Automatic Keyless lock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee_Slurry

The car knows when I have left the area with my key fob.
It would be nice if the LEAF could automatically lock its own doors.
Wouldn't that be cool? Just walk away, and the doors lock behind you when you are out-of-range.

Conversely, when I approach the car with fob in-hand, it could also unlock. That's less important, perhaps.

GroundLoop said:
The car knows when I have left the area with my key fob.
It would be nice if the LEAF could automatically lock its own doors.
Wouldn't that be cool? Just walk away, and the doors lock behind you when you are out-of-range. Conversely, when I approach the car with fob in-hand, it could also unlock. That's less important, perhaps.

If you have a different alarm installed, like the Viper (talks if someone gets too close), it will automatically lock the doors and set the alarm a few seconds after the last door is closed.
Btw, how many buttons does the fob have? I'm wondering if it has a 'hatch' button.

GroundLoop said:
Conversely, when I approach the car with fob in-hand, it could also unlock. That's less important, perhaps.

I thought this is what it did? Or does it only unlock if you open the door?

Kataphn said:
LEAFfan said:
Btw, how many buttons does the fob have? I'm wondering if it has a 'hatch' button.

locks open, locks closed, panic: those are the buttons

There's no need for a hatch button -- lifting the hatch always pushes the unlatch anyway, and there's no spring-pop on the hatch to lift it.

However, a key fob button to open the CHARGE lid; that would be useful.

GroundLoop said:
Kataphn said:
LEAFfan said:

locks open, locks closed, panic: those are the buttons

There's no need for a hatch button -- lifting the hatch always pushes the unlatch anyway, and there's no spring-pop on the hatch to lift it.
However, a key fob button to open the CHARGE lid; that would be useful.

I would definitely use it. I could open it before I got to the car with my arms full of stuff. I've seen vans that have a remote release for their hatch, but I've never had one with 3 rabbits and a celica. I guess now I can add a 5th.

LEAFfan said:
I would definitely use it. I could open it before I got to the car with my arms full of stuff.
Yes - but you need to open the hatch door anyway. The button to open is right at the place where you would lift the door ... unless the door auto opens, no point in a remote for the door.

cdub said:
GroundLoop said:
I thought this is what it did? Or does it only unlock if you open the door?
You don't have to open the door, but you do have to push a tiny button on the door handle before it will unlock. I don't usually go for gadgetry, but I must say I like the way our Prius unlocks the moment you touch the door handle. (I know it doesn't work this way, but intuitively I think of it as my hand on the door completing an electrical circuit between the fob and the car's computer.)

Ray

Toyota seems to have this cornerned. Nissan/Infiniti never have the optical hand sensor in the door handle. I prefer the Toyota system, but mostly it's the mental juggling of switching between the two cars and looking foolish.

I found on SEC-27 in the Service Manual a reference to "Auto door lock operation time", from OFF through 5 minutes.

Hm!

I can't find any other reference to it. Very interesting.

+1 for walk-away door locking. I started to think of this as being a great feature after walking away from the car several times and forgetting to lock it. I mean, for having a "smart" key and all the car sure isn't that smart when it comes to managing the door locks.

Back