Tesla Cybertruck Will Have Laser Windshield Wipers!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Instead of conventional windshield wipers, the Tesla Cybertruck will use lasers to zap water and debris off the windshield. I invite you to see the following video for details: [youtube]https://youtu.be/VUdcJo_efbU[/youtube]

There is speculation that by the time the Cybertruck is in production, the glass technology could prove them unnecessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Dum1s4gfSD4&feature=emb_logo
Per Jack Rickard's latest podcast:
Tesla's "transparent metal glass" is "transparent aluminum" (ALON, Alumium Oxynitride). Actually a ceramic, sintered at very high temperatures and pressures. Strength: 350MPa on its own, and can get up to 700MPa by polishing the surface. Was 80% optical clarity, but new techniques are up to 98% optical clarity. About the same hardness as sapphire. Used in some military glass applications.
Harder glasses tend to have more perfect, highly polished surfaces, and a side effect of this is that it's a natural Rain-X.
Re: windshield wipers: he thinks that if it really is something like polished ALON, water, dust, mud, etc won't even stick, so you might not even need them. "Permanent Rain-X. Probably better than Rain-X."

Sometimes (too often?) Tesla applies fancy new tech to a simple problem. (*)

Starting with AP2, they replaced the dedicated rain sensor with the the autopilot cameras. The result was that auto-wipers went from decent to terrible performance for cars that lacked the sensor. They've supposed developed a new "Deep Rain" neural net that is supposed to make the auto-wipers useful again, but neither of my cars has gotten the OTA with it yet. We'll see if that actually improves the problem they caused by switching out a simple sensor.

I'd really rather just have an adjustable intermittent wiper control like my LEAF had.

(*) not just limited to Tesla, but they sure push this more than other mfgs.

Dyefrog said:
There is speculation that by the time the Cybertruck is in production, the glass technology could prove them unnecessary.
Tesla's "transparent metal glass" is "transparent aluminum" (ALON, Alumium Oxynitride). Actually a ceramic, sintered at very high temperatures and pressures. Strength: 350MPa on its own, and can get up to 700MPa by polishing the surface. Was 80% optical clarity, but new techniques are up to 98% optical clarity. About the same hardness as sapphire. Used in some military glass applications.
Harder glasses tend to have more perfect, highly polished surfaces, and a side effect of this is that it's a natural Rain-X.
Re: windshield wipers: he thinks that if it really is something like polished ALON, water, dust, mud, etc won't even stick, so you might not even need them. "Permanent Rain-X. Probably better than Rain-X."

Jack likes to point out that he is the only person on the internet who's not always right :) And of course sometimes he just likes pulling legs.

Even with a perfect Rain-X application there a number of situations where you have to use wipers. I can't see a wiperless vehicle being a thing. And as a corollary of Jack's statement, I am always right. :lol:

What we really want to know is if there will be a shark on the hood/roof, with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here!

Dyefrog and nubo are both right. Yes, at high speeds, the hyrophobic treatment of Tesla's ALON glass will wick water away without the need for windshield wipers. Dyefrog is right about that. However, at nubo is right, too. At low speeds, you will need another means to rid the windshield of water. That's what the laser windshield wipers are for.

Tesla's laser windshield wiper patent is patent nuber: 20190351873

This is a link to the patent:
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...S1=20190351873&OS=20190351873&RS=20190351873

P.S. to Leftiebiker: No, this video was meant to generate not "income" but donations for my best friend who has cancer. Furthermore, i've posted an update to the video's description to tell everyone NOT to donate anymore since she passed away last night. So, if I am actively telling everyone NOT to donate, then how does my video generate "income"? My best friend died from complications due to cancer. Cancer sucks :-(

Dyefrog said:

My condolences. However, it's not so easy to distinguish cash-generating videos for charity from other types. The best way to handle that is to identify what you are doing in every post, via your signature line, for example. I don't know how this works, but isn't there a way to now de-link the videos from the site's hit reimbursement?

Yup, right out of Star Trek, this ALON (transparent aluminum oxy nitride) is.

Since there is some confusion how the Cybertruck's laser windshield wipers work, I made a short 2 min video explaining how it works:
https://youtu.be/ONypUoPGbkA

DougWantsALeaf said:
Transparent Aluminum! Right out of Star Trek 4 the return home.

How does the laser manage to vaporize water (much less, dirt!) if it is trapped by internal reflection inside the "glass"?

laser doesn't have to touch the dirt nor water to vaporize it. The heat of the laser on the spot of water or dirt on the glass will vaporize it.

Nubo said:
How does the laser manage to vaporize water (much less, dirt!) if it is trapped by internal reflection inside the "glass"?

lilly said:
Nubo said:
laser doesn't have to touch the dirt nor water to vaporize it. The heat of the laser on the spot of water or dirt on the glass will vaporize it.
You described the laser trapped within the glass by internal reflection. Now you're talking about transferring high amounts of energy outside of the glass. You can't have it both ways. Not to mention the absurd power levels needed to instantly vaporize large volumes of water, the damage incurred to the glass by the heat and reactivity of "vaporized dirt", the difficulties in aiming laserbeams through a thin panel to precisely strike these spots at high angles of incidence, etc. Surely you're joking.

Back