CMU students' suggestions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

I must confess that I am not at all impressed with the "ideas" that the Carnegie Mellon students are suggesting for the next-generation Leaf:

Nissan, CMU Already Working on How To Improve Next Leaf EV

An onboard refrigerator? Videogames on the windshield? Posture reminders? :?

Perhaps mine is the sole voice in the wilderness, but I just can't imagine anyone opting for a vehicle because it "boasts" such bells-and-whistles. If Nissan truly wants to stay ahead of the competition, it should simply focus on increasing its range (improved batteries, an aluminum chassis, carbon fiber body panels, etc.).

Beyond that, if Nissan really wants to add more amenities, I would much rather see a larger solar array on the roof to help cool the cabin when parked in the sun. This would, of course, also improve the Leaf's range, by reducing the A/C drain on the batteries.

My $0.02 worth, anyway.

CMU is a college, and not just any college, one of the top engineering schools in the country, they are not "kids", but future leaders, scary really ;)

Yanquetino, I agree with you. Shoulder massage bar? C'mon. CMU does have a reputation as a top engineering school and now has a campus in the Silicon Valley about 5 miles from me next to NASA Ames and Lockheed Missiles and Space. I am not impressed. Maybe they should be working on the Mars manned space project instead of EVs.

mitch672 said:
CMU is a college, and not just any college, one of the top engineering schools in the country, they are not "kids", but future leaders, scary really ;)

Don't worry - all college grads go through the learning experience and figure out what works in the real world.

Yanquetino said:
I must confess that I am not at all impressed with the "ideas" that the Carnegie Mellon students are suggesting for the next-generation Leaf:

Perhaps mine is the sole voice in the wilderness, but I just can't imagine anyone opting for a vehicle because it "boasts" such bells-and-whistles. If Nissan truly wants to stay ahead of the competition, it should simply focus on increasing its range (improved batteries, an aluminum chassis, carbon fiber body panels, etc.).

Beyond that, if Nissan really wants to add more amenities, I would much rather see a larger solar array on the roof to help cool the cabin when parked in the sun. This would, of course, also improve the Leaf's range, by reducing the A/C drain on the batteries.

My $0.02 worth, anyway.

Solar panel = very expensive, heavy and very little net gain unfortunately. Perhaps they need to consult real experts, try making the car weigh less, this costs less than solar panels and nets more.

EVDRIVER said:
Solar panel = very expensive, heavy and very little net gain unfortunately. Perhaps they need to consult real experts, try making the car weigh less, this costs less than solar panels and nets more.
I completely concur that improving the battery and reducing the vehicle's weight should take top priority. However, let me clarify that I am not talking about an expensive solar array large enough to run the A/C. What I had in mind is something similar to mere solar vents in sailboats:

200958.jpg

Units like this are not large. They only weigh 2.5 pounds and are 10.5" in diameter, yet are sufficient to exhaust about 1,000 cubic feet of hot air per hour from inside a vehicle. They cost about $125 retail.

Of course, I am NOT suggesting that Nissan mount one of these on the Leaf's roof! Yow! :eek: But it does seem feasible to put a solar panel this small up there, with the vent fan itself somewhere else inconspicous. Sucking out the hot air that builds up inside a vehicle while sitting idle in the sun could help reduce the pending drain on the A/C, once the owner returns and drives elsewhere.

Anyway... I, for one, would be willing to pay a C-note more for an EV that boasts such a feature. Of course... I live in a desert. ;)

The SL model already has a small solar panel on the rear, near the hatch. They only need to connect it in to the ventilation system fan to do what you are asking about. The 3rd generation Model 4 Prius (with the sunroof) has this feature as well, runs the ventilation fan off the small solar panel behind the sunroof. Rumors are Nissan is going to use the small panel to keep the 12V battery charged... They could also make it run the ventilation system as an option, as least on the SL model, if they chose to.

mitch672 said:
The SL model already has a small solar panel on the rear, near the hatch. They only need to connect it in to the ventilation system fan to do what you are asking about. The 3rd generation Model 4 Prius (with the sunroof) has this feature as well, runs the ventilation fan off the small solar panel behind the sunroof. Rumors are Nissan is going to use the small panel to keep the 12V battery charged... They could also make it run the ventilation system as an option, as least on the SL model, if they chose to.
Yup, that is what I was aiming for, Mitch! I already knew that the solar panel on the spoiler was to trickle-charge the 12V battery. I was assuming, however, that it might have to be a bit larger to also run a vent fan. Then, of course, the idea begs the question: would the heater & A/C fan suffice or would it be better to have a small, separate vent up near the roof, since hot air rises...? Maybe... under the spoiler, blowing out the rear...?

Oh FFS, now these kids are recommending the recycling of trash in the center console to help keep the car clean, since you won't have to stop for gas. :roll:

Hey, how about keeping your car clean inside in the first place?

EVDRIVER said:
Yanquetino said:

My $0.02 worth, anyway.

The new solar panels are inexpensive and very light..thin film. :)

Back