gaswalla
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5012

Re: DC Quickcharging for Leafs at dealers

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 pm

The big difference between a Tesla network and a Nissan dealer-based network would be the conflict of interest from the Nissan dealerships. The dealerships exist to generate a revenue stream from the cars built by the manufacturer. They upsell services, and make profit from the maintenance and repairs. The LEAF turns the dealership business model upside down - there is almost zero maintenance, and LEAF owners rarely visit the dealership.. the dealers have no interest in spending thousands of dollars to have LEAFS charge for free in their lot - on the other hand, Nissan should have an interest in promoting a charging network - they are limited by their dealers. Tesla on the other hand has eliminated the dealerships -- bravo!

tranhv68
Delivery Date: 07 Jun 1968
Leaf Number: 020936

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 pm

gaswalla,

If Nissan were forward thinking enough, they would realize that the Leaf is not their only electric car. It is their first attempt and, since I bought one, an excellent first try. If dealers allowed for electric cars to quickcharge for free, they will not only sell a boatload of new leafs but also develop a deeper level of brand loyalty. Even more importantly, having all those leafs coming to the dealership to charge gives a dealer many opportunities to upsell to better electric vehicles down the road. In this way, I think having dealerships aka a brick and mortar location is actually a positive for both dealers and manufacturers.

To say that Tesla doesn't have a dealership is somewhat mistaken. They have Flagship stores just like the original apple stores. How many apple stores are there now? What they have eliminated is the ugly middleman, who confuses the market with different markups, fast-talking salesmen and an overall dishonest sense of doing business. Tesla has one price that everybody pays, no matter your location or negotiating prowess. The exchange of money for a car becomes less of a transaction and more about the actual purchase of the car. When was the last time we haggled over the price of an iMac?

NYLEAF
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17311

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 pm

gaswalla wrote:The big difference between a Tesla network and a Nissan dealer-based network would be the conflict of interest from the Nissan dealerships. The dealerships exist to generate a revenue stream from the cars built by the manufacturer. They upsell services, and make profit from the maintenance and repairs. The LEAF turns the dealership business model upside down - there is almost zero maintenance, and LEAF owners rarely visit the dealership.. the dealers have no interest in spending thousands of dollars to have LEAFS charge for free in their lot - on the other hand, Nissan should have an interest in promoting a charging network - they are limited by their dealers. Tesla on the other hand has eliminated the dealerships -- bravo!
I don't think anyone here expects to QC for free at a Nissan dealer. Nissan needs to find a way to make it a financially viable option for dealers to install the QCs, and to reward those dealers that not only install them, but make them easily available for drivers.

As I've suggested previously, I think Nissan should offer to refund part or all of the cost of the QC unit itself, as well as the installation costs, to the dealership as credit towards buying new inventory in the 2013 model year. Additionally, I think Nissan should offer dealers that take advantage of this offer 70% of all revenue generated by the QC during normal business hours, and 100% of the revenue generated during non-business hours. This would hopefully encourage dealers to install QCs at essentially no cost to them, and would make it a money-making venture for the dealers. I also hope that by letting the dealer keep 100% of non-business hour revenue, it would encourage them to make sure the QC is powered up and available during the overnight. No one wants to get stranded, and certainly not at night!
Former Ride: 2012 Leaf SL, Ocean Blue, Leased 1/27/2012, Returned 4/27/2015, 37.7k miles & 12/12 bars
Final LeafSpy readings: AHr 60.73, SOH 92%, Hx 90.90%, 250 Gids on full charge

Current Ride: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD, Black

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm

tranhv68 wrote:FREE FOREVER quick charging for all model S and probably all teslas.
Wrong.

If you actually watched the video, Musk mentions some sort of "nominal fee" for the 60 kwh Model S. It's unclear what that is given that http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; currently (and previously) said the Supercharger hardware is included in the 60 and 85 kwh models. BTW, the 40 kwh model CANNOT be Supercharged.

All Teslas? Seems highly unlikely the Roadster can unless they get retrofitted, somehow.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Phoenix
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1511

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 am

(delete)

Electric4Me
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 am

The one dealership installed QC that I've used (Santa Rosa, CA), was great to have access to, but is only available during dealership hours as it's behind a gate that gets locked. This was fairly inconvenient for me at the time and I hope that it doesn't become a trend...
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 am

In Phoenix, AZ, there are 5 QC locations that I'm aware of:

1 installed at a Ford dealership
2 installed at Toyota dealerships
1 installed at Ecotality
1 installed at PADT (they manufacture Blink stations)

0 at any Nissan dealership

Phoenix

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

Electric4Me wrote:The one dealership installed QC that I've used (Santa Rosa, CA), was great to have access to, but is only available during dealership hours as it's behind a gate that gets locked. This was fairly inconvenient for me at the time and I hope that it doesn't become a trend...
Yes, the fact that it was NOT 24/7 impacted some planned evening activities. Nevertheless, so overjoyed to have a QC, we overlooked that for the time being. Nissan needs to put some QC action behind its words.

GreenPowerDP
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4417

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am

Volusiano wrote:In Phoenix, AZ, there are 5 QC locations that I'm aware of:

1 installed at a Ford dealership
2 installed at Toyota dealerships
1 installed at Ecotality
1 installed at PADT (they manufacture Blink stations)

0 at any Nissan dealership
Just to be clear - we are talking about Level 3 DC Quick Chargers? I wasn't aware that any Ford or Toyota had the Chademo plug.

Do you mean Level 2 chargers?

I've charged my Leaf at a Toyota Level 2 EVSE - you should have seen the funny looks I got...
2011 Leaf SL-E: Cayenne Red
AeroVironment L2 Home Charging Doc
SolarCity 3.75 kW PV

Phoenix

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am

I always thought Arizona was a bit strange. ; ) Neither Ford nor Toyota have quick charge ports for their EVs, yet kudos to them for having DC QCs available for LEAFs.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”