Headlight Switching Options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

I like to use the "auto" feature of the headlight selector, but my state requires that headlights be switched "on" whenever wipers are in use. It would be great to be able to set this up as an option when "auto" is specified - i.e. that the headlights would light whenever the wipers are engaged.

Another possibility would be a button that would light the headlights when pushed in "auto" mode. The lights would then stay on until the car is switched off, with the usual delay.

Note that some cars ("cough" Prius "cough") have the headlights switch off when the ignition is switched off. While the warning beep usually keeps one from leaving the lights on after turning them on in rainy conditions, it's an annoyance and isn't necessarily specific about the cause.

Larry said:
I like to use the "auto" feature of the headlight selector, but my state requires that headlights be switched "on" whenever wipers are in use. It would be great to be able to set this up as an option when "auto" is specified - i.e. that the headlights would light whenever the wipers are engaged.

Another possibility would be a button that would light the headlights when pushed in "auto" mode. The lights would then stay on until the car is switched off, with the usual delay.

Note that some cars ("cough" Prius "cough") have the headlights switch off when the ignition is switched off. While the warning beep usually keeps one from leaving the lights on after turning them on in rainy conditions, it's an annoyance and isn't necessarily specific about the cause.

The headlights already switch on when in auto mode and you turn on the wipers. The owner's manual says it does that and I have experienced it many times. Enjoy.

Off-topic question:
Is it possible to use AUTO and switch off the "fog-lamps" the incandescent-looking lights at the lower-left and lower-right?

I never thought about the 'auto headlight' thing when buying my Leaf because I didn't have that option (SV), but now that I DON'T have them I'm glad. On a car where you're (sometimes) trying to squeeze every last mile out of, I'd rather control them myself.

Stanton said:
I never thought about the 'auto headlight' thing when buying my Leaf because I didn't have that option (SV), but now that I DON'T have them I'm glad. On a car where you're (sometimes) trying to squeeze every last mile out of, I'd rather control them myself.
Nissan included an off position with the automatic headlights.

Larry said:

That is exactly how the headlights work in Auto mode. They turn on automatically when the light level gets low, and they will turn back off automatically when you turn the car off. As the other poster said, if you run the wipers when the headlights are in auto mode, the lights will turn on, and again, will turn off when you turn the car off. Isn't that what you were asking for? Did I misunderstand your question?

And as to the other poster with the SV, auto mode is a position on the switch. You still have full control by putting the switch into OFF, ON, or Auto. I pretty much leave mine it auto all the time.

Stanton said:
Well, at 50 Watts for the low beams, I don't much worry about the range reduction. ;)

palmermd said:
And as to the other poster with the SV, auto mode is a position on the switch. You still have full control by putting the switch into OFF, ON, or Auto. I pretty much leave mine it auto all the time.
I got railroaded into the SL, and the auto lights was one of the "feechers" I didn't think I wanted. I'm still not really happy with it, because I often disagree with the car as to whether it is dark enough to turn them on (in both directions, so don't tell me to adjust the sensitivity). But I do, grudgingly, use the auto position much of the time, switching to ON or OFF when I don't like what it is doing. I have the power-off delay set for 45 seconds, and that's nice to give me light when I plug the car in. But, and maybe this is just me, when I go to a store or restaurant at night I don't like walking away from the car with the lights still on. So I've gotten in the habit of hitting the power button, then flicking the headlight switch from auto to OFF and back to auto. That turns the lights off immediately, and they stay off -- until I power back up.

Ray

planet4ever said:
maybe this is just me, when I go to a store or restaurant at night I don't like walking away from the car with the lights still on.
Because inevitably, there will be a kind soul who will approach you to inform you that you forgot to switch off the headlights to save you from a flat starter battery?

leafydragon said:
Off-topic question:
Is it possible to use AUTO and switch off the "fog-lamps" the incandescent-looking lights at the lower-left and lower-right?
Sure, just turn off your fog-lamps (the switch on the same stick as the headlights) but leave the headlights in Auto.

Back