Steering wheel buttons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauileaf

I've come to hate how small the volume button is on the left. Make the buttons larger or don't put as much useless junk on it to make room. End rant.

Its too late for me because i already bought my leaf but I would much rather have the Cruise Controls and such on the left side and the nav and audio on the right. Most people drive with just their left hand (dont ask me why, idk, i ended up driving like that too). That would allow speed control with the hands thats on the wheel control as well as audio and nav stuff more towards the nav screen. Wouldn't it make sense to have the controls for the screen 'in-line' with your vision of the screen?

One other thing along those lines, I like the ability to push in the source control, wish that would have been implemented for the CC as well... causing Cancel instead of having to find another button. I have many-a-time missed or hit the horn trying to find the cancel button.

Anyway, I've been looking into what it would take to swap them and it doesnt look easy :/

yes i know you should have both hands on the wheel, but frankly, few people obey this.

Several times now, I have been in Eco mode, tried to activate Cruise without looking down at the wheel, and have pressed the Eco button instead, causing the car to leap forward as it switched to Normal mode and the throttle resistance dropped. Having those two buttons together like that is a terrible idea. Cruise should have its own stalk like most cars, and I agree that if the button stays where it is, it should also act to cancel Cruise.

LeftieBiker said:
Several times now, I have been in Eco mode, tried to activate Cruise without looking down at the wheel, and have pressed the Eco button instead, causing the car to leap forward as it switched to Normal mode and the throttle resistance dropped. Having those two buttons together like that is a terrible idea. Cruise should have its own stalk like most cars, and I agree that if the button stays where it is, it should also act to cancel Cruise.
Wow, that does sound like a really, REALLY bad layout.

While we're on the subject of steering wheel buttons, I'll put in my .02 and request the phone mute be put there.

This is one of my few pet peeves with the car too. Why do I have so many cruise buttons & no button to change stations on the radio? the pointless cancel button could be the cruise on/off, freeing up a space for the Next/Previous buttons for the stereo that are woefully absent on the steering wheel layout as is. Plus, this would separate the cruise control from the eco button, which I agree is annoyingly easy to hit the wrong one.

sling said:
Its too late for me because i already bought my leaf but I would much rather have the Cruise Controls and such on the left side and the nav and audio on the right. Most people drive with just their left hand (dont ask me why, idk, i ended up driving like that too).
I don't think the CC should be on the left. It was on the right side of my 02 Maxima, my 04 350Z, my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid and the Toyotas my parents and I own/owned (e.g. 91 Camry, 96 Camry, 02 Rav4, 06 Prius). I've even had a Chrysler rental car w/the same type of cruise control lever that Toyota started using on '92+ Camrys.

About the only folks who want it on the left is where on some old GM cars (and some not so old), they totally overloaded the turn signal stalk w/a bunch of stuff including cruise control.

I recall that on JDM cars, on the wheel where radio and cruise controls tend to be mirrored vs. the US, which isn't surprising since they drive on the other side of the road. Also, at least on JDM Toyotas, the stalks switch sides (signal on right, wiper on left).

Re: the small volume buttons, yeah, I wish they were bigger. http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2012/04/27/19/00/2002_nissan_maxima_se-pic-3780589271895102728.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was what the 02 Maxima's wheel looked like (I don't like this color as it wasn't mine and I didn't have a Maxima SE so I didn't have the goofy white-faced gauges). Its volume buttons were bigger.

The driving range button is near useless. May as well remove it or replace it w/something useful.

braineo said:
Use the left toggle to move stations on the radio or skip songs using blueetooth.

Ah! How had I not figured that out yet? lol. I thought toggling just moved back & forth through sources. :) Thanks!

I don't use blue tooth for my phone. It would have been nice to have a mute button on the steering wheel. It would be especially nice when you have passengers and want to kill all sound. Other than that, it has been very easy geTting used to the control positions. 2014cayenne red SL. So far it's a great car.

Back