GRA

Re: General EV News

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:15 am

Yah. We just came through Harris Ranch and noticed that there were 8 Chademo/CCS stations being installed there. Interestingly enough the two that we could see not in their crates were 150 KW for both Chademo and CCS. These are being installed right beside the 16 V2 Superchargers.

That's the EA station, although I'm willing to bet that there's only a single CCS/CHAdeMO, with the latter rated at 150 kW CCS/50kW CHAdeMO. There's a chargepoint on the other side of the freeway, with 3 CCS/CHAdeMO stations.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:41 pm

GRA wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm
webeleafowners wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:15 am

Yah. We just came through Harris Ranch and noticed that there were 8 Chademo/CCS stations being installed there. Interestingly enough the two that we could see not in their crates were 150 KW for both Chademo and CCS. These are being installed right beside the 16 V2 Superchargers.

That's the EA station, although I'm willing to bet that there's only a single CCS/CHAdeMO, with the latter rated at 150 kW CCS/50kW CHAdeMO. There's a chargepoint on the other side of the freeway, with 3 CCS/CHAdeMO stations.
I took some pictures and didn’t blow them up to look close at them till now. I think you are right. Looks like dual CCS at 150. I haven’t uploaded them to flicker but if someone wants to see them I can and then put them in thr thread. Good location though. Two good restaurants. We stayed in the parking lot with the Motorhome. Wish it had destination chargers though. We will be overnighting there next fall on the way to Palm Springs.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

GRA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Put this here because we'll never see this in the U.S. GCR:
France's Citroen will rent its Ami two-seat electric car for less than $23 a month
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... 23-a-month

. . . The Ami will be available to rent for the equivalent of $23 a month, for a 48-month period with $2,900, or for shorter terms through Free2Move, the car-sharing service operated by Citroën parent PSA Group.

Customers will also purchase an Ami outright for $7,600 when it goes on sale later this year.

What's more, the Ami can be driven in in Europe without a full driver's license. The Ami's small size and low top speed (28 mph) mean it isn't considered a car under EU regulations. It's technically a "quadricycle," according to Citroën.

That means the Ami can be driven without a license by people was young as 14 and France, and 16 in other European countries, according to the automaker.

A 5.5-kilowatt hour battery pack gives the Ami an estimated range of 43 miles, as measured on the European WLTP testing cycle. A full recharge takes three hours from a standard European household outlet, Citroën said. . . .

The interior has space for two people and not much else, and instead of a permanent infotainment system, drivers simply plug their smartphones into the dashboard. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm

So if you want to grocery shop you have to go alone...? Ah, well...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:56 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm
So if you want to grocery shop you have to go alone...? Ah, well...

There's always the option of a roof rack, or just have your passenger hold a bag in their lap. But I expect most of the people using these for shopping will be doing so by themselves, so no problem there. If you regularly shop as a couple, then you've got other options like the Smart on up.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

ETron still continues to dominate in Norway in March. Telsa had some reasonable sales, but not close to eTron.

Through today March 25th.
ETron 1,320
Tesla3 756
Golf 502
Leaf 497
Kona 252
i3 227
Peugeot 208 214
Zoe 171
Skoda Citiago 164
Kia Soul 155
Mg Zs 147
2019 S Plus (98.6% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.6% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh

GRA

Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Recent articles say that both Lexus and Kia will be introducing 800V BEVs. The Lexus will come with a 10 year/1mil. km (621,000 mi.) 70% capacity warranty, but will apparently only be available in Europe, as its range and battery pack (ca. 54kWh) are too small for the US (and guessing they aren't willing to give that kind of warranty here given our higher temps).

Kia says the 800V cars will be for people who really need faster charging for long trips, i.e. me, but will have 400 volt cars for people who don't do a lot of long-distance driving. Sounds like we won't see affordable 800V cars for quite a while.
Last edited by GRA on Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Kia says the 800V cars will be for people who really need faster charging for long trips, i.e. me,
They're making an EV for the people who aren't going to buy it?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Kia says the 800V cars will be for people who really need faster charging for long trips, i.e. me,
They're making an EV for the people who aren't going to buy it?

People who are willing (and able) to pay more will buy it. I'm able but not willing. Of course, if they manage to offer it for well under $40k that would be a different matter, but given the price of the Niro I don't see that happening before 2025, and probably later. I'll be happy to be wrong. Here's what Kia said in their press release:
Furthermore, Kia will offer many of its new vehicles with charging capabilities tailored to the needs and budgets of customers across a range of vehicle segments. Kia’s EVs will offer either 400V or 800V charging capacity, enabling fast or rapid charging depending on the different types of buyer for individual model lines.

Pablo Martinez Masip, Director Product Planning and Pricing for Kia Motors Europe, explains: “We want to provide European customers with the best possible value for their money, something that we are committed to with every new car. This means that certain models, particularly those aimed at more cost-conscious buyers, will offer 400V charging capability. 800V charging won’t simply be reserved for Kia’s flagship models, however, but where it most closely matches the usage profile of a particular model line.

“Both systems can be charged at home or in public, with 800V rapid charging enhancing usability in models driven by customers who may rely on high-voltage rapid charging more often or drive higher mileages. 400V charging, as already found in the award-winning e-Niro and e-Soul, also enables rapid charging and will remain relevant for many customers who have greater flexibility about where and when they recharge. We will cater for all needs.”

GRA

Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

GCC:
DSM and Lightyear to scale the commercialization of integrated solar roofs for EVs

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... 5-dsm.html

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”