Idea for Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

Nissan,

Here is an idea for you. Please start selling, through your dealerships, different types of Leaf performance upgrades. This could be upgrades to the motor unit, battery, handling, etc. This provides an additional revenue stream for you, as well as helping your dealers recover some of the service revenue lost through electric vehicles. This also extends the relationship between you and your new (and generally) energetic customer base, which will translate to better brand loyalty and sales (which you are at high risk of losing).

Ex. Sell 30 kWh batteries to 24 kWh leaf owners at a price which makes sense.
Ex. Sell a motor upgrade which will either improve efficiency or power (or both) in a way that allows owners to feel they are tweaking or upgrading their experience.
Ex. Upgrade the Quick charge and Level 2 capabilities through to higher rate.
Ex. Sell an add on air or liquid cooling option for battery temp management.

Even having these offering available will allow your dealer network to reach out to their customers in a way they can't today.

Thank you for your consideration

I would upgrade our 24 to a 30 for say $10k, if I had an option to go larger say the 40 or 60 for even more $, I would likely do it right now. But I don't want to spend the $7k for the same size and range we started with but instead will likely end up purchasing a Bolt with that $ and just keep the Leaf for our next 16 year old.

Because I never came back for anything after getting an iPhone, I moved back to Android.

Try very hard never to buy Apple products as a result. Maybe I am an exception.

Start selling through your dealership's Leaf upgrades.

Could you make this sentence a bit more clear? Did you mean: "Start selling Leaf upgrades through your dealerships"?

I'm going to move the topic to the appropriate forum if I can. This won't affect it otherwise.

Calaveras said:
This is like asking Apple to upgrade your 3year old iPhone.
They make more money selling you a new one.

But consider the considerable positive publicity and word-of-mouth if customers were actually able to double the range of their used LEAFs cost-effectively. I'd love to sell 4 new cars based on the positive consequences of one less-profitable upgrade instead of 1 new car in a market where negative word-of-mouth has dried up most of my prospects.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Agreed

So first add on is a Nissan certified routing of ac to the battery.

If only it were that easy. The battery cooling (and/or heating) system has to be designed into the battery pack, not just something blowing air on one end of the cells. Not sure if you've seen any photos of Tesla's pack, but their cooling / heating system runs through and touches (and affects) every cell in the pack.

It would be a complete redesign for Nissan to replicate something like this, and since they've had many chances to do it with with the various packs that have been released over the last few years, it's clear that Nissan doesn't think it is necessary or cost effective to manage the temperature of their packs...

I have seen videos of their pack, and it’s pretty cool.

My guess is that Nissan ran out of time in this year cycle to get cooling into the design. It will come by 2021 at the latest.

That said,
Even running cool air over the battery would nominally help extend the charge rates for those in hot climates.

That said, Even running cool air over the battery would nominally help extend the charge rates for those in hot climates.

It seems wrong on the face of it, but I think that it would only work well in cooler climates. Why? because the air blowing over the pack has to be much, much cooler than the pack temp to get a decent pack temperature drop.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Even air running as the output from the AC, understanding that the AC itself puts some load on the battery?

Ah, I thought you meant passive airflow from the environment. A/C chilled air would either help or not, depending on whether the heat removed from the air stream by the A/C got blown over the pack as well, from the underside.

I'll ask for a simple one. Fix the glaring and mind numbingly stupid decision to put only ONE USB port in the 2nd gen Leaf. If there is anything so minor, that my Partner and I find so obnoxious, it was going cheap on the USB route. We like to have enough ports to run a dash cam, charge his phone, tether mine to the car, charge his, and play audiobooks from thumb drives. We were able to do all of this in the Jeep Compass that was sacrificed to buy our SL Plus.

USB plugs can be added by adding a mulitiple USB/ Cigarette lighter plug "brick" that is pluggged into the car 12v plug. That is really easy.

No car will be designed to handle all of your toys.. You adapt it yourself

Wolfy said:
I'll ask for a simple one. Fix the glaring and mind numbingly stupid decision to put only ONE USB port in the 2nd gen Leaf. If there is anything so minor, that my Partner and I find so obnoxious, it was going cheap on the USB route. We like to have enough ports to run a dash cam, charge his phone, tether mine to the car, charge his, and play audiobooks from thumb drives. We were able to do all of this in the Jeep Compass that was sacrificed to buy our SL Plus.

I totally agree. Yes, you CAN use hubs and CIG adapters, but in 2019 you shouldn't have to!

Other things I would like (not in any order):

1) Freaking charge % limit setting! You know, like every other EV?
2) Seat and mirror memory
3) Power Auto Folding mirrors would also be a nice touch
4) Bigger Screen
5) Better Bluetooth menu / interface. My Subaru is much better.
6) Telescoping steering wheel. It only tilts
7) A bit more soft touch in the cabin
8) Better speedometer - I like the Kia style with a digital in the center. The left side has one screen with a digital but then you can't see other data.
9) Thermal System for the Battery
10) Rear AC vents
11) 2" More Rear leg room
12) Rear-view mirror needs to go (aim) higher than it maxes out at currently
13) Change to CCS

14) A 400+ mile version for under 30k (someday)

Back