tbleakne
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400

Re: Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks to Sparky bringing a Toyota RAV4 EV demo car to the Oct 13 Socal meet at Cerritos, I was able to test-drive the RAV4 EV a second time. Boomer23 also rode along.

I did a very crude coasting test from 35 mph to stop in neutral. I didn't have a LEAF for comparison, but the RAV4 seemed to have decent but not great coasting efficiency.

There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels. The regeneration display I was following had no kW markings. Perhaps, like the LEAF, the center display can show more, but I am not optimistic.

Since the RAV4 EV has no QC port, miles per hour of L2 charge is especially important to me for this vehicle. Although its aerodynamic drag coefficient is about the same as the LEAF's, its larger frontal area will most likely give it a lower score on L2 mileage than the 2013 LEAF on common 32A L2.
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

abasile
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 pm

tbleakne wrote:There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels.
It is unfortunate that Toyota chose to dial back the regen, making the new RAV4 EV more like the Prius in that respect. (The prototype RAV4 EV that I drove almost a year ago had excellent regen.)

If anyone has an opportunity to take a new RAV4 EV for an extended test drive, please consider doing some mountain roads. :-)
tbleakne wrote:Since the RAV4 EV has no QC port, miles per hour of L2 charge is especially important to me for this vehicle. Although its aerodynamic drag coefficient is about the same as the LEAF's, its larger frontal area will most likely give it a lower score on L2 mileage than the 2013 LEAF on common 32A L2.
It does seem that the 2013 LEAF comes out ahead by that measure. But you start out with so much more range in the RAV4!
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

tbleakne wrote:Thanks to Sparky bringing a Toyota RAV4 EV demo car to the Oct 13 Socal meet at Cerritos, I was able to test-drive the RAV4 EV a second time. Boomer23 also rode along.

I did a very crude coasting test from 35 mph to stop in neutral. I didn't have a LEAF for comparison, but the RAV4 seemed to have decent but not great coasting efficiency.

There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels. The regeneration display I was following had no kW markings. Perhaps, like the LEAF, the center display can show more, but I am not optimistic.

Since the RAV4 EV has no QC port, miles per hour of L2 charge is especially important to me for this vehicle. Although its aerodynamic drag coefficient is about the same as the LEAF's, its larger frontal area will most likely give it a lower score on L2 mileage than the 2013 LEAF on common 32A L2.
tire pressure would have been set for maximum ride comfort (very little time to impress, so Toyota will pull out all the tricks) which means worst pressure for coasting. I find little difference in handling or ride comfort when tire is inflated to max pressure on side wall. i do feel an EXTREME change in handling especially on turns. higher pressures decreases the feeling of body roll and with the very low center of gravity caused by the traction battery, this is a good thing. a VERY Good thing
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 pm

abasile wrote:If anyone has an opportunity to take a new RAV4 EV for an extended test drive, please consider doing some mountain roads. :-)
There's a dealer in my area that rents them (one?) for ~$130 for a weekend. Will try to schedual a rental probably in two weeks. I've got a good hill nearby I can test out the regen. Even in "B" on flat ground, there seemed to be more "pull back" from the regen than a Leaf in Eco.

Of course my big test is to see how fast I can go up the hill, rather than regen down it... :mrgreen:
Former 2012 SL leasee (6/23/12 - 9/23/15)
Former Honda Fit EV leasee
Former Chevy Spark EV owner
Now driving Tesla Model 3

tbleakne
Gold Member

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:30 am

JeremyW wrote:
abasile wrote:If anyone has an opportunity to take a new RAV4 EV for an extended test drive, please consider doing some mountain roads. :-)
There's a dealer in my area that rents them (one?) for ~$130 for a weekend. Will try to schedual a rental probably in two weeks. I've got a good hill nearby I can test out the regen. Even in "B" on flat ground, there seemed to be more "pull back" from the regen than a Leaf in Eco.

Of course my big test is to see how fast I can go up the hill, rather than regen down it... :mrgreen:
This would be great. I guess you are not likely to do this RAV4 EV test drive before we see you in SoCal this Saturday?

reeler

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 am

I test drove one at Mission Bay Mossy. They didn't seem eager to sell it and the sales folks didn't even really know it was on the lot. It has the same look as the ICE version, but I like that the Leaf has iconic styling not like anything else in their lineup.

It is a nice car, but I think I would buy a Tesla for just a little more money to get the additional range. If it were AWD, I might reconsider. You cannot get third row seating either so I am not sure it is much bigger than a Leaf from a passenger comfort perspective.

They wouldn't budge on MSRP. I think you can get $3200 in lease cash however if you just want to lease. Basically you are paying 20% more than a Leaf for 25% more range and a little more storage space.

If I could get 5% off MSRP, I might reconsider. I think I will just wait for Tesla to do a mini-SUV as their Model X is too ostentatious for me.
2016 Blue LEAF SV | 2017 Gray Bolt LT | 2016 Black Tesla S75D
10 Ways to Save on Tesla Model S or Model X: http://tesladiscountcoupon.com

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 am

tbleakne wrote:This would be great. I guess you are not likely to do this RAV4 EV test drive before we see you in SoCal this Saturday?
I'm renting it this weekend. Cannot wait! :)
Former 2012 SL leasee (6/23/12 - 9/23/15)
Former Honda Fit EV leasee
Former Chevy Spark EV owner
Now driving Tesla Model 3

tbleakne
Gold Member

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

JeremyW wrote:
tbleakne wrote:This would be great. I guess you are not likely to do this RAV4 EV test drive before we see you in SoCal this Saturday?
I'm renting it this weekend. Cannot wait! :)
Great to hear. What are they charging you to rent the RAV4 EV? I assume they are renting you their demo unit and they have at least one other RAV4 EV on the lot to show any customers who show up while you have the demo.

I am sure you know what data to take.

TonyWilliams

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 am

The 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV:

The Tesla 10kW charger on the Rav4:

Some box in the left rear corner of the Rav4:

This morning's drive after a "range mode" charge (100% in LEAF speak):

This morning, after the 35 minute drive:

After I turned the car off:

EnergyNovice
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2012

Re: RAV4 EV prototype hits the highway in La Jolla on Monday

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

evnow wrote:
Herm wrote:Most people will think Prius when you mention electric..
Yes, some do confuse between hybrids & electrics. Typical conversation runs like
me : I got an electric car
J6P : You mean like a hybrid
me : No. 100% electric.
J6P : Wow. How much was it etc etc
the answer to EVDRIVERs questions is: When they are profitable.
What comes first, chicken or the egg ?
More I bet.. how much do you think the battery costs?
Tesla batteries would cost about $20 K. The new format ones they will use in production may be a little costlier. My guess is they will use a smaller battery and settle for a smaller range, if they want to bring down the cost.

What would you buy if they cost the same - Rav4 EV or Model S :lol: :lol:
Model S hands down!

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”