GCC: 2020 MINI Cooper SE EV comes to US with MSRP of $29,900

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/10/20191029-mini.html

+ $850 D&H. The article has a long list of features including a heat pump, 50 kW CCS etc., but neglects to mention the pack size/range. However, it says "AC Charging at up to 7.4 kW, which allows for a 100% charge at home in as little as 4 hours", which tells us that the usable pack capacity can't be more than 29.6kWh and is probably less, unless they've over-sized the battery to avoid taper. Obviously an urban commuter only, but does this interest anyone at that price, given higher range options? You could buy an off-lease Bolt for a lot less, or a new 40kWh LEAF.

The linked article says that the car will be sold in all 50 states. We'll see, along with actual market prices.
Is the battery actively cooled ?

SageBrush said:
The linked article says that the car will be sold in all 50 states. We'll see, along with actual market prices.

I've been unable to find out, but as it's based on the i3 I'd expect so. I also found an article that claims total pack capacity is 32.6kWh.

BTW, here's an article from June that gets the price wrong, but asks much the same question I did. I mostly agree with his list of the minimum specs which should be expected of a BEV now:
Mini Cooper SE and BMW i3
Steve Birkett's picture
By Steve Birkett Jul 12 2019 - 2:38pm
2020 Mini Cooper SE Raises Questions Over What Should Be the Minimum EV Acceptable Range
https://www.torquenews.com/7893/202...be-minimum-acceptable-range-electric-vehicles

GRA said:
SageBrush said:

I've been unable to find out, but as it's based on the i3 I'd expect so. BTW, here's an article from June that gets the price wrong, but asks much the same question I did. I mostly agree with his list of the minimum specs which should be expected of a BEV now.

Minimum specs ... for who ?
For what use case ?
At what price ?

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:

I've been unable to find out, but as it's based on the i3 I'd expect so. BTW, here's an article from June that gets the price wrong, but asks much the same question I did. I mostly agree with his list of the minimum specs which should be expected of a BEV now.

For what use case ?
At what price ?

For general use. Obviously, people who are willing to settle for a local/commute only car can get away with less, but how big a market is that, especially in the U.S. at that price? $20k new would be one thing, but you can buy a 2017 Bolt for that, and use it for weekend trips too.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:

For what use case ?
At what price ?

For general use. Obviously, people who are willing to settle for a local/commute only car can get away with less, but how big a market is that, especially in the U.S. at that price? $20k new would be one thing, but you can buy a 2017 Bolt for that, and use it for weekend trips too.
A ~ 30 kWh BEV is just about by definition a local/commute car. As chief arbitrator of what everybody needs and wants, do tell us what the minimum specs are for a local/commuter car ?

^^^ i believe I already gave the most important spec, a price commensurate with capability. I repeat my question: given the available alternatives which provide greater range/size at the same price, or more range/size at a (used) lower price, is there likely to be much of a U.S. market for this car?

Get the price down to $15k and there probably is, but at $30k in 2019 rather than say 2013?

You have to be able to sleep in it without your toes touching anything. It has to be able to climb Pike's Peak with 7 adults and 450lbs of luggage without losing more than 10% range. It must have a highway range of at least 20% more than any EV on the market. And it has to have both sun and moon roofs - one or the other is NOT acceptable.

GRA said:
^^^ i believe I already gave the most important spec, a price commensurate with capability. I repeat my question: given the available alternatives which provide greater range/size at the same price, or more range/size at a (used) lower price, is there likely to be much of a U.S. market for this car?

Get the price down to $15k and there probably is, but at $30k in 2019 rather than say 2013?
I guess if you really like the styling of the MINI Cooper and you are ok with it's limited range(which some city dwellers might be) then it might be your car but if maximum range/$$ is on your priority list(or even maximum range period) then no, it probably won't be too popular :)

LeftieBiker said:
You have to be able to sleep in it without your toes touching anything. It has to be able to climb Pike's Peak with 7 adults and 450lbs of luggage without losing more than 10% range. It must have a highway range of at least 20% more than any EV on the market. And it has to have both sun and moon roofs - one or the other is NOT acceptable.

No, no, that's the road trip car, we're talking about the urban commuter. :lol:

OT: However, my personal road trip car requirements are somewhat less, and with slight modifications haven't changed in 30 years or so;

1. Yes on the sleeping space.

2. Trail Ridge Road (12,183' at the summit) in Rocky Mtn. NP with 4 adults and at least 250 lbs. of gear including 4 backpacks, with enough range to do so to/from the nearest QCs driving normally with free use of HVAC plus at least a 30 mile reserve, at any time when the road's open.

3. Highway range of at least 300 miles (with more preferred) to allow me to reach Lee Vining from home (207 miles, or half the range my current 16+ year-old ICE has) over Tioga Pass (ca. 100' to 9,941' then down to 6,780') for at least 12 years, conditions as in #2.

4. No sun/moon roof, just a simple metal roof is all that is needed or wanted.

5. Wagon/CUV body type, with steeply-sloped rear hatch to maximize cargo volume/height in the shortest possible length.

6. AWD.

7. Carriage space for spare (pref. full-size), jack, and tire iron, preferably without taking up any of the cargo area, but at worst with the tire standing upright against the left wall between the rear hatch and the shock tower, where it doesn't block vision to the right rear quarter, and takes up as little floor space in the cargo area as possible.

8. Cargo tie-downs sufficiently robust to prevent the spare above, or heavy, dense cargo such as scuba tanks from flying about in an accident and injuring/killing me or my pax.

9. The fastest possible energy replenishment, with some trading off between range and replenishment speed allowed, but a minimum of 4 hours hwy driving (at western U.S. speeds) with no more than 40 minutes of replenishment to do it again is desired.

10. Controls/displays used during driving to be physical controls, not on touchscreens.

11. Decent or better driving dynamics and performance.

12. Max. length 180" preferred, with 174"-176" strongly preferred.

13. A energy replenishment infrastructure that allows me to access the places I want to drive to, via the routes I wish to take.

14. CR reliability rated as above or much above average.

15. Priced as much below $40k as possible.

I've probably forgotten a few of the minor ones, but I think that's all the major ones, and both of the Subarus I've owned since 1988 could meet most or all of them (the '88 couldn't meet #1 so I had to sleep on a diagonal, which usually left me with a sore leg muscle due to holding myself in position against the inevitable slope and led to me adding req. #1; and I had to use the 2nd option for #7).

There's a large number of ICEs now that can meet all of them (although #10's getting scarcer), but no BEVs as yet although they're getting closer; FCEVs can meet most of them now except for #6, #11 and #13. I have hopes that one or more ZEVs will be able to meet them in the 2020-2022 time frame, and certainly expect one or more to do so by 2025.

GRA said:
^^^ i believe I already gave the most important spec, a price commensurate with capability.
That is not a car spec, that is a value judgement

Many Merkins dismiss small cars out of hand as poor value but the people that buy them think otherwise. I'll guess that the ICE mini is a fair bit more expensive than a Nissan Versa

As for the price -- cars outside of Tesla are typically sold for under msrp, this car has the full $7,500 tax credit, and in CA other credits likely apply. The article even said that in some markets it would cost ~ $17.5k, and that is presuming msrp.

Sure it's a value judgement, and everyone makes them before buying a car. I love driving a Mini, especially a Cooper S, but if it's a question of buying one I'm going to look at value for money, and as the Mini SE described doesn't really have enough range to play (which I'm defining as at least 1/2 and preferably 1 hour blasting along at speed on a fun road), the value just isn't there. A fun to drive car that spends all its time in stop and go traffic and lacks the range to get to where the roads are fun to drive, drive them and return just doesn't cross the value for money threshold.

I drove my (two-seat) Datsun 2000 Roadster for commuting and local use for years, but when I wanted to drive it like a maniac I didn't have to first check to see if I could even get to/from locations where the only person I could injure while doing so was me. So maybe they'll get a few people who'll buy a Mini SE because they think it's cute, but I don't see driving enthusiasts or the utilitarian crowd going for it.

Personally, my only issue with the car is the BMW origin since I value reliability. But that does not stop many others so I'll reserve judgement how well the car will do in the market. And a little voice in the back of my head says that despite the '50 state' statement by BMW the car will be made and sold for compliance reasons. I hope to be wrong.

I just put down a deposit on an SE this weekend. I don't expect it to appeal too much to the Leaf crowd. The Leaf is a very practical, but boring car. The Mini is impractical but fun. It will be my second - or possibly third car. I will commute in it. And I often find myself travelling alone these days - the sailboat has fallen out of favor with the kids, so I end up single-handing it a lot. And it's a nice ride through the country to get to the marina.

I do wish it had more range. As Guy points out, it's hard to get to a nice mountain road and back. The saving grace is the CCS port, and CCS chargers are becoming more common.

I don't ever think I will take it on a "road trip", although I guess I could. Tom Moloughney took one from northern NJ down to NC and back; over 500 miles each way. In my case, I have two kids. No way would they tolerate those tiny back seats for long. But going to gymnastics or martial arts, they will be fine.

If I did take it on a trip, it would be just myself. I would take my time, fold down both seats and throw my backpacking gear in the back. There are enough chargers in the northeast to get to some great trails in the Adirondacks, Catskills, or Green Mountains, even with the short range. The trip would be a whole day, but that's ok. For me, in a car like this, the journey is more important than the destination.

Back