Guess what I spotted at Nissan HQ today? Version 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

The picture doesn't lie, it's the 2022 Ariya. After bugging the tech to take a look around and inside, it does support both ChaDeMo and CCS opposite sides of the vehicle. So basically, you should be able to charge this anywhere in the US except Tesla I guess, but still, double support! Before you ask, yes, it has auto folding mirrors, Pro Pilot 2, the battery size on this one is the 65 kWh. I caught them right before they were about to leave, so I couldn't LeafSpy it or anything. :lol: ;)

FGNvp20.jpg

m6iKqSI.jpg

First time to see it, and it looks like a regular car with nice lines and no odd EV light features. i like it.

I do see CHAdeMO in use but CCS AND CHAdeMO? You sure about that? Or, was it CHAdeMO and J1772 on opposite sides?

If it were CCS and CHAdeMO, that would be interesting but I do wonder if they actually intend to sell that or of it's just a one-off pre-production test vehicle....

That would be a super cool add...and could support why there have been some pics appearing of old Leafs test charging at superchargers with Chademo with an unidentified adaptor.

A supercharging Ariya that also supported ccs...would absolutely be a differentiator.

But all speculation....please get more info.

...I thought about this some more. This could also be how Nissan continues to basically keep its monopoly I the burgeoning V2G expansion in the UK and expanding trials in Australia and other places.

I suspect this is just the Japan-spec model, nothing more. Notice the steering wheel on the right side. Right side flap likely has J1772 (AC only).

cwerdna said:
I do see CHAdeMO in use but CCS AND CHAdeMO? You sure about that? Or, was it CHAdeMO and J1772 on opposite sides?

If it were CCS and CHAdeMO, that would be interesting but I do wonder if they actually intend to sell that or of it's just a one-off pre-production test vehicle....

He showed me, it is J1772 + CCS underneath all in one. I asked him why CHAdeMo, it was just easier to reach on that side, LOL. The station only does 50kW no matter which one you choose (or both if two vehicles).

JeremyW said:
I suspect this is just the Japan-spec model, nothing more. Notice the steering wheel on the right side. Right side flap likely has J1772 (AC only).

It could be a proto-type that has both for testing, the right side had the J1772 + CCS combo. It would be nice if the production was made that way, but I guess we will find out next year. Everything I've read seems to indicate it will be J1772 + CCS combo when released here, while ChaDeMo still reigns supreme in Japan. I wonder how much more complex or expensive it would be to keep both like this?

I didn't want to seem like a stalker to the guy, so I didn't take a lot of pictures, but just for comparison. The door that hides the ChaDeMo is the same size as the door on the other side. The J1772 + CCS combo is slightly taller (port wise) than the ChaDeMo, so it was behind a big door also. I didn't get one with the other door open because I was trying to Not come off as a Nissan stalker. :lol:

EU2dmAM.jpg

bK8yZor.jpg

DougWantsALeaf said:
Please ask them to consider offering both in the US. :)

Fully agree, the technology is already there, having an EV that does both is a good PR headline. Maybe a package upgrade for those that want it to keep cost down for those that won't care or know the difference. ;)

cwerdna said:

tester. Makes ZERO sense to put both on there.

DougWantsALeaf said:

the ONLY reason CCS is coming to the US is due to the failure of Chademo to bring higher power to the market. Nissan recognized that a premium trim EV had to charge faster than 100 Kw to be marketable and Chademo currently can't do that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

the ONLY reason CCS is coming to the US is due to the failure of Chademo to bring higher power to the market. Nissan recognized that a premium trim EV had to charge faster than 100 Kw to be marketable and Chademo currently can't do that.

I wouldn't blame CHAdeMO directly, CHAdeMO 2.0 specification allows for up to 400 kW by 1000 V, 400 A direct current, CHAdeMO 3.0 increase charging rate to 900 kW (600A x 1.5kV), all the while ensuring backward compatibility with the current CHAdeMO.

Ask if a current Leaf, even with a 62 kWh battery could handle 400 kW, let alone, 900 kW for charging, probably not. CCS doesn't really solve the problem if the battery can't handle the power coming in to it. I think the failure is more consolidation around CCS than a failure of CHAdeMO. Both can deliver the power needed, they just use different connectors and locking points.

From a consumer standpoint, a connector is a connector, as long as it can charge the vehicle they drive, they aren't concerned or even know the difference between the two.

If more major EV manufactures had decided to jump on CHAdeMO, it would have made a difference, we see what happened when they went the other way. Market movers decided for the consumers in this case, we just have to go along with it.

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I wouldn't blame CHAdeMO directly, CHAdeMO 2.0 specification allows for up to 400 kW by 1000 V, 400 A direct current, CHAdeMO 3.0 increase charging rate to 900 kW (600A x 1.5kV), all the while ensuring backward compatibility with the current CHAdeMO.

Ask if a current Leaf, even with a 62 kWh battery could handle 400 kW, let alone, 900 kW for charging, probably not. CCS doesn't really solve the problem if the battery can't handle the power coming in to it. I think the failure is more consolidation around CCS than a failure of CHAdeMO. Both can deliver the power needed, they just use different connectors and locking points.

From a consumer standpoint, a connector is a connector, as long as it can charge the vehicle they drive, they aren't concerned or even know the difference between the two.

If more major EV manufactures had decided to jump on CHAdeMO, it would have made a difference, we see what happened when they went the other way. Market movers decided for the consumers in this case, we just have to go along with it.

And how many V2 chademos do you have in your neighborhood?

that's sweet but you need to ask one of these guys if they are working on a solution for those of us with chademo so we can use ccs....they should hopefully have something in the works......

DaveinOlyWA said:
And how many V2 chademos do you have in your neighborhood?

Right now, we have exactly the same number of V2 ChaDeMo as we have of the 400 kW CCS, zero basically. :lol: I mean, we are suppose to have a lot of those 350 kW EA charging stations but no one seems to be able to get more than 150 kW out of any of them. I wouldn't blame that as a failure of CCS no more than I would blame it as a ChaDeMo failure, not many EV can charge at 350 kW and we don't even know if the stations that can claim to do 350 kW of power can actually do it. ;)

mjb750j said:
that's sweet but you need to ask one of these guys if they are working on a solution for those of us with chademo so we can use ccs....they should hopefully have something in the works......

Having a tester vehicle that already has both tells me they already have a plan for the markets where CCS is the dominant and ChaDeMo is the dominant, so they can just build for the areas (Japan/China, Europe, US, etc.) My guess is the vehicle firmware will probably be coded to work with both, then add in the hardware to work with it. That means they are probably not going to work on a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter and instead just sell you the vehicle compatible for the area or part of the world you live in. From a business perspective, that makes sense, when making money is the goal. From the consumer standpoint (Us that is), it sucks because perfectly good EV can't QC around the world or even our local area easily.

We all know here in this forum where a bunch of smart and technical people post, there is no reason why an adapter can't be built, only that the cost would not make it feasible unless a lot of research is put into making the design cost effective, easy to build, etc. The kind of stuff that Car companies do. I know myself and quite a few others here could build an adapter if we had the time and resources to do it, but none of us are going to put in that kind of time and money for a one-off project.

Maybe if we would get a big enough support campaign going to petition Nissan to do the hard work for this? I just don't see them doing a project like this out of the goodness of their heart. :?

Back