direct powering of HVAC from L2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Perhaps this is already done, but if not, then I want to suggest Nissan look into it:

I've been thinking that it might be of use (such as to help preserve battery life) to allow for a parked vehicle to have an L1 or L2 hookup that directly powers the heating, cooling, ventilation, radio and perhaps other functions. This would allow for completely bypassing any wear-and-tear on the battery for those tasks, particularly if it goes on for hours.

Background to suggestion is I've been wondering about the trend toward drive-in movies during covid19, and whether EVs have any advantages over ICVs for going to those movies. One advantage is no local emissions. If a new style of drive-in is developed which has L1 or L2 ports convenient to the vehicles, then even better (though I'm not sure about the increased risk of using the public plugs.... maybe attendants could plug and unplug a vehicle).

The leaf already does that.
Plug in and hit the start button twice with out pushing the brake and set the defrost to the desired temperature.
But I never tried to cool it down with the defrost in the summer.

Oilpan4 said:
The leaf already does that.
Plug in and hit the start button twice with out pushing the brake and set the defrost to the desired temperature.
But I never tried to cool it down with the defrost in the summer.

It does sound like there is some thinking in that direction, but I have more in mind sitting at a drive-in for 2-3 hours and having the heat or the cooling on (such as having the A/C on in Arizona) and not bothering the traction battery or the sli battery at all with any of it.

The problem is that Nissan just isn't concerned with minor issues like 'not bothering the traction battery at all'. If they were, they would offer variable charge limits - or at least an 80% limit.

Back