Looking for a cheap, used EV. Thoughts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garsh

My 2012 Leaf is unfortunately no longer able to meet my needs. I bought a Tesla Model 3 to replace it for my own needs, but I had planned to keep the Leaf for my 16yo to use. But the battery is just too degraded, and it no longer has enough range to handle local trips in cold weather.

So I'm looking to replace it before next winter. According to some posts here, it looks like Nissan updated to a better battery chemistry in mid-2013. So one idea is to replace it with a 2014 or newer Leaf. Is the battery that much better? This car will spend all of it's time parked outdoors, but I'm in Pittsburgh, so there are only a handful of really hot summer days each year.

When I checked Carvana, the least expensive EVs were:
  • Chevy Spark EV
  • Fiat 500e

Any thoughts on these cars? I'm especially interested to find out how the batteries fair in these other vehicles. Are they actively cooled?

The Spark is fast and powerful, but very small - it makes the Bolt look big. It is also long out of production.The 500e was made by a company that hates EVs and doesn't have a good reliability record. I suggest you read my used Leaf buying guide.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

I assume that Pittsburgh is a little warmer than Albany. That being the case, a pre-4/2013 Leaf will still degrade quickly enough to make you regret buying one.

FIAT - Fix it again Tony.
Horrible reliability record. Bottom of the pile in Consumer's.

Again, from the recent Consumers Report, 2015 seem to be one of the better Leafs. 2016 have more problems.

Back