Buy a ID VW electric after DG?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, if they were good and affordable. If you start using the past sins of a for-profit corporation as a metric for what to buy, you'll never buy anything again. (Which might be good.)

My suspicion is that they will be good and expensive. A downside to the Tesla phenomenon is that it seems to be accepted now that EVs should cost $10k to $20k more than their equivalent ICE car...

I was dismayed with VW over dieselgate... but at the moment that the news first hit the airwaves, I happened to be sitting in traffic with the 4" exhaust of a lifted diesel pickup belching right into my driver's window. So while there's some moral guilt for VW's cheating, there's plenty of practical guilt for several other makers who manipulated the laws with the result of far more diesel pollution than the whole fleet of VW TDIs ever put out. To me it would be the height of folly to punish VW for dieselgate by boycotting their EVs, because I have followed their effort to re-invent themselves and, other than being maddeningly slow, they really do appear to be making a huge investment in EV production capacity. Probably bet-the-company huge.

An MEB VW or its Audi stablemate is pretty much at the top of my list of Leaf replacement candidates, but I have to see what the released cars look and spec like, then what the reviews say, and then (if I have the willpower ;) ) how the experience goes for the first round of buyers... I've owned a bunch of German cars and found that the "avoid the first year" mantra applies to them as much as to anyone. Quite on purpose that I waited till 2013 for my Leaf...

Back