TonyWilliams

Re: Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 pm

cwerdna wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote: When walking ul to the car, it will automatically unlock the door. Pushing the door button then relics the car. Very frustrating coming from Nissan / Infiniti cars.
You sure about that? Typical Toyota Smart Key System behavior is that the interior lights turn on as you approach it w/the smart key. Only when you touch the rear of the door handles do the doors unlock, confirmed by a two beeps. Pushing the black button locks the doors and that is its ONLY action. On newer Toyotas w/SKS (like the '10+ Prius), the black button has been replaced by two ridges that you can push on/squeeze on.

On Nissans w/smart key (Intelligent Key in Nissan parlance), the black button serves both lock and unlock functions. I dislike that.
I stand corrected. Obviously my hand did touch the handle, which activated the unlock, as you state.

TonyWilliams

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm

There is no rear seat heater, or steering wheel heater in Rav4.

I like the "real" sun visor with extension on the Rav4.

The airbag light for the passenger lights up when there's a passenger, instead of lighting up to tell you it won't deploy with too little weight (LEAF). I don't like an indicator light on to tell me something is operating normal (in aviation, this is the norm "dark cockpit" concept).

I like the bigger softkey buttons on the navigation screen. Way better than LEAF.

DaveEV

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 am

Wow, 130 miles on a charge - that's awesome! How long did you charge while in Santa Ysabel? Too bad it doesn't have CHAdeMO charging - you could easily drive across the state in this thing.

How far do you think you could have driven your LEAF under the same conditions? What did the car report as the mi/kWh for the charge?

TonyWilliams

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 am

drees wrote:Wow, 130 miles on a charge - that's awesome! How long did you charge while in Santa Ysabel?

I didn't charge at all. Just plugged it in for the photo op, then kept driving. I had driven 28 miles in the morning prior to driving the 40 miles to Julian (and 4000 feet up).

Too bad it doesn't have CHAdeMO charging - you could easily drive across the state in this thing.

Yes, you could. I think this car is so awesome, that I wouldn't mind spending a sizeable amount of money to research adding a Chademo port. Moving the L2 to the nose is a given; I really dislike backing in places (can you imagine angled street parking, trying to back in for the cord to reach?).

How far do you think you could have driven your LEAF under the same conditions? What did the car report as the mi/kWh for the charge?

I had reset the economy meter at the top where it had 2.5 miles/kWh for the 68 miles driven that morning (just the 40 miles up the hill would be slightly below 2.5) and the return was like 8 something. Iit doesn't roll quite as good as LEAF, but very close.

The LEAF, when new and same conditions would do mid 90 miles of range on this 84 mile round trip (about 4.5 miles/kWh). My red LEAF had degraded enough that I couldn't do this trip anymore. The black LEAF is close to not being practical (different than possible). I would drive any LEAF much more cautiously, since I'm cutting it close, while I drove the Rav4 like any other car, and really didn't think about range. It was a true pleasure.

Rav4 did 130 miles / 36 kWh (total guess) = 3.6 miles per kWh for the whole trip, including 4000 foot elevation change.. But, I started at home (580 feet) and ended at the dealer at sea level.

TonyWilliams

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:55 am

tbleakne wrote:charging at 6.6 kW L2 = 24 miles per hour of charge - about 50% better than 2011/2012 LEAF.
If your L2 is actually delivering 208V (quite common, I believe), charge rate would be a little lower.
And if you're plugged in at an RV park, with a proper OpenEVSE with 40 amp capability, you'll get 9.6kW charging. I notice the charger is rated to 265 volts, so maybe we need to carry a transformer to bump that 208/240v to 260 !!!! (10.4kW). I can think of lots of fun things to do with this car. What about adding the second Tesla charger for 20kW ?

What is the usable battery capacity in kWh in both Normal and Sport mode ?

Usable remains the same (I'm guessing 36kWh). The change comes with normal charge (our 80%) and extended charge (range charge in Tesla-speak) to 100%.

So, maybe 36kWh at 100%, and 31kWh at 80%, versus 21 and 16.8 for LEAF. But, you have to subtract some amount of degradation from LEAF at year two, and I think the liquid cooled Tesla Roadsters are doing VERY well even in Phoenix after many years.... another strike for Nissan.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 am

Well I found out this morning that the EVSE upgrade does NOT work with the RAV4. :(

Won't be able to do a 100% to empty test like Tony did. I am lucky enough that we've got some decent L2 around here so I'll still do some hill climbing.

I don't like the nav. I was using my iPhone with pandora yesterday, and while that works, the interface is not intuitive. I tried out using a USB drive with music in folders this morning. You don't get a nice list view like in the Leaf, just a single folder and song which you can scroll through individually. I haven't used the navigation functions yet (will this afternoon), but there's a whole bunch of red dots on the map where I've traveled. Not sure I need all those "waypoints" displayed. I haven't figured out where the volume control is besides the steering wheel. :shock:

That said, I do really like the climate control display. Both the heater and AC work great in our 50-80 degree weather we have at the moment. The heated seat works like the leaf, but has 3 heating levels. I miss my heated steering wheel.

At work the chargepoint reports 6.2kW draw. I presume this means 30A at 208V.

The manual for the car seems to be curiously absent. ;)

[Pictures will be added to this post this afternoon.]
Former 2012 SL leasee (6/23/12 - 9/23/15)
Former Honda Fit EV leasee
Former Chevy Spark EV owner
Now driving Tesla Model 3

TonyWilliams

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:27 am

JeremyW wrote:Well I found out this morning that the EVSE upgrade does NOT work with the RAV4. :(
What do it do. I didn't even try it. My rental had the cheap looking EVSE in the trunk. I don't know what rate that is; presumably 12 amps at 120 volts.

I haven't figured out where the volume control is besides the steering wheel. :shock:

Hit the little music note icon in the upper right hand side of the Nav screen. A menu will pop down with MUTE, and a sliding scale for volume, plus fast forward, etc.

Please try out the "myENtune.com" and get the app on the iPhone.
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
JeremyW wrote:Well I found out this morning that the EVSE upgrade does NOT work with the RAV4. :(
What do it do. I didn't even try it. My rental had the cheap looking EVSE in the trunk. I don't know what rate that is; presumably 12 amps at 120 volts.
It looks like the exact same trickle cord they ship with the PIP. At least it's made by Panasonic.

ImageImage

TonyWilliams

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 am

drees wrote:How much did Mossy Toyota charge you for the rental?
$59 per day. Gasoline $5/gal if not full. (Kidding; I asked them if they cared how much energy was in the battery when I returned it; they didn't care)

EVDrive
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
drees wrote:Too bad it doesn't have CHAdeMO charging - you could easily drive across the state in this thing.
Yes, you could. I think this car is so awesome, that I wouldn't mind spending a sizeable amount of money to research adding a Chademo port. Moving the L2 to the nose is a given; I really dislike backing in places (can you imagine angled street parking, trying to back in for the cord to reach?).
I think it is a big mistake not to offer fast charging on this car. Toyota claims to be in the Chademo camp so where is the putting it into action. Even the option to add a second 10kwh charger would be cool.
This day and age, you can't hope to have a successful EV without fast charging.
Interested to see if anyone could add aftermarket fast charging to this car. I would be more than tempted to buy one if it had a fast charger option. I would buy the base model s if they had a fast charge option as well.

I also agree about the charge port placement, the front is the right place. A few co-workers have the model s and they have to back in to charge everyday at our company chargers. Pretty stupid charge port placement on the model s as well.

The major flaw of no quick charger (which in my opinion proves Toyota wasn't serious about making this car a success in the market) aside, the Rav 4 EV is an amazing car to drive. Comfortable, powerful and has the minimum range needed for a stress free day trip. It definitely has room for extra seats in the back as well.
- SF Bay Area
- 2011 Leaf traded in at 46,000 miles, 3 years, lost 1 bar
- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”