TonyWilliams

California only edition LEAF - "COMPLIANCE PLUS(TM)"

Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 am

Valdemar wrote:If their promises come to life [to install 400 more Nissan branded DC chargers in the USA], Nissan will be so much ahead in the lower-priced EV segment, the competition, if there will be any, is going to struggle to catch up.
The only real competition that Nissan has to worry about within California (the largest EV market by far) is with the low ball*** compliance cars. Therefore, I suggest Nissan market a "California Edition" LEAF for $23,999 (or whatever price beats all the others). Eliminate the battery heaters!!! Cheap or no radio!!! No hubcaps!!! No underbody panels!! No power windows / mirrors / door locks!!! No roadside assistance!!! No free battery checks!!! No towing!!! No nothing!!!

Nissan will still be able to sell those CARB credits (Tesla made $63 million doing just that) and every lease still gets a wonderful $7500 pay check from Uncle Sam at tax time. This will boost total production and squeeze the compliance guys who really don't care to even be in the EV business. For instance, if Toyota can't unload 2600 Rav4 EV's, they are going to write a big check to either Tesla or Nissan for their excess credits. Same for GM with their Spark EV compliance car.

Nissan still can come out in 2014 model year (about the same time the Spark EV actually hits the street) with a price below Spark EV, Fiat 500e, Smart ED and Mitusubishi iMiev.

*** low ball, meaning that each manufacturer is no doubt losing money on these, but must produce them at a price that will sell the required number of CARB credits in phase III (2012-2014)
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ydnas7

Re: California only edition LEAF to compete w/compliance car

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:00 am

Compliance cars are conversions, some candidates

Nissan Versa Sedan http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or Nissan Versa Note http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-note" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or Better yet from mexico http://www.nissan.com.mx/autos/march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None of these cars have the wheelbase of the Sentra/LEAF so they would presumably have to forfeit some battery (about 4 modules) to fit, so its a nominal 22kWh battery.

The early Nissan EV plan outline did have a low cost Nissan EV below the leaf and an Infiniti above the LEAF

or just make a Sentra EV

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 am

Interesting idea... low ball to not only squeeze, but possibly make up for the losses somewhat by receiving ZEV credit $ from other automakers.

Not sure it's worth the engineering and tooling effort to replace the power windows w/crank ones. But yeah, they could cut out a fair bit more than the S has cut and advertise an even lower teaser price. Some might actually get sold to rental car fleets, use as company cars like for security guards or as meter maid cars.

For those who were unaware, Nissan had a "stripper" Versa at http://www.caranddriver.com/features/20 ... sa-16-base" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I believe w/o the destination charge, its MSRP was actually under $10K.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 am

Even if all the compliance-only cars were priced better, with the numbers being produced are they that much of a threat to the Leaf? I heard Honda was only producing 1100 Fit EV's and in the Bay Area they are already sold out of them. I don't know how many 500e's will be produced, but as Marchionne has already loudly complained how Chry/Fiat loses $10k on each one, he probably won't make any more than he absolutely has to.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:51 am

ydnas7 wrote:Compliance cars are conversions, some candidates

Nissan Versa Sedan http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or Nissan Versa Note http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-note" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or Better yet from mexico http://www.nissan.com.mx/autos/march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None of these cars have the wheelbase of the Sentra/LEAF so they would presumably have to forfeit some battery (about 4 modules) to fit, so its a nominal 22kWh battery.

The early Nissan EV plan outline did have a low cost Nissan EV below the leaf and an Infiniti above the LEAF

or just make a Sentra EV
The reason compliance cars tend to be conversions is because those manufacturers have decided they will only abide to the law to extent necessary to stay out of trouble, and no more, so they won't do what Nissan did and design an EV from the ground up. They will stuff a battery and an electric motor into an existing car, keeping engineering costs as low as possible.

Short of sourcing gliders from their factory in China (a la Coda), now that Nissan has done the engineering work on the Leaf, I don't know how putting a battery into an existing ICEV would make a cheaper EV for them. They would have to do more engineering which means more costs which have to be passed on to the consumer.

A Nissan EV that is cheaper than today's Leaf S would likely be a de-contented model as Tony mentioned, perhaps with an even smaller battery pack.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

KJD
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15656

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:20 am

I like any idea that would increase EV sales. On the other hand I have never been a big fan of the striped down models. I do not buy a new car very often and when I do I want one that I can be proud of not some bare bones POS.

As far as increasing sales volume I would like to see Nissan match what Honda did and eliminate the mileage restriction from the lease.

This would have a side benefit of having the EV's on the road more so more people would see they are a real car. The more people that see these cars on the road the more new customers it would generate. This car sells itself in spite of the marketing blunders of Nissan corporate.
2012 SL Delivered 12/08/2011
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 am

KJD wrote:As far as increasing sales volume I would like to see Nissan match what Honda did and eliminate the mileage restriction from the lease.
Since the Honda FIT EV is a closed lease I would not be surprised if they are all taken back at the end of the lease and destroyed so why would Honda care how many miles are on them? Nissan on the other hand will most likely sell the lease returns and high mileage would most likely impact the resale value just like any other car.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 am

I'm not sure that Nissan can ever compete with these compliance cars. After all, Nissan is trying to sell the Leaf for a profit and compliance cars are most likely not profitable. In fact, I have to wonder to a certain extent what the purpose of a compliance car is. I mean, how does forcing a manufacturer to make a small number of compliance vehicles do anything? I doubt the are going to plow much R&D into electric cars as a result. And they'll never make or sell enough of them to really make much difference.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 am

Actually, I read in a trade paper a while back that mechanical windows are actually no less expensive to produce than electric ones... That may explain why you rarely see them any more...
cwerdna wrote:Not sure it's worth the engineering and tooling effort to replace the power windows w/crank ones. But yeah, they could cut out a fair bit more than the S has cut and advertise an even lower teaser price.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

TonyWilliams

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 am

Spies wrote:
KJD wrote:As far as increasing sales volume I would like to see Nissan match what Honda did and eliminate the mileage restriction from the lease.
Since the Honda FIT EV is a closed lease I would not be surprised if they are all taken back at the end of the lease and destroyed...
Absolutely, they will crush them. No parts inventory. No liability. CARB ZEV credits from 1100 cars, check!!

UNLIMITED MILEAGE, LEASE ONLY IS CODE FOR "WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO, WE'RE GOING TO CRUSH IT AT THE END".

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”