Volvo XC40 EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrjones

About 3 or 4 months ago there was a bunch of news about a Volvo XC40 EV coming this year (or maybe it was for 2020)

Seems to me that would be a nice step up from the Leaf if one could afford it.

But I can't find any new info released more recently.

I often park my leaf right next to a newish XC40 at work and I have to say, it looks very nice.

GCR:
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV production begins, US deliveries by January

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...0-recharge-electric-suv-deliveries-by-january

. . . Revealed last October, the 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge final specs and pricing have yet to be confirmed for the U.S.

The Recharge was engineered and developed concurrently with the Polestar 2 by the same Volvo-led engineering teams in Sweden, and with the same designer, Thomas Ingenlath.

Both models have 78-kwh (75-kwh usable) battery packs configured into a ‘T’ under the back seat and drive tunnel, plus front and rear 150-kw motors. Volvo promises a 0-60 mph time of 4.7 seconds for the 402-hp dual-motor vehicle, as well as an expected range of more than 200 miles.

The XC40 Recharge can fast-charge at 150 kw, allowing a charge to 80% in about 40 minutes. At launch, the Android-based, Google-supported navigation system will have the capability to use energy consumption and the battery’s state of charge to suggest DC fast-charging stops along the route, modifying the arrival time based on the anticipated length of the charge stop.

Volvo confirmed that in U.S. spec the XC40 Recharge will come with a heat pump and other cold-weather features that correspond with its offering across the U.S., not just in California emissions states.

Volvo opened U.S. pre-orders for the XC40 Recharge back in January, and it’s reportedly sold out the first year of production based on the number of fully refundable $1,000 pre-orders it’s received. In the absence of exact pricing, Volvo has said the Recharge will cost about $55,000, or roughly $48,000 when factoring in the destination fee and eligibility for the $7,500 EV tax credit. . . .

Too expensive for me, but all competition is appreciated.

I noted that you can now pre-order and the price has been announced. While both my wife and myself love the size and space and look of the XC40, there is just no way. The EV version starts at $53990 and that's before a few packages & options - like color. And that is only for 250 miles of range, ON the WLPT cycle so maybe 215 miles EPA?

The AUDI Q4 ETRON is going to be priced better and have more range - estimated to start around 45k and ~ 280 miles range.

The XC40 Recharge is a very hard sell.

Volvo is serious about EV. But not really.

Their T8 trim is prohibitively expensive. This recharge for me would do fine for me (200 mile range is no problem at all--have an ICE for out-of-town stuff)--and I have a volvo I am looking to replace with another soon--but I'm sure it would be exorbitantly expensive--far more after lease than its similarly priced ICE variants.

I just configured my XC40 Recharge. I put the $1000 deposit down earlier this year. I may not consummate the deal after a test drive, but for now it's the only EV that fills the sweet spot for me combining high ground clearance and seating position, AWD, and small enough to fit in my garage and park in smaller spots where I go frequently, like Rancho San Antonio where parking is always tight. It is expensive, but its competitors are even more so (Jaguar I-Pace, BMWix3,Audi eTron, Tesla, etc.) as well as most being too big. The 208 EPA range doesn't bother me since I've only driven over 100 miles at one time once in the last 5 years and we have an ICE for that anyway.

My 2011 Leaf SL has only 33600 miles on it, but has the original battery (down 3 bars) and its practical freeway+climate control+music range is probably only 40 miles or so. Other than range, the only significant fault with the Leaf is the lack of a decent heater. Ever since the remote heating option disappeared, it's miserable starting up and driving for the first two miles in 30-40 degree weather. I can't even defrost the windshield for several minutes which means starting the car and sitting in the cold or leaving it running on the street while I go back inside. When 2G went away and Nissan devised the new widget to restore that function, I shelled out the money for it, but it never worked reliably and I eventually got my money back. Fortunately here in the Bay Area, winter weather is mild, so this isn't what I'd call a major problem. Still, I'm looking forward to a car with heated seats, a good sound system and all the modern safety and convenience features of a new high-end car.

Won't the Audi Q4 Etron be in that price range, or even lower? I thought the Q4 Etron was suppose to start around 45k when it goes on sale next year. If that actually happens, I'll have to check it out along with the VW ID4.

Rat said:
My 2011 Leaf SL has only 33600 miles on it, but has the original battery (down 3 bars) and its practical freeway+climate control+music range is probably only 40 miles or so. Other than range, the only significant fault with the Leaf is the lack of a decent heater. Ever since the remote heating option disappeared, it's miserable starting up and driving for the first two miles in 30-40 degree weather. I can't even defrost the windshield for several minutes which means starting the car and sitting in the cold or leaving it running on the street while I go back inside.
I just realized you're in Silicon Valley. If you finally got a smartphone, DrivetheARC (https://drivethearc.com/) might be useful to you (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30793) if you want free DC FC juice. Unfortunately, for the Bay Area, it's only a very limited subset of EVgo stations.

I've gotten probably over 400 kWh of free DC FC juice from them.

That's too bad about the slow heater. The hybrid heater in my '13 Leaf heats up quickly. By the time I've backed out of my garage onto the driveway, I have warm air coming from the vents. My Bolt's power pig water heater also isn't slow to heat.

LeftieBiker said:
The only way to deal with a first gen heater is to preheat while plugged in, before leaving.

Must have been a significant change after that. I know my 2018 heater works great. Of course I'm only "CA Cold". 41F bone chilling degrees this morning! LOL! Though sometimes mid winter we get into low teens but its a "DRY COLD"....

So has anyone checked out the Q4 Etron? Starting at 45k with 280 miles of estimated range doesn't sound TOO bad for the luxury segment and certainly beats the Volvo in both price and range, though I do like Volvo for other reasons. Could be more like 250 miles of range once rated but that still beats the Volvo.

I feel like most manufacturers are settling in on 250 miles range. Tesla is pushing for more, but as we are seeing in the more mature ev markets, that extra range is much less of a differentiator.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm
The only way to deal with a first gen heater is to preheat while plugged in, before leaving.

Must have been a significant change after that. I know my 2018 heater works great. Of course I'm only "CA Cold". 41F bone chilling degrees this morning! LOL! Though sometimes mid winter we get into low teens but its a "DRY COLD"....

The 2011 & 2012 Leaf uses a terrible liquid-based heating system that forces you (unless you add a heater OFF switch) to preheat the fluid unless it's really warm outside. Starting in 2013, the resistance heater is direct-to-air, and you have experienced the improvement in heating time.

LeftieBiker said:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm

The 2011 & 2012 Leaf uses a terrible liquid-based heating system that forces you (unless you add a heater OFF switch) to preheat the fluid unless it's really warm outside. Starting in 2013, the resistance heater is direct-to-air, and you have experienced the improvement in heating time.
Just to clarify, with the climate control OFF it also doesn't heat the liquid but your correct, turning it ON even with the heat set as low as it can go, it will heat the liquid loop without the switch :)
As you've also pointed out in the past, it's slow to heat as like an ICE heater it needs to heat up the liquid loop and also has losses not seen on post '12 Leaf heaters.

danrjones said:
Won't the Audi Q4 Etron be in that price range, or even lower? I thought the Q4 Etron was suppose to start around 45k when it goes on sale next year. If that actually happens, I'll have to check it out along with the VW ID4.

The reading I've seen says the Etron will be more expensive. It's also 19 inches longer than the XC40 and would be a very tight fit in my garage. It has lower ground clearance, too, although it has adjustable suspension that allows it to have more. I don't fully trust Audi, either, after the VW EPA mileage scandal.

My Volvo is due into port (Savannah, GA) tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how long it will take to get across the country. I can back out at any time prior to taking delivery, but I liked the one I test drove and have no intention of canceling as long as the dealer doesn't try to pull some fast one and tack on extra. I know some dealers have them on the lot and are selling at MSRP.

I was mistaken. The ship with my Volvo on it did arrive in port at Savannah as expected, but is now on its way to the Panama Canal. I assume my car is still on it and will make its way to California by ship, not go by car carrier on the highway. Volvo didn't tell me in what port it was be offloaded.

Why did you get an xc40 EV over, say, a model y?

I’m close to buying a t8, but only because I have an employee discount, loyalty bonus, and Volvo has a bunch of stuff stacked on s60s right now. I’d prefer an xc40 EV but they are more expensive at this time to lease.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

I’m close to buying a t8, but only because I have an employee discount, loyalty bonus, and Volvo has a bunch of stuff stacked on s60s right now. I’d prefer an xc40 EV but they are more expensive at this time to lease.

Several reasons. The Model Y is too low and too long, among others. The Model Y and almost all others I considered would be a very tough fit in my short garage. I want a small SUV to get the added height and ground clearance, too. I always swore that I'd never get an SUV, but it's almost impossible to see in traffic, or while backing out of parking or making a right turn while an SUV or pickup on your left blocks the view of oncoming traffic. More than 60% of all passenger vehicles are either SUVs or Pickup trucks. Plus I have a hobby of geocaching and the AWD and ground clearance is good for the light off-roading that requires. The Y has AWD, too, but not the rest. The closest other models I considered were the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and the Audi e-Tron. I owned a Volvo C70 before the Leaf and loved it, and have confidence in the quality of Volvo products. I don't have confidence Tesla will even be around in 10 years. I think Musk is crazy and books are probably cooked.

Rat said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Several reasons. The Model Y is too low and too long, among others. The Model Y and almost all others I considered would be a very tough fit in my short garage. I want a small SUV to get the added height and ground clearance, too. I always swore that I'd never get an SUV, but it's almost impossible to see in traffic, or while backing out of parking or making a right turn while an SUV or pickup on your left blocks the view of oncoming traffic. More than 60% of all passenger vehicles are either SUVs or Pickup trucks. Plus I have a hobby of geocaching and the AWD and ground clearance is good for the light off-roading that requires. The Y has AWD, too, but not the rest. The closest other models I considered were the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and the Audi e-Tron. I owned a Volvo C70 before the Leaf and loved it, and have confidence in the quality of Volvo products. I don't have confidence Tesla will even be around in 10 years. I think Musk is crazy and books are probably cooked.

I like the XC40 but decided the range is just way too low given the price, which I think is way too high. If the Audi Etron Q4 comes in at a starting price of 45k with 250 miles or more of range, then I'd go Audi.

Back