300+ mile BEVs currently available in the U.S.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

I considered putting this in the EV specs topic but I think it deserves one of its own, and I and hopefully others will update the list as new cars qualify.

GCR: quote]Range life: The 8 EVs EPA-rated for 300 miles or more[/quote]

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133620_range-life-the-8-evs-epa-rated-for-300-miles-or-more

. . . More importantly, we’re finally at a point in which multiple EVs—not only from Tesla—offer 300 miles or more of range. In surveys for years, American respondents have been saying that 300 miles is a sweet spot that would allow more families to consider EVs.

The BMW i4, BMW iX, Cadillac Lyriq, Ford F-150 Lightning, Genesis GV60, GMC Hummer EV, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Mercedes-Benz EQS, and Nissan Ariya are all due to arrive by mid 2022. And all are predicting a range of 300 miles or more in some versions.

Prices include destination charges unless indicated otherwise. And while there may be multiple models in a lineup that top 300 miles, we only list each model once. While some models on the list haven't been delivered quite yet, we've limited the list to models with confirmed ratings at FuelEconomy.gov.

Further, because charge rate is just as important in making these vehicles usable for long trips, we’ve given some indication of how quickly they can pack a significant amount of range back in.

Lucid Air Grand Touring
EPA range: 516 miles
Road-trip fast-charging: 300 EPA miles back in 20 minutes, on 350-kw CCS hardware
Price: $139,000 (plus destination not yet disclosed)

Tesla Model S Long Range
EPA range: 405 miles
Fast-charging: 20-80% in about 30 minutes
Price: $91,190

Tesla Model X Long Range Plus
EPA range: 371 miles
Fast-charging: 20-80% in about 30 minutes (expected)
Price: $101,190 (Long Range)

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
EPA range: 353 miles
Fast-charging: Up to 200 miles in 15 minutes
Price: $51,190

Tesla Model Y Long Range
EPA range: 326 miles
Fast-charging: Up to 200 miles in 15 minutes
Price: $55,190

Rivian R1S
EPA range: 316 miles
Fast-charging: Up to 140 miles in 20 minutes
Price: $70,000 (plus destination not yet disclosed)

Rivian R1T
EPA range: 314 miles
Fast-charging: Up to 140 miles in 20 minutes
Price: $67,500 (plus destination not yet disclosed)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended Range
EPA range: 300 miles
Fast-charging: 10-80% in about 52 minutes
Price: $53,700 (Mach-E Premium)

So, the cheapest 300+ mile BEV you can currently buy (not counting government subsidies) is a Model 3 LR at $51,190 MSRP+ dest., while
According to Kelley Blue Book, in June 2021, the average transaction price for a brand new car was over $42,000. Used car prices also reached a record high average of over $25,000 in June 2021, paired with an average of 68,000 miles on the vehicle, according to Cox Automotive.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/buying-car-in-2021-how-to-save/

I strongly suspect that most of the general public surveyed who said "300 miles is a sweet spot that would allow more families to consider EVs" meant "300 miles like an ICE", not with all the qualifications which make practical BEV ranges much less, and of which the general public are unaware.

I'm not sure what is and isn't included in the KBB number, e.g. taxes etc., i.e. is it an out-the-door price? As the article says, average car prices have soared over the past year. As a measure of how far BEVs have to go to be affordable by the mass market, this was the situation 4 years ago when the average new car price was $9k lower:
. . .The report by Bankrate.com shows that in all but one of the 25 largest U.S. metro areas, households with median incomes cannot afford the average price of a new car. In six of the surveyed areas, they can afford less than half the amount.

“The [average] household can’t comfortably afford to buy a new vehicle,” said Claes Bell, a Bankrate.com analyst. “That means a lot of households are overextending themselves on car costs, and that can potentially crowd out other priorities such as saving for retirement.”

As a way to measure affordability, the study applied the so-called 20/4/10 rule: a 20 percent down payment, a four-year loan, and payments and insurance comprising 10 percent of a household’s gross (pre-tax) income.

With the average new-car price at more than $33,000 in May, according to the latest data from Kelley Blue Book, only the Washington, D.C., metro area’s nearly $100,000 median income could qualify.

In the worst market for affordability — Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach — a median-income household (around $51,000) could afford a $13,577 car, while the average new car there would cost more than double that ($35,368 including local sales tax), according to Bankrate data.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/28/that-shiny-new-car-is-out-of-reach-for-many-americans.html

Note that one model of the Lucid Air is EPA-rated at 520 not 516 miles range.

Back