Ipod controls... TORTUROUS!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohmie

I can't really comment on OS suggestions for the LEAF, but I do have quite a strong opinion on the ipod controls.

Ipod controls on the LEAF are VERY DISAPPOINTING!

I'm surprised this hasn't been noted already. The system is extremely primitive. If you switch over to AUX with your ipod connected, it automatically starts playing the first track listed in alphabetical order. This list of tracks includes podcasts, and other non-music with audio (videos, etc.). Believe me, if you use your ipod in the LEAF you are going to get VERY SICK of that first song!!

Why? Because it plays every time you connect to the ipod and continues to play as you try to find the menu, and then continue to click through to what you want to play (e.g., podcast). And there is no quick, easy way to scroll. So if you want to play tunes that start with anything past 'P' its going to take a while to get to them! And podcasts get interspersed with song tracks, so the list is especially long. You can't control anything from the ipod itself, it is locked out; you are forced to use the Nissan system. It will take a minimum of four or five screen touches to get going, while the first track plays.

Once you get what you want to start playing, the Nissan ipod control system continues to be disappointing. The total length of each track is not presented (so, e.g., you will have no idea how long a downloaded podcast might play for). There is no shuffle songs option. It seems every time I plug in my ipod, I find something else to grumble about.

Which is really too bad. I have become accustomed to getting news, entertainment, etc. from my ipod in the car and to some degree, rely on it. So much so that I'll probably continue to use the ipod in the LEAF (despite the significant annoyances!). I'd have thought Nissan would have been able to handle this; most are going to be disappointed with this feature of the car. I hope they improve it asap! It is fairly maddening.

Nissan uses Clarion for their audio & bluetooth system.

BTW, you mean USB connection for iPod - not AUX, right ?

I don't like the USB iPod controls either. What particularly annoys me is that they lock out the controls on the iPod/iPhone so I can't use my own controls (FlickTunes). So I'll be sticking with a separate car kit and use the aux jack...

MrZorg said:
I don't like the USB iPod controls either. What particularly annoys me is that they lock out the controls on the iPod/iPhone so I can't use my own controls (FlickTunes). So I'll be sticking with a separate car kit and use the aux jack...

Yeah, that would be usesless to me too, since I mostly use Spotify. But since there is a regular aux jack that should be ok...

LeafTalk said:
Does it work any better over Bluetooth on an iPhone?
The Bluetooth interface is even worse (not sure if that's the radio's fault or the iPhone's). All you get is play, pause, previous, next. No display, nothing.

Speaking of Bluetooth, I found an annoying problem that I hope I can help others avoid. I use a car kit with dock connector line out with my iPhone 4 connected to the aux jack. I've found that if I plug in my iPhone before the Bluetooth has connected, the iPhone will see the Bluetooth audio and switch output to that, and then I get no sound over the aux jack (the radio, of course, remains on aux not Bluetooth). The solution to this is to wait until the Bluetooth is connected before plugging in your iPhone car kit. Or you can manually switch the audio output back to the dock connector (if you're using the iPod app), but that's a hassle. It's easier just to wait.

Perhaps this goes without saying, I don't know ... but I should probably clarify nonetheless:

Overall, I absolutely love the car. It is AWESOME! As much as you might rely on the USB (like me), I wouldn't let this area of weakness keep anyone from buying the LEAF. I'm really, really enjoying the car. It is so secure, smooth, smart, efficient, tight, quiet, quick, convenient, clean, cool, etc., etc.!

My message was mostly directed to Nissan, as something they should investigate, where there is clearly some room for improvement. I wonder if they can upload an updated USB control system for current users? Seems like it would be pretty straightforward, once made available... there's even a card slot behind the nav screen for uploads, etc.

The Prius works pretty much the same way. Don't know if I should beyelling at the phone manufacturers or the bluetooth developers

In my Murano I have the [overly expensive] ipod adapter kit that ties in with the sat radio device. I've found a few tricks, might help if the Leaf is designed the same way.

I've noticed that if you don't have anything already queued up on the ipod, then yes, it starts at the first track on the entire device. But if you have a playlist already selected, it will continue playing wherever it left off.

The one really annoying issue is that if you have your ipod on shuffle, when you connect it to the system it switches back to non-shuffle. EVERY TIME you connect it, or every time you restart the vehicle. As a work-around, I have found that it plays in the order of the playlist as it was displayed in iTunes when the iPod did its last sync. So, before you sync your ipod, make sure your playlist is shuffled, and sort by the "Play Order" (first column on the playlist). Then sync your ipod, start playing the first listed song on that playlist, THEN connect it to the vehicle. Now just don't touch, you'll be playing your "pre-randomized" playlist. Once I had that set up, all I ever use is the forward/backwards track buttons.

AGAIN, this is for my MURANO, not sure if the Leaf behaves the same way. Would be nice if someone could try it out and report back to see if it's the case.

I use streaming audio (pandora, etc) from my iPhone more than the iPod functionality. Can anyone comment on how this works in the Leaf, and which interface works best?

In Blue Tooth streaming the audio can come from Pandora or anything coming through the audio of your iPhone. You can also control the song selection with your iPhone.

I generally use my iPhone this way even though it doesn't charge my phone but I have a charge station at work if I need to charge my phone.

I have to agree that the LEAF audio system needs some improvements. I guess part of the problem is that the car is a version 1.0. Although they have other stereo systems in other cars, maybe they started from scratch with the LEAF.

As bad as the ipod controls are, the controls for a generic USB drive are much worse. Hopefully they will listen to us and make the system easier to use. The scrolling down seems pretty painful to me. Would be great if we could jump down to the middle of the alphabet or something like that.

-Peter

Some head units that control iPods have an option to allow iPod control or lock it out. I'm not 100% sure what the difference between the two modes are though. It would be nice if they were to offer that. All I want is to be able to use the controls on my iPhone...

LEAFguy said:
MrZorg said:
All I want is to be able to use the controls on my iPhone...
Simple... use the auxiliary input jack, not the usb port.
Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing. Although, I gave the USB iPod controls another shot yesterday and I'm starting to warm up to them. It's not the best for finding a specific song, but for just listening or picking a playlist it's fine. You can always unplug, find the song you want with the iPod and then plug it back in.

For those of you who have tried or know:

I have a 60Gb HDD based Ipod with version 1.3 software. It was a 2005 model. Will the Leaf fully control this model over USB and display the menus, songs, etc on the dash display as with, say, a new Itouch? If so, I'll probably keep it and use it for just a music source for my Leaf, otherwise, if not, I'll sell it on Ebay.

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember some here saying that it's only rated for the "iPod classic" (which is the newest model of the non-touch iPods) and above, so possibly not. Take a look for the sticky thread with links to all the documentation and see what the owners manual says. I'd look for you, but I'm feeling lazy tonight. :D

Electric4Me said:
I use streaming audio (pandora, etc) from my iPhone more than the iPod functionality. Can anyone comment on how this works in the Leaf, and which interface works best?

i use both Pandora and Slacker and only thru BT. i wont use cable if i can possibly get away with not doing so. besides it would require me to unplug my i pod which is older and does not have only other way of transmitting.

as for controls. its play/pause. no skip or anything or least, i have not figured out how to skip. there is separate buttons for both but BOTH buttons toggle back and forth which is completely confusing to me.

I heard Steve Jobs bought a Leaf. I'm sure he's crying in frustration while he tries to use his iPod. My suggestion to Nissan is to rip all the center console crap out and put an iPad to control all the ancillary systems.

Back