Official Hyundai Ioniq 5 topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

C&D:
Hyundai Austria Leaks Specs of Upcoming 2022 Ioniq 5 EV

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...tter&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowTW

AWD CUV, 313 HP/5.2 sec. 0-60, 280 miles WLTP which will be seriously inadequate EPA, but that's for the 58 kWh pack, with a 73 kWh pack to follow. 800V pack with solar roof, 20-80% in 15 minutes. Faster than I need and at 182.3" long it, like all the current gen RAV4/CR-V/Foresters is a bit longer than I'd like, but depending on the price and range of the big battery this is the closest anyone's come to meeting my major BEV requirements. Will definitely take a look when it gets here.

LeftieBiker said:
It looks to me like an Asian take on a Cyber Truck.
I had a similar thought unless it was just shadows

So ...
Another EV CUV entry with a harsh design language some will like
Some interesting next gen power electronics
Mediocre power performance
Mediocre range in the standard model

The EV overall looks like a superior choice over the Arriya. That is admittedly not saying a lot, other than I expect Arriya price cutting soon after its introduction.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Spec are good, and Ionic has shown in 70mph tests to best the M3 (insideEvs)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

DougWantsALeaf said:
Efficiency, not range.
1. That is the sedan, not the CUV. You have no idea of the CUV weight, Cd or frontal area -- or even its drivetrain efficiency.
2. 99% of people care about efficiency in the pursuit of car cost and *range*. The 2020 Ioniq sedan was nowhere close to the Model 3 in range, and the Ioniq5 is nowhere close to the range of a Model Y.

3. You are comparing that sedan to the 2019 version of the Model 3. The Model 3 has improved its EPA range from ~ 320 to 360 miles, or about 12%. The older Model 3 was 4.25 miles/kWh so the current model will average ~ 4.25*1.12 = 4.76 miles per kWh -- well above the 2020 Ioniq at 4.5 miles/kWh

Sage

My point was only that Hyundai Ionic has been among the best from an efficiency perspective and that the extension of the line will likely continue that tradition. With Lucid coming in from the top and Hyundai from the value segment, it will continue to change the dynamics of the market place.

My personal belief is that beyond 250-300 miles of EPA range, the vast majority of consumers will move to looking at other qualities of EVs like interior feel. For Europe I think that magic number is only 175-200 miles, hence the explosive growth of Zoe.

Tesla will continue to do fine growing with the market, but the runaway growth will mute a bit as competition shows up in groves/with scale and any given one may challenge Tesla's dominance in a single category.

Happy holidays to all

DougWantsALeaf said:
My point was only that Hyundai Ionic has been among the best from an efficiency perspective
Unless you can compare (or correct for differences in) mass, Cd and frontal area, there is no way to know where the CUV model will fall amongst its competitors. And as I said above, RANGE and cost are king, while performance and and charging miles/min are princes.

SageBrush said:
<Snip>

2. 99% of people care about efficiency in the pursuit of car cost and *range*. The 2020 Ioniq sedan was nowhere close to the Model 3 in range, and the Ioniq5 is nowhere close to the range of a Model Y.

<Snip>

Priorities depend on the survey, although there are notable similarities among the top three. Castrol did a worldwide survey of both consumers and fleet managers, and also broke the results down by market. The top five items private customers thought necessary for mainstream adoption (the order was different for fleet managers) were, in descending order:

1. Price.

2. Charging time.

3.Range.

4. Charging infrastructure.

5. Vehicle choice.

The survey is a PDF titled "Accelerating the EVolution: The tipping points to mainstream electric vehicle adoption". If you can't find it directly, googling "Castrol EV survey" should bring it up as the 2nd result. The worldwide average charge time respondents thought was required for mainstream adoption was 31 minutes. Note, that's to 100% not 80%. Items 1, 3 & 4 are usually the top three in every other survey I've seen (don't remember if charge _time_ was a question in the others), although the order shifts around a bit.

Alex on Autos has an update.

Larger battery will be 77 kWh and will charge from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes. 800v architecture.

https://youtu.be/SlEuoHfG2GU

Call me intrigued. Looks like a nice vehicle, wonder what this means for the PHEV Ionic, I know someone interested in it but would probably be more interested in its current generation, more car-like, and hyper efficient. I myself like the looks of the new gen, more SUV like.

Upon rereading this thread it sounds like this is just an addition to the regular IONIC, then I have to wonder if the Ionic 5 will come in the PHEV variety.....? and also if either will be available in non CARB states in the near future.
edit-change CAFE to CARB

jjeff said:
Call me intrigued. Looks like a nice vehicle, wonder what this means for the PHEV Ionic, I know someone interested in it but would probably be more interested in its current generation, more car-like, and hyper efficient. I myself like the looks of the new gen, more SUV like.

Upon rereading this thread it sounds like this is just an addition to the regular IONIC, then I have to wonder if the Ionic 5 will come in the PHEV variety.....? and also if either will be available in non CAFE states in the near future.

I thought the idea is that Hyundai is creating a new EV and PHEV brand called Ioniq. So it is not replacing their original Ioniq. That original was the inspiration for this offshoot brand. They are going to introduce a number of "Ioniq" EVs.

danrjones said:
Larger battery will be 77 kWh and will charge from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes. 800v architecture.
That works out to ~ 150 kW average over the 70% SoC interval.
That sounds Tesla ballpark, although Tesla may be limited to closer to 60% SoC interval

The Ottoman is a nice touch ;)

But Hyundai is deep, deep doodoo on the battery supply front. Between fiery LG and embargoed SK, I don't know where they turn.

SageBrush said:
The Ottoman is a nice touch ;)

But Hyundai is deep, deep doodoo on the battery supply front. Between fiery LG and embargoed SK, I don't know where they turn.

Maybe LG is having a fire sale! :lol:

I thought the judge in the SK case has a several year period before it goes into effect, because Ford also buys from LG, right?

I also heard that Biden could theoretically reverse that ruling if he felt the impacts were too severe.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am very excited about a mainstream EV which has a solar roof that charges the traction battery. I believe this is the future, and it helps the grid in the process.
Generates too little energy. Not worth it. Discussed before at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6316.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Even 4-5 miles a day reduces the load of EVs have on the grid. It sounds like this roof will be in the 250-300 watt hour peak ballpark. A smartly designed EV could get to close to 1000 over time. You have to start somewhere.

Given my personal use case where my car sits parked in my driveway for one or more weeks at a time, a solar roof (and hood) has considerable value for me, and even for those who don't have such intermittent use the roof should be able to run AC and hotel loads on hot days, boosting range.
FTM, as I often sleep in the car at trailheads in winter, the ability to use the heater at night and then have most or all of those Ah replaced during clear day(s) while I'm out skiing would be useful to me.

ISTR the roof on my Forester was about 4 m.^2, so up to ca. 800Wp should be possible, although 4-600Wp is more likely.

Back