GRA

GCC: Toyota premieres Toyota-brand battery electric vehicles ahead of 2020 China launch

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 pm

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... china.html
Toyota premiered its C-HR and IZOA battery electric vehicles (BEVs) as part of its activities on the opening day of Auto Shanghai 2019. The C-HR and IZOA will be the first battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) to launch in China under the Toyota brand. Sales on the new models are slated to start from 2020.

Toyota’s other booth exhibits at the show include a variety of electrified vehicles, such as the debut of hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) variants for the RAV4 and the Alphard/Vellfire in China, as well as the Corolla and Levin plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) series that were launched in March 2019. . . .

Beginning with the China debut of the electrified C-HR and IZOA vehicle models, Toyota plans to roll out more than ten BEV models globally during the first half of the 2020s, and has set a sales target of more than 5.5 million electrified vehicles globally by 2030. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: GCC: Toyota premieres Toyota-brand battery electric vehicles ahead of 2020 China launch

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:14 pm

"electrified" is the same language used by VW to muddy the waters. They include hybrid, hybrid plug-in, and BEV in the count.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: GCC: Toyota premieres Toyota-brand battery electric vehicles ahead of 2020 China launch

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Toyota has a problem (aside from their dislike of EVs, but maybe related to it): they don't have a good battery, or even good battery chemistry, to work with - they will have to start almost from scratch to build a long range EV battery. They have mainly been using strictly regulated NiMH batteries in their very successful hybrids, and unremarkable small lithium packs in their PHEVs and the Prius Eco. IOW, they have no experience with building what they will need to build. The RAV-4 EV used a Tesla drivetrain, including the battery, IIRC, and they haven't built another real EV for market, AFAIK...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 pm

SageBrush wrote:"electrified" is the same language used by VW to muddy the waters. They include hybrid, hybrid plug-in, and BEV in the count.
As they are all EVs to one extent or another I'm okay with "electrified" - that's what adjectives and prefixes are for. As to China, I imagine they'll be using Chinese batteries, at least until they're comfortable with the solid-state batteries that Toyota's been developing for years.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

SageBrush

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 pm

GRA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:"electrified" is the same language used by VW to muddy the waters. They include hybrid, hybrid plug-in, and BEV in the count.
As they are all EVs to one extent or another I'm okay with "electrified" - that's what adjectives and prefixes are for. As to China, I imagine they'll be using Chinese batteries, at least until they're comfortable with the solid-state batteries that Toyota's been developing for years.
You might as well count your Subaru then too. After all, it *does" have a battery and an alternator.

You can be the President of the 'No Car Left Behind' club
-----

LeftieBiker

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 pm

"Electrified" is new enough to be confusing to some, but it's also accurate enough that I don't see why it shouldn't be used. What would be better? "Electric-ish"? "Partial EV"? "Near-EV"?
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:25 am

A couple years ago Toyota said they would be producing cars with solid state batteries by 2020. Not a word since. It's amazing how these companies put these things out there just to try and stay relevant, and they never get called on it. Tesla is the only company that is profitably mass producing electric cars, yet they are extremely polarizing as a company. They are too optimistic in their marketing announcements, but clearly they aren't the only car company guilty of this. At least they follow through.

SageBrush

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 am

LeftieBiker wrote:"Electrified" .... it's also accurate enough that I don't see why it shouldn't be used.
It includes up to a 100x inaccuracy in battery kWh using current car models.

So when Toyota says they will build 5M "electrified" cars, are they talking about 5M kWh of battery or 500M kWh of battery, or something, somewhere, in between ?

Perhaps the meaning of 100x range is not clear to you. As an example:
Just like you, we live on a budget. It is in the range of $1,000 - $100,000 a month.
-----

LeftieBiker

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:59 am

I try not to get too upset by car manufacturers acting like con men, because too many of them are doing it. If you can't invent a better term, Sagebrush, then try to stay clam when you read "electrified."
BAFX OBDII Dongle

GRA

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:
You might as well count your Subaru then too. After all, it *does" have a battery and an alternator.

You can be the President of the 'No Car Left Behind' club
I'm not the only one who describes modern ICEs as "electrified" vehicles, but for purposes of the discussion here, "electrified vehicles" means (Maglevs aside) any land, sea or air vehicle propelled partly or solely by electric motor(s). Where and how the electricity is generated and whether or not it's used as produced or is stored first (and where) is for the prefixes. Any other definition of an EV leaves out way too many vehicles that are unquestionably "electric".

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”