Audi Q4 Etron

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrjones

The Q4 is officially unveiled today or tonight, I believe.
We have speculated on it in various threads here but nothing official.

It really does seem like the Audi version of the ID4, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Starting price at 45k.

Some details:

Like the ID.4, the standard configuration comes with a single 201-hp electric motor on the rear axle, which will be called the 40. A 77.0-kWh battery pack is standard, and Audi expects an EPA-estimated driving range of 250 miles for this lower-powered version, which it claims will get to 62 mph in 8.5 seconds. The more powerful Q4 e-tron 50 Quattro incorporates an all-wheel-drive setup with front and rear electric motors that provide a total output of 295 hp and 339 pound-feet of torque. It will likely have a lower range number than the 40, and Audi claims a zero to 62 mph time of 6.2 seconds.

The Q4 e-tron will allow for fast-charging capability of up to 125 kilowatts

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36106875/2022-audi-q4-e-tron-revealed/

2022-audi-q4-e-tron-107-1618346617.jpg

2022-audi-q4-e-tron-109-1618346759.jpg

Finally some news on this:

"starting price of $44,995, including the $1,095 destination charge. It’s worth noting that the Q4 electric vehicle is about $1,000 cheaper than the gas-powered 2022 Q5 SUV."

Not bad, though I expect Audi will probably Nickle and dime for tons of packages and options.

Looks like 3 trims, the Q4 40, Q4 50 and Q4 50 Sport back.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-7.53.56-AM.png

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/21/audi-launches-its-newest-ev-the-q4-e-tron-suv/

DougWantsALeaf said:
Considering it qualifies for the Federal tax credit, that's really not too bad.

No and if it qualifies for the "potential" future union and battery pack credits it could get better. $12k off, at the dealer.

I can live with manual seats. Though the entry trim with the package might be a sweet spot. You do have to step up a trim level to get Adaptive cruise though.

However, I do see one or two issues too. It appears it only comes with the Audi basic crash prevention system, even on the highest trim. That would mean no prevention system. No emergency braking or warning. Etc.

I also do not see mention of cross traffic alert or even BSD. Those are what I consider basic safety.

Just received this from a dealer in Santa Clarita.

Which is a bit strange as WetEV was told he could pre-order now. They gave me no offer to pre order anything. Bummer.

The Q4 E-Tron has been delayed until March-April unfortunately.

I will let you know as soon as I have more information!

Sub-par CUV: $35k
Audi emblem: $10k
Crappy UI/UX: Gratis

---
$45k for the suburban housewife. Options extra

SageBrush said:

---

Keeping your wife happy:

Priceless

Or half of everything you own plus more for years to come.

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:

---

Keeping your wife happy:
Priceless

Or half of everything you own plus more for years to come.
You have me at a disadvantage since I've never tried to keep up with the Jones'
Still, I'm skeptical that consumer badges will do the trick.

Good luck !

It could be worse.

A model 3 or Y would cost a lot more.
Luckily she hates the single screen interior.

Honestly I like the Q4 as well, though I'd prefer the Ioniq 5. We still plan to check both when they hit the lots.

danrjones said:
A model 3 or Y would cost a lot more.
I have a Model Y/AWD/AP order from September that is $54k before options/delivery/taxes

It will have 330 mile range, up to 250 kW charging, and be able to use Supercharger/CCS/CHAdeMO DC charging

You may not have found the less expensive option, and certainly not if the tax credit is revived for Tesla. And as for value and spousal satisfaction .... well, I'll let you ponder that during charging stops and trip planning.

The Audi has a tax credit as well, and given the model Y is currently 59k that means a 14k difference. And if the tax credit doesn't come back, a 21k difference. Moreover we won't be using it as a long distance / trip car, so that's moot. It's replacing a 40 kWh leaf, so even though it's not on par with a Tesla, it's still far superior to what we have.

But most importantly, neither of us like the 3 or Y. Not everyone does. Don't get me wrong, I like Tesla and own stock. But RWD is fine for us, and the 3/Y interior style is just not us. I'd love an X or a R1S but $$$$$

danrjones said:
Moreover we won't be using it as a long distance / trip car, so that's moot.

Ahh.
Yes, as a somewhat local car the Audi will do fine. Expensive, but up to the task.
I've never really thought that owning a car to make up for deficiencies of another makes money sense. It is different if two cars are wanted anyway, then they can complement each other.

In an earlier post you said that a LEAF replacement will let you take trips the LEAF cannot. I didn't realize you are swapping for a bit of incrementalism.

As for the price, the Q4 with AWD and adaptive cruise control is $53k; if you add in the tech package to sort of reach Tesla level you are at $55k. So the '45k' Q4 is a de-contented car. Fine if that is what you want but not a better value. I admit to having a bias against expensive EVs that are not full fledged ICE replacements, in part because they are sure to depreciate like a rock, and in part because forced ICE ownership to make up the performance difference rubs me the wrong way.

Does the Audi get you anything other than a badge for the extra cost, compared to the ID.4 ?

Fair question. A much nicer interior. Or at least that's what I've read and seen, but we still need to check out for ourselves.

It indeed will allow trips the leaf doesn't allow but not long travel or a full ice replacement. Once vehicle doesn't have to be everything. Maybe the next ev after this will be.

Funny thing about depreciation- I figured that would happen to the Leaf too. And yet it's currently worth a ton more than I paid. Wonky times we are in!

danrjones said:
Funny thing about depreciation- I figured that would happen to the Leaf too. And yet it's currently worth a ton more than I paid. Wonky times we are in!

Wonky indeed, but very unlikely to persist more than 6 months more so I would not presume any car bought today would have the same crazy low depreciation when you are thinking of selling. Admittedly an imperfect comparison, but so far as I can tell I was paid $10k more for my Model 3 than its pre-crazy times value, while my Model Y cost has increased $3.5k before accounting for any possible tax breaks.

So far, this craziness and our timing and decision to consolidate two cars into one is looking good:
2013 LEAF bought Dec 2016 for $7k, apparently worth about $7k now
2018 Model 3 bought 2018 for 40k after tax credits, sold last month for $43k
Model Y pending for $54k (before options,tax,delivery) and before possible $7 - $8K tax credit

So casual (and somewhat arbitrary) arithmetic says at most $4k to turn 8 year old LEAF+ 4 year old Tesla Model 3 into new Model Y. If the tax credit comes through, I will get paid for the past 5 years of EV ownership + upgrade to new, more expensive car.

I just talked at lunch to my two closest Audi dealers. The "limited supply" Q4 has been pushed back to at least March, and one dealer told me at least a 10k market adjustment, the other said there would be a market adjustment but wouldn't say how much. He did say they are only scheduled to get two cars so far for 2022. More might come later.

No way in hell I'm paying 10k, let alone any extra. So I don't know what we will do. I could keep using the Leaf but I suspect I'll loose our first bar this year (summer), and that would drop the resale. If I plan to sell it I wanted to do so before it looses a bar. But I have no idea what to replace it with. Sadly, maybe nothing. I refuse to pay scalpers, including dealers, whether its Audi, Hyundai or Ford.

If anyone is curious, the 10k was Audi Bakersfield, CA. I may have uttered the F bomb and hung up on the guy. Knee jerk reaction, my bad.

In case anyone was wondering, the Q4 never came out in the US.

But don't worry, Audi says it still IS coming. And they have made some updates:

For the USA market, now only AWD, so that's jumps the price by about 5k for the base model. Then Audi recently raised prices, per their website.

The lowest prices Q4 you can get into now per their website is about 53k plus destination. But if you want Adaptive cruise and homelink (because why include that?), you are realistically looking at 60k - BEFORE 10k dealer markups. So for an entry model, what should have been about 44k, is going to cost you as much as 70k.

Given all that, this will probably be my last update on the Q4. It is well out of my price range now, and given the delays and the dealer markups, I'm not interested in following it.

Back