redesign the shifter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeDub

I think the leaf would be better served with a more regular shift pattern on the shifter. Just use the same "computer mouse" shifter and make it slide back and forth with the usual P R N D pattern with the B mode added after D. The side action seems totally unnecessary. Simple change that should cost Nissan almost nothing. I think it would appeal to a broader buyer base rather than just the early adopters and teck-savy buyers.

The shifter was one of the things that my wife loved about the Leaf. Her comment: "Why aren't other cars like this?"

CeeDub said:
I was trying to convince my wife to get a Leaf for her commute, but she felt insecure driving the car due to the strange shifter.

she never used a computer mouse?

I think the shifter is simply brilliant to make the car feel like it was straight from the Jetsons.

I love it, even when I have hit the P while driving at highway speeds (and quickly shifted back to D)

The shifter is one of the things I love about the car. I want there to be a few details that set it apart from everything else on the road.

Overall, I like the shifter, but there should be at least be an interlock to keep from pressing "P" on accident and locking up the brakes. This happened at a local dealership here in Milwaukee to one of the demo cars and got rear ended badly.

Personally, I like the shifter the way it is... But I also wish it didn't creep forward when the brake is released and didn't do regenerative braking when you let off the gas. There should be a switch on the steering wheel to progressively apply the regenerative braking instead. In short, this is an electric car. It should not have programming to drive like an old fashioned car. It should be new and drive like the innovation that it is.

I think you are in an extreme minority on this topic. Once of the issues with the LEAF is it is too much like a ICE car, sadly. If this kept you from buying the car then an EV is not for you, likely many consumer electronics as well.

I love the shifter, especially on my 2013 LEAF because I can toggle quickly and easily between D and B modes when I want more or less regen. I can do this without taking my eyes off the road.

My wife had no problem learning to use a similar shifter design on our Prius, and after driving a Prius, getting used to the LEAF shifter is a non-event.

If you really want a LEAF, you might see if you can rent one from the dealer for a week. Drive it around with your spouse and show her how simple it is.

I don't see any problem with the shifter on the LEAF. Seems to work just fine. If you want a car with a Quirky shifter---drive a I-MiEV. It's fun to drive a left hand drive car with a right hand drive car shifter.

Wow, the shifter on the car made your decision on whether to buy or not?
Well, you're right it cost Nissan a sale but you're the only one.
Enjoy buying gas for the Versa :lol:

How much was your total out the door cost of the Versa?

My Nissan Leaf SL including sales taxes was USD$16,250 after my tax credits, and I will never pay for gas!

It won't go in to park at more than about 6 mph...

jotunheim said:
Overall, I like the shifter, but there should be at least be an interlock to keep from pressing "P" on accident and locking up the brakes. This happened at a local dealership here in Milwaukee to one of the demo cars and got rear ended badly.

No offense, but you are the only person I have heard of anywhere who did not buy a Leaf because of the shifter...

CeeDub said:
The folks who did not like the shifter did not buy a Leaf and are, therfore, not on this forum, so of course I will SEEM to be in the minority!

braineo said:

My Nissan Leaf SL including sales taxes was USD$16,250 after my tax credits, and I will never pay for gas!

dang, that's cheap! Leafs cost more in CA I guess.... the S model here is like 22K before taxes and after rebates....
Versa was like 17K total with taxes n junk.

CeeDub said:
braineo said:

dang, that's cheap! Leafs cost more in CA I guess.... the S model here is like 22K before taxes and after rebates....
Versa was like 17K total with taxes n junk.

Are you bored? You already have seven posts on a forum for a car you don't have and don't ever plan on getting. Shouldn't you be on the Versa forum (assuming they even exist)?

CeeDub said:
I said this would be for my wife, not I. I would not make her drive something she feels uncomfortable in for the sake of efficiency. I would be able to use and adapt to the shifter just fine, as do most of the pople who OWN a Leaf already, and who are on this Nissan Leaf FORUM! The folks who did not like the shifter did not buy a Leaf and are, therfore, not on this forum, so of course I will SEEM to be in the minority! Some folks wanna stick-out in their EV car, so be it, but I think most folks just wanna nice and efficient car without hassles...... I would like to think anybody who owns a Leaf wants as many people as possible to buy one.

I don't think it can be easier or more intuitive to use. There are plenty of cars with strange shifters but the LEAF is as basic as it gets. I think this is an issue of a psychological block more than function. Some people have blocks to any kind of change and simply block out the desire to use things or even give them a chance. At least you won't need to get any more modern cars as they will all likely function something like this in the future.

It took me about 20 seconds total to fully learn and adapt to the shifter. The test drive ended my training on that feature.

It took me a minute to keep from getting mixed up with fwd and rev. It's opposite as to what I would intuitively think. But I got used to it.

Back