Extra Battery Option

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

Here is an idea -- I am sure other others have thought of it -- we should be able to go to the Nissan dealer and he should be able to plug in an extra battery pack that is already charged on a rentable basis for those days when we need more range. After we are done he can remove it, charge it and rent it to someone else!!

Saleem

saleem145 said:
Hello,

Here is an idea -- I am sure other others have thought of it -- we should be able to go to the Nissan dealer and he should be able to plug in an extra battery pack that is already charged on a rentable basis for those days when we need more range. After we are done he can remove it, charge it and rent it to someone else!!

Saleem

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=238308#p238308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebill3 said:
coolfilmaker said:
Teslas have swappable battery packs.
Really? Reference, please, because I sure missed it..
This is the first best thing I could find, Bill. I have definitely heard this before.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/06/12/tesla-supercharger-network-to-feature-solar-panels-battery-swap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swapping Tesla batteries appears to be "Yoney's Conjecture".

The LEAF battery pack is also engineered to allow relatively
quick exchange of the whole pack, but that does not mean
that pack-swapping is a viable enterprise.

We've discussed this before. But ultimately there isn't enough room or weight capacity in the leaf to accommodate a large enough battery to really make a significant difference in range. For example, adding 50 miles of highway range isn't really likely to be useful enough to warrant driving to the dealer to rent it.

On the other hand, if there was some sort of I.C.E. range extender available for rent, that would be a different story.

How much would it cost to buy a generator that would pump out 16 amps at 220V ?

Not to lug it around in the Leaf, but to permanently station it at a destination that I frequent often and would need a charge to get back ?

Thanks, ebill,

With just 111 pounds, why is this not a solution for a range extender ? So that you can carry it in the trunk only on those occasions when you need the range.

Would 4 gallons capacity be enough to generate 24+ kWh to fill up the Leaf's battery ?

It's not a range extender, it's a gas-powered charger, as you can only use it while parked. You are looking at a LONG, LOUD time waiting for that range too! 10-12 hours for a full charge or approx 8 miles of range per hour of sitting there listening to yourself not think with the loud generator running!

(And you'll need a 12A EVSE)

-Phil

mkjayakumar said:
Thanks, ebill,

With just 111 pounds, why is this not a solution for a range extender ? So that you can carry it in the trunk only on those occasions when you need the range.

Would 4 gallons capacity be enough to generate 24+ kWh to fill up the Leaf's battery ?
No. The spec says 10 hours at 50% capacity, so I'd probably count on a gallon an hour for near full capacity. Four hours at 12 Amps is probably less than 30 miles added range.

Plus, I think it would require a man and a strong boy to hoist that thing up and out of the trunk. Don't forget the >24 lbs for 4 gallons of gasoline, and the stinky gas can in the trunk.

Generator can power the motor directly instead of charging the battery. This is what happens in the Volt. But one possibility is that you rent the generator from your Nissan dealer and then return it after that long trip. So you don't pay for it when you buy the leaf.

Saleem

Back