User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 am

jcan wrote:The Frankenplug VS Chademo . If we refer to the two plugs enough this way hopefully they will always be known as Frankenplug and Chademo. :)
Honestly, I hope that some bright folks somewhere are developing the next generation charging system that everybody can agree to (China, EU/UK, USA, Japan). Doubtful, though.

User avatar
TRONZ
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202
Location: Denver, CO

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:30 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Again, I don't care what the ultimate standard is, but I do want the folks at GM to fail in their attempts to divide and diminish the electric car world....
Ditto!
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5406
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

TonyWilliams wrote: FrankenFew cars means FrankenFew Frankenplugs!!!
What a Franken waste! :lol:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

tbleakne
Gold Member
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400
Location: Claremont, CA

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

GregH wrote:I heard there will be 20 in SoCal by March 31st with the first going in at Santa Monica.. Not sure what the other locations will be but I hope we find out soon!
What I heard was 6 dealership installations have been allocated for the Los Angeles/OC area, with installations being completed in 60 days. We have had many DC QC promises in the last year that have yet to see any progress, so 60 days seems VERY optimistic. My Nissan dealership took 4 months just to permit, install and activate a standard AV J1772 L2.

I understand they are looking for dealerships where there is 3-phase power near the perimeter of the the property, so that the DC QC could be installed with 24/7 access. I am not sure any of the 4 or 5 Nissan dealerships in my area (I210, I10, I15) meet that requirement.
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

TEG
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Honestly, I hope that some bright folks somewhere are developing the next generation charging system that everybody can agree to (China, EU/UK, USA, Japan). Doubtful, though.
In some parallel universe they have mandated that everyone use the Tesla Supercharger system.

Too bad we don't live there.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

TEG wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Honestly, I hope that some bright folks somewhere are developing the next generation charging system that everybody can agree to (China, EU/UK, USA, Japan). Doubtful, though.
In some parallel universe they have mandated that everyone use the Tesla Supercharger system.

Too bad we don't live there.
At some point soon, the charge rate required / wanted will be far greater than the piece of hardware that grandma is going to plug in a car. Hence, I predict an automated setup that plugs in the bottom of the car, with it's big 1.5 inch diameter pins.

Then, nobody has to handle the extremely dangerous voltage with a heavy nozzle, and nobody will bump into it, or play with it. Heck, you won't even see it unless you crawl under the car. Just drove over the spot, the car is identified with its own wireless signal (with billing), and you get out and have a drink. When done, a message is sent to your mobile device, and you hop in the car on motor on.

1GW, here we come.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
TEG wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Honestly, I hope that some bright folks somewhere are developing the next generation charging system that everybody can agree to (China, EU/UK, USA, Japan). Doubtful, though.
In some parallel universe they have mandated that everyone use the Tesla Supercharger system.

Too bad we don't live there.
At some point soon, the charge rate required / wanted will be far greater than the piece of hardware that grandma is going to plug in a car. Hence, I predict an automated setup that plugs in the bottom of the car, with it's big 1.5 inch diameter pins.

Then, nobody has to handle the extremely dangerous voltage with a heavy nozzle, and nobody will bump into it, or play with it. Heck, you won't even see it unless you crawl under the car. Just drove over the spot, the car is identified with its own wireless signal (with billing), and you get out and have a drink. When done, a message is sent to your mobile device, and you hop in the car on motor on.

1GW, here we come.
Or just add a Mr. Fusion, which can easily provide 1.21GW. (Hey, I can dream too)
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Or just add a Mr. Fusion, which can easily provide 1.21GW. (Hey, I can dream too)
Image
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

BEVeedom
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 am
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 021754

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

2000 chargers and 70,000 cars are a drop in the bucket in terms of all petrol service stations and vehicles worldwide. Let's correct the mistake now, early, and switch to SAE Combo or "Frankenplug". I believe the Society of Automotive Engineers will triumph and that it just makes sense to have one plug to cover Level II and Level III charging. No changes are required on the Level II J1772 system that is in place and there is 0 Level III infrastructure at this moment, even in Washington, DC. Until the CHAdeMO vs. SAE Combo issue is resolved, I can see no business case for Level III investment.

Give in Elon and Nissan (Carlos Chosn?) and you can star in "Who Saved the Electric Car". I'm a Marylander and can't even drive my Leaf to Ocean City in the summertime. Well, unless I want to spend 4 hours at a lonely professional park in Stevensville, for crying out loud. I guess I could bring a hibachi and have a very long picnic? Making a 3 hour drive take 7 hours is not progress. Regardless of the outcome, America needs a Level III infrastructure for the BEV to survive.

The other hope is the new 6.6KW on-board Level II charger on the 2013 Leaf and others. This will, at least, cut Level II charging time in half.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my BEV and it is perfect for our normal driving. I'm never going back to liquid fuel and we are only in the infancy of the transformation from ICE to the electrification of auto transport.

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12464
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

Frank-n-Chad, sort of like the movie "Twins"?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”