Official Ford Mustang Mach-E BECUV topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Seems like were getting close enough to production to start one. I'll change the title when we know its name. [Edit] Done.

Via IEVS:
Ford Mustang-Inspired Electric SUV Everything We Know: Range, AWD, RWD
https://insideevs.com/reviews/376978/ford-mustang-inspired-bev-battery-drive-options/

Apparently two battery sizes, 300 miles EPA for the bigger battery with RWD, RWD/AWD available, 150kW CCS charging (big battery), 47 miles of range in 10 minutes charging, 10-80% in 45 minutes, late 2020. It's got an aero- rather than squared-off roof profile, like the Model Y, so people like me who value cargo height and volume over aero will likely stay away, but competition is good. This may give the Model Y problems, as they likely won't have any fed. credit by the time the Model Y appears in more than token numbers, while Ford will still have the full $7,500. That will likely depend on reviews of both cars as well as their prices.

GCR:
Ford electric SUV gets a pony-car name: Mustang Mach-E
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126009_ford-electric-suv-gets-a-pony-car-name-mustang-mach-e

The fully electric Ford Mustang concocted for the annual SEMA show and revealed last week turned out to be quite the harbinger. With an announcement this morning, a fully electric Ford Mustang will be available at dealerships by the end of 2020.

Hold your horses. It’s not quite that Mustang...but one that definitely bears the Mustang badge and may cause a ruckus in some gasoline-swilling pony-car circles. Ford has simply decided to call its Mustang-inspired performance electric SUV the Mustang Mach-E.

It's planning to reveal the Mustang Mach-E this Sunday, November 17, at an event in Los Angeles featuring actor Idris Elba. The formal debut will follow three days later at the Los Angeles Auto Show. . . .

The Mustang Mach-E will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Europe and will also be available in China. For all but China, Ford will open reservations for the EV at Ford.com immediately following the reveal.

Hand-raisers will then be able to reserve a place in line with a $500 refundable deposit. Ford says that customers will also be able to spec out their vehicle at that time, and finalize the configuration next year with the opening of an ordering window. . . .

Supposed leaked pictures:

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945

Big Questions:

1 - What will the initial production volume be, and how will it ramp up?

2 - Is the battery actively managed?

3 - How will Ford prevent dealer mark-ups?

If the pictures are accurate, it's a beautiful car, except for the rear IMO. Should compete well with the Tesla model Y if it's actually available to more than California and other EV friendly states. Will probably have a $10K dealer markup at rollout, unless Ford does something about it.

My hope is that it is eventually produced in high enough volumes for the dealer price to come down substantially. (like the bolt and leaf) The MSRP is actually pretty competitive, but it will have to get in the mid $30K range to get widely adopted.

4 - how will Ford deal with dealer/salesman apathy/prejudice against electrification, as they shuffle a couple of these to the back of the lot and get back to the business of selling dozens of F150s on any given Saturday

LTLFTcomposite said:
4 - how will Ford deal with dealer/salesman apathy/prejudice against electrification, as they shuffle a couple of these to the back of the lot and get back to the business of selling dozens of F150s on any given Saturday

Another good question, although the opportunity to sell it at a mark-up will greatly increase dealer motivation. It's a double-edged sword.

ABG:
Ford Mustang Mach-E web page coughs up trove of secrets
Range, performance specs, prices — Ford's electric future starts at $43,895
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/14/ford-mustang-mach-e-web-page-leaks/

. . . A tinted panoramic roof fills the space overhead, over an interior playing up the minimalist possibilities. A traditional steering wheel gets controls on the spokes, and behind it, a 10.2-inch digital cluster. To the right of the steering wheel, what we'll guess is the start/stop button rests on the instrument panel. In the center of the dash resides a 15.5-inch, vertically-oriented rectangular touchscreen with some kind of dial-looking appendage at the bottom. For cargo, there's 29 cubic feet behind the second row, 59.6 cu-ft behind the first row — and a front trunk with 4.8 cubic feet. Valuables shouldn't go in the frunk, however, Ford explaining it as "water-resistant, it’s washable and features a convenient drain, making it perfect for tailgating, camping and muddy gear-toting."

The Mach-E will come in these five trims, with estimated ranges and prices before destination, and before any federal and state discounts are applied:

Select (230 miles): $43,895, available early 2021
Premium (300 miles): $50,600, available late 2020
California Route 1 (300 miles): $52,400, aviailable early 2021
The limited-build First Edition (270 miles): $59,900, available late 2020
GT (235 miles): $60,500: available early 2021

Standard features for all models include LED headlights and taillights, the side-door E-Latch and using a smartphone as a key, wireless phone charging, memory seats, navigation, Ford CoPilot 360 and 360 Assist 2.0, and an eight-year, 100,000-mile warranty on the battery. The entry-level Select trim can't be ordered with the panoramic roof, and makes tech like memory seats, power folding mirrors, and foot-activated tailgate optional. The panoramic roof is an option on the performance-focused GT, as are Active Park Assist and the 360-degree camera that come standard on every other trim but Select. Leather isn't an option at any price — the choices are either ActiveX on the Select and California Route 1, or Perforated ActiveX on the other three models.

There are two batteries: SR, for standard range, and ER, for, naturally, extended range.

— The Select trim comes in either RWD or AWD, paired only with the Standard Range (SR) battery. Ford intends the trim to have around 255 horsepower in RWD and AWD guises. Torque figures will be around 306 pound-feet for the RWD, 429 lb-ft for the AWD. Sitting on 18-inch, painted aluminum wheels, Acceleration to 60 mph is around mid-6 seconds with RWD, mid-5 seconds for AWD. Range for the rear-driver is around an EPA-rated 230 miles, dropping to 210 miles with all-wheel drive.

— The California Route 1 comes in RWD only and only with the ER battery. The targets are 282 hp and 306 lb-ft, giving it 27 hp more than the Select RWD. Estimated range is 300 miles. Sitting on a "magnetic-painted with sparkle silver" 18-inch wheel with a black aero cover, the 0-60 time should be about mid-6-seconds.

— The Premium trim presents the most choice, offering both powertrains and both batteries. The standard battery in RWD puts out 255 hp and doesn't list a torque figure, but we'll posit that it's the same 306 lb-ft of torque as on the Select. The SR battery with AWD returns 255 hp and 429 lb-ft. The ER battery in RWD makes 282 hp and 306 lb-ft, in AWD gets 333 hp and 429 lb-ft. As for estimated ranges, the figures are:

SR RWD - 230 miles
SR AWD - 210 miles
ER RWD - 300 miles
ER AWD - 270 miles

Wheels on the Premium are 19-inch machined-face aluminum with high gloss black-painted pockets.

— The First Edition comes only in AWD and with the extended battery, gunning for 333 hp and 429 lb-ft and a 270-mile range. It gets the same wheels as the Premium trim, and a mid-5-second 0-60 target time.

— The GT trim's spec table doesn't list battery options, only that AWD is the sole drive option. With the GT on 20-inch cast aluminum wheels with an aero cover, Ford wants a 250-mile range and a 0-60 time under 4 seconds. . . .

If the above info is accurate those prices are too expensive to be mass market, but assuming reviews are good it should provide head-to-head competition for the Model Y. Who knows, it may even beat it to market. If they hit their range specs it will also be the first non-Tesla 300 mile BEV.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/17/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-revealed-la-auto-show/ has a whole bunch of pics.

Will be very interesting to see how this sells. Will be hundreds or thousands of units per month or will it be a sales dud like the Focus Electric? (FFE sales at https://insideevs.com/news/341824/december-2018-us-plug-in-ev-sales-report-card/ (search for Focus) and https://insideevs.com/news/335276/december-2017-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/. Archives going further back at https://insideevs.com/news/344006/monthly-plug-in-report-card-archive/.)

Well that was a bit of a let down.
Canadian pricing, while slightly lower than US pricing at the current .75 exchange rate, is still too high to qualify for the Canadian federal EV incentive (base model needs to be under $45k for that).
Efficiency is mediocre - only 355 km from 76 kWh.
The AWD option makes efficiency even worse, even though the weight difference should be small and the aerodynamics identical - the 99 kWh AWD version will barely beat the range of the 64 kWh Hyundai Kona (and might even end up lower if Ford doesn't meet its targets).
Still no mention of a towing capacity, which it may need to compete with the Tesla Y.

I thought the reveal was entertaining, though the ford guy wasn't particularly natural in front of the camera.

They certainly had the model Y in mind as their competition. It is pretty comparable in most specs though a little less efficient. I think it is definitely better looking than the model Y, it has a more traditional interior, and I like that they put another screen behind the steering wheel so you don't have to look in the center to get info while you're driving.

With the full federal credit available at release it should be very competitive with the Tesla in terms of cost and likely a better value (at least up front) in a lot of ways. Particularly the base model which will start at $4k less and have another $7500 in tax credits after that. You are giving up 70 miles of range and a little acceleration but for $11.5k less (net) that's a trade-off I'd certainly make if I were looking for an EV crossover and didn't travel out of town often.

That said, it is still an expensive car and I don't know if people will pay that much for a small Ford crossover SUV... I also don't know if people will buy into them linking the Mustang heritage to a small crossover SUV. It is a stretch even if the Mach-E GT model will probably out accelerate their current Mustang GT 0-60. It is also their first attempt at a mass-produced BEV so I'm sure there will be some kinks to work out while a model Y is essentially a taller model 3 with a hatchback so Tesla should have figured most of it out already.

This looks promising.

There will now be two sub-$50k EVs (and ford has tax credit for a while, right?) that don't look goofy. Nissan, GM, etc. all very unappealing cars to the masses.

I've big mixed feelings about the Mustang name, but this is definitely the form factor that people are buying now. As for efficiency, who cares. It's EV it's inherently very efficient. Will be really interesting to see if these actually sell. The general public is still very much afraid of EV, but hopefully this works out for Ford.

Definitely the first true competitor to Tesla. I only hope the produce it in a volume that justifies all of the hype. I think it looks better than the Tesla, and there's hope that after initial release they might be available below MSRP. With the tax credit the total cost of ownership would be less than a comparable ICE cross-over, and Ford has market reach to educate the public on this.

I think the exterior is better than the Model Y, but can't really say until the production version is released. The Volt looked amazing in the reveal, and then looked like a POS once it was mass produced.

^^ While the cost of charging at home is a small part of the total cost of ownership in most cases, public charging isn't so cheap and efficiency controls how much time you spend charging compared to driving on longer trips. A lot of the level 3 infrastructure is only 50 kW, and when higher power is available it often comes with a large price premium.

Titanium48 said:
^^ While the cost of charging at home is a small part of the total cost of ownership in most cases, public charging isn't so cheap and efficiency controls how much time you spend charging compared to driving on longer trips. A lot of the level 3 infrastructure is only 50 kW, and when higher power is available it often comes with a large price premium.

Very True, but applies to all EVs, not just the new 'stang.

The Tesla charging network is still a major PRO for the model Y.

Back