Update Carwings!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody else want to vomit when they see how dated and hard to use the carwings interface is on the internet, and how nearly useless it is on their smartphone? This car is so innovative, why is the Carwings software designed like a clunky and awkward windows 95 computer?

Ugh, welcome to nearly any software/interface written for cars these days. If a car manufacturer hired away a couple of Google or Apple developers they could have the best navigation/infotainment interface out there from the first release of the software.

That's so crazy to me. You're right, but car manufacturers should be ashamed. It's not even the onboard part of it that drives me nuts, it's the web interface. Something that every high school kid in america could easily fix for them during a break from their twitter account. The route planner is designed by somebody who has CLEARLY never heard of google. Enter a start point, click the address in the list, trust that the whole thing is in the text box that it doesn't fit in, click the search button, click the address again so its pin will show on the map. Click add waypoint, enter an address, click in the list, click search, click the address for a pin, repeat for all the waypoints and final destination of your trip. Once you've clicked search on each one and verified them manually - TWICE - it finally lets you hit the button to plan your route. Painful.

In google maps, you say navigate to the georgia dome, and hit go, it figures out the addresses & calculates it all for ya, then if you want to add waypoints along the way it's just as easy. Burger King, and it adds a nearby burger king along the way. I can't think of any excuse for Carwings to have such an antiquated direction system. The eco trees are strangely fun for me though, I must admit. :)

And one other thing: Why can't carwings on my phone show a map of where I parked the car? It's the least it could do for making me push the $%^& dash "OK" button every time I use it.

One of my favorite Carwings UI gaffs is it asking my if I'm SURE I want to request an update of the car's state of charge. Why wouldn't I be sure? And who cares if I pushed the update button by mistake? Also, why is the Cancel button on the top, and OK underneath? Do most people cancel? So many design mistakes in just one simple function.

DeaneG said:
One of my favorite Carwings UI gaffs is it asking my if I'm SURE I want to request an update of the car's state of charge. Why wouldn't I be sure? And who cares if I pushed the update button by mistake?

CarWings design truly sucketh, but in this case I think the answer is that "message rates may apply..."

damnameisinuse said:
....The eco trees are strangely fun for me though, I must admit. :)

And you can see now much the concept matters to Nissan, if you view the graph for the "World ECO Forest", which has been broken since February 2012. In fact, the line for Europe (about 2Million trees) has now surpassed North America and Japan, despite the fact that they each have about 13Million trees.

Attachments

• ef.png
    ef.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 141
  • et.png
    et.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 141
jimcmorr said:
is there a problem with car wings vehicle status updates today or is it just me?

Not just you. I came here to see if anyone else was having trouble. My last update was 8 hours ago. Since then, all apps time out or return an error. Additionally, the car is unable to "connect to information center" via the in-dash Carwings menu. Good to know at least it's not my vehicle.

baronvonshush said:
jimcmorr said:
is there a problem with car wings vehicle status updates today or is it just me?

Not just you. I came here to see if anyone else was having trouble. My last update was 8 hours ago. Since then, all apps time out or return an error. Additionally, the car is unable to "connect to information center" via the in-dash Carwings menu. Good to know at least it's not my vehicle.

Yes. Good to know, its not the car! I just tried again (3:34 EST. had to be up for work.) and it worked this time.

baronvonshush said:
jimcmorr said:

I was having connectivity problems in terms of updating (status) from the Nissan's iOS Leaf app all day today. However, that was when my car was parked the in the 3rd level underground at my work, where it seems the car can't get AT&T signal. So, it usually can't get status there anyway.

It did work when I tried a few hours ago, while at home.

I haven't used the route planner on the web site much, but I think many people have noticed that Japanese companies aren't usually known for outstanding UI design.

mwalsh said:
Carwings wasn't working worth a damn again this morning. It's working now. But of course that doesn't matter, 'cause I don't need it anymore today:

Yeah, I had issues all day today, just tried right now and it seems to work eventually.

I am not sure how something with so little load works so badly, and is missing so many obvious features!

Great idea, bad execution.

Back