automated vehicle transition will not be jobless. The longer rollout time for Level 4 autonomy provides time for sustained investments in workforce training that can help drivers and other mobility workers transition into new careers that support mobility systems and technologies. Transitioning from current-day driving jobs to these jobs represent potential pathways for employment, so long as job-training resources are available.

While many believe that increased automation will bring greater impacts to trucking than to passenger carrying vehicles, the impact on truck-driving jobs is not expected to be widespread in the short term. Truck drivers do more than just drive, and so human presence within even highly automated trucks would remain valuable for other reasons such as loading, unloading, and maintenance. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm

GRA wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm
GCC:
MIT Task Force on the Work of the Future suggests widespread autonomous driving at least a decade away

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... 7-mit.html

. . . The research brief draws on the authors’ research and experience in the engineering, social, and policy dimensions of automation and autonomy in extreme environments of the deep ocean and aerospace, as well as years of engagement with the auto industry, transit, and automated vehicle systems.

The brief considers the current state of automated driving technology and its potential impact on jobs. Despite substantial recent progress by the industry, fully automated driving systems that have no safety driver onboard will take at least a decade to deploy over large areas, even in regions with favorable weather and infrastructure; winter climates and rural areas will experience still longer transitions.

Expansion will likely be gradual and will happen region-by-region in specific categories of transportation, resulting in wide variations in availability across the country.

Automated vehicles should be conceived as one element in a mobility mix, and as potential feeders for public transit rather than replacements for it, but unintended consequences such as increased congestion remain risks. The crucial role of public transit for connecting workers to workplaces will endure: the future of work depends in large part on how people get to work.

The automated vehicle transition will not be jobless. The longer rollout time for Level 4 autonomy provides time for sustained investments in workforce training that can help drivers and other mobility workers transition into new careers that support mobility systems and technologies. Transitioning from current-day driving jobs to these jobs represent potential pathways for employment, so long as job-training resources are available.

While many believe that increased automation will bring greater impacts to trucking than to passenger carrying vehicles, the impact on truck-driving jobs is not expected to be widespread in the short term. Truck drivers do more than just drive, and so human presence within even highly automated trucks would remain valuable for other reasons such as loading, unloading, and maintenance. . . .
I think that timeline is realist.

GRA

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 pm

CNN:
Former Uber self-driving car exec sentenced to 18 months in prison

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ ... index.html

Anthony Levandowski, a former Uber executive who oversaw its self-driving vehicle efforts, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 18 months in prison on Tuesday for stealing an internal tracking document from Google related to its self-driving car program.

"This is the biggest trade secret crime I have ever seen. This was not small. This was massive in scale," said US District Judge William Alsup in sentencing Levandowski on one count of trade secret theft, according to a Department of Justice press release.

As part of the sentencing, Levandowski is fined $95,000 and ordered to pay $756,499.22 in restitution to Google's self-driving car unit, Waymo. Due to the risks of the coronavirus pandemic, it is unclear when Levandowski will serve his time, according to the release. Federal prosecutors dismissed the remaining 32 counts against Levandowski as part of the plea deal. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Off-Topic”