Official Audi Q4 e-tron topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

GCC:
Audi unveils MEB-based Q4 e-tron concept EV; production version in 2020
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/03/20190305-audigims.html

. . . The front and rear axles are each powered by an electric motor—the Q4 is a quattro. There is no mechanical connection between the axles. Instead, an electronic control ensures that the torque distribution is coordinated optimally.

In most cases, the Audi Q4 e-tron concept mainly uses its rear electric motor, a permanently excited synchronous motor, in order to achieve the highest efficiency. For reasons of efficiency, the drive torque is generally distributed with a rear-axle bias.

If the driver demands more power than the rear electric motor can supply, the electric all-wheel drive uses the front asynchronous motor to redistribute the torque as required to the front axle. This also happens predictively even before slip occurs in icy conditions or when cornering fast, or if the car understeers or oversteers.

The electric motor in the rear end has an output of 150 kW and mobilizes a torque of 310 N·m; the front engine supplies the front wheels with up to 75 kW and 150 N·m. The system power is 225 kW.

The battery in the vehicle floor stores 82 kWh, which allows for a range of more than 450 kilometers (280 miles) according to the WLTP standard. The battery is charged with a maximum of 125 kW. As a result, it can take hardly more than 30 minutes to return to 80% of the total capacity.

The battery system weighs 510 kilograms; the center of gravity of the Audi Q4 e-tron concept is therefore at a similar level to that of a sedan with a conventional drive system. Axle load distribution is perfectly balanced at almost 50:50.

From the low aerodynamic drag of the body, whose Cd value is 0.28, to the sophisticated recuperation strategy, the compact SUV uses every opportunity to optimize its range. The complex thermal management of the drive and battery, which involves a CO2 heat pump, also contributes to this.

The Q4 e-tron concept accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds. It reaches its maximum speed at an electronically limited 180 km/h (112 mph).

Compact on the outside, spacious on the inside: dimensions and interior 4.59 meters long, 1.90 meters wide, 1.61 meters tall [180.7" x 74.8" x 63.4"]: With its dimensions, the Audi Q4 e-tron concept takes its position in the upper third of the compact class. . . .
This is getting to where it could meet my major requirements: An AWD CUV, no more than about 15' (180") long, relatively fast QC'ing, marginally adequate range (I'm figuring 240-250 EPA, although 300+ EPA would be better). It's wider than I'd like. Probably be priced too high given the "Audi price increment" compared to a VW, but if VW were to come out with an equivalent, I could see it.

Back